Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

travelling outside US

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

6 months after that you need to get a letter from the US embassy at the country you are living .

04/30/10 First medical appointment

05/03/10 Medical done

05/04/10 Send AOS to Chicago

05/05/10 Delivered at Chicago 10:25AM (day 1)

05/10/10 Receipt e-mail and text MSG :) 3:44PM (day 6)

05/11/10 Checks cash (day 7)

05/13/10 Hard copies of 3 NOA on the mail (day 9)

05/13/10 All forms "touch"(day 9)

05/24/10 biometrics appt letter, dated 05/14 appt 06/03 :) ( day 20)

05/26/10 Biometrics done via walk in 10:30AM (day 22)

05/27/10 Update on I-485 and I-765 (day 23)

06/11/10 Call USCIS for expedite EAD(day 38)

06/11/10 Update on I-765(day 38)

06/21/10 Update on I-765 Card production ordered (day 48)

06/25/10 Update on I-765 2nd Card production ordered (day 52)

06/29/10 Update on I-765 approval send (day 56)

07/02/10 EAD card received (day 59)

07/06/10 Interview letter on the mail!! (day 63)

08/10/10 Interview day APPROVED No USCIS until 2020!!(day 98)

07/10/10 SS card received

08/10/10 Update on I-485 Card production Ordered (day 98)

08/13/10 Update on I-485 2nd Card production ordered (day 101)

08/14/10 Welcome letter and approval notice received (day 102)

08/23/10 Green card received (day 111)


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 months, after that you may have to prove that you maintained your residence in the US. Keep in mind that if you stay for a year or longer (2 years maximum), you will need to apply for a reentry permit BEFORE you leave.

So let's say your US employer wants you to work 1 year abroad. You then can show that your absence is only temporary, for 1 year, after which you will return. You get a reentry permit at which time you basically make your plans known to USCIS and that will be okay as well.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If i have a green card valid for 10 years and i want to go home to my home country for a while, how long am i valid to stay outside US without any problem of coming back? thanks

Or since you've already filed for naturalization, you can wait a few months (if your travel is not time sensitive) and then leave as a U.S citizen and not have to worry about length of stay outside.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.