mitch.snyder

no I-94 at the border!

13 posts in this topic

I didn't get an I-94 when I went across the border is this going to be an issue??

Just so you all know I'm on a K-1 visa.

Thanks!

Ah, good times. Same happened to me. YES, this is going to be an issue. You must have the I-94 with your documents to apply for AOS, etc. (actually, I shouldn't really say it's an ISSUE, as it's easily corrected, but just know that you must get the I-94)

I'll assume that you at least got a stamp on your visa/passport when you crossed? Tell me they at least stamped it. lol

Go to your local deferred inspection site : http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/contacts/deferred_inspection/deferred_inspection_sites.ctt/deferred_inspection_sites.pdf

They will be able to issue you a proper I-94 dated with the date of your stamp.

Here's more info about them: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/deferred_inspection/

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah, good times. Same happened to me. YES, this is going to be an issue. You must have the I-94 with your documents to apply for AOS, etc. (actually, I shouldn't really say it's an ISSUE, as it's easily corrected, but just know that you must get the I-94)

I'll assume that you at least got a stamp on your visa/passport when you crossed? Tell me they at least stamped it. lol

Go to your local deferred inspection site : http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/contacts/deferred_inspection/deferred_inspection_sites.ctt/deferred_inspection_sites.pdf

Here's more info about them: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/deferred_inspection/

thanks!

Timeline

ugh! my closest branch is 3 hours away!!! that is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

That's a long walk. Can't you borrow a bicycle from someone?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Yep, I feel your pain. Mine was almost a 2 hr drive away. :( I responded to your PM. Hope it helps! Good luck :thumbs:

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

It is a US CBP form used for non-immigrant visas (Yes, used for a K-1 as well), which states your purpose of visit to the states, your address in the States, your visa/passport information! Basically, a record of your entry into the States! You need to keep the stamped portion of the I-94 as you need if for your AOS! It also has your alien # on the back, the CBP officer will make a note of it!

Hope this helps!

KnR aka slider100

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, thanks so much for the answer! What is I might be going to visit my fiance. Should I get one before I go, or like mentioned in this thread, do it after? Does it matter?

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

Well, if you are a Canadian citizen, you won't need an I-94 as you will only be "visiting" your fiance. The I-94 forms are available at the airport. However, when you activate your K-1 visa, you will need to fill out an I-94. The CBP officer will let you know so you don't need to worry about that!

KnR aka slider100

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, thanks so much for the answer! What is I might be going to visit my fiance. Should I get one before I go, or like mentioned in this thread, do it after? Does it matter?

The I-94 is issued to all non-immigrants entering the US - except for Canadians under most circumstances - and is known as an entry-exit visa. When you enter for a visit as a Canadian you do not need an I-94 due to the special relationship that has been set in place for Canadian visitors. If you are entering the US for any other non-immigrant purpose and have an actual 'hard copy' visa, then you would be issued an I-94. The I-94 basically is evidence of your 'permission' to be in the US. The visa allows you entry - the I-94 dictates how long you are to remain in the US and is decided at the border by the border authority. You are supposed to turn in the I-94 when you leave the country as proof that you have not overstayed your authorized visit.

When you enter using a K-1 visa you will be given (or are supposed to be!) an I-94 that is stamped with a date 90 days in advance. That is the length of time you have in which to fulfill the condition of the K-1 visa - get married. Once those 90 days expires your status in the US also expires. If you did get married, then you are allowed to apply to become a permanent resident based upon satisfying the K-1 visa. Ideally, you would do this before the I-94 expires so you maintain a valid status in the US. You need to include a copy of the I-94 with the application to become a permanent resident to prove that you did indeed get married within the allotted 90 days.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.