5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

To whom it may concern,

I am in the process of sponsoring my wife to change her status from Student to Permanent resident.

I sent in the application for the I-864 and the money. I recieved a letter back for initial evidence of income because last year my required income went down.

Because of the economy my income was cut in half, however, I have started my own business being self employed. I have received over $ 12,000 since the first of the year. I have photo copies of checks where I worked for a home owner and paystubbs from working for the banks. Will this be enough? Some jobs the home owner paid cash. Can you tell me if this will work for me submit new proof of income?

Thank you!

Steven

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow, no one wants to touch this. For those that are more informed than me, I'm just offering my thoughts in lieu of no response at all -- not hard advice. Correct at will.

The first thing we need to establish is how many people are in your household (you + fiancée + other dependents), your taxable income from last year (line 22 on your federal return), and whether you have any cash (or liquid) assets that can come into play.

When you were RFE'd on the I-864 Affidavit of Support, am I right that you mean your income fell below the poverty guideline? If so, how far? If it is only you and your fiancée, you'd have to have made $18,212 to meet the minimum requirement -- as evidenced by your return, i.e. income claimed via your return. If you have additional dependents, refer to the following link to see what respective income you must meet:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Assets can offset that, but must preferably be cash or easily turned to cash within a year without undue hardship. This means physical assets are less desirable, i.e. personal belongings and real estate.

Using your current income is problematic in that whatever you received under the table and have not (or do not intend to) claimed will not factor into your reported income on the I-864. Someone like Pushbrk would be able to offer great advice in that respect.

In a situation like this where a petitioner is clearly having difficultly meeting the poverty guidelines, most will suggest he/she secure a joint sponsor that can. Of course, this is sometimes easier said than done.

Respond with your specific info, and I'm sure by Monday folks will chime in with more info.

Good luck.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you Alcheringa for your reply!

I have $8,730. with paystubs or copies of checks and invoices. I also have another invoice sent out for payment for $3,962 and an approved bid for $4,764 that will be done in 8 days. On top of that, I have a referal fee for over $500 payable on the 6th on a home that sold. Thats over $13,000 since January. Only the foreclosed, bank paid jobs have I reported to Unemployment.

I received this letter.

The Request for additional evidence says;

The petitioners income on the Federal income tax return does not meet or exceed 125% of the poverty guideline. The petitioners lists their income of the form I-864 and an amount to be considered as sufficient; however, no evidence has been submitted as proof of current income.

Please submit evidence of the petitioners current income. Such evidence should include:

Letter of employment containing the following:

Dates of employement

Nature of the job

Wages or salay earned

number of hours worked per week

Prospects for future employment

Paystubs or other documentation for the previous 6 months

We had 2 joint sponsors fall thru and now I am looking for options where this info has to be in the mail by Tuesday may the 4th to make our deadline.

To answer your questions, My income from my taxes missed the target by $600. I dont have any liquid assets as I a have liquidated everything already. My wife is who I am sponsoring. She came first in Nove 2008 on a student Visa. We quickly married and petitioned for her 3 year old daugher to join us, which she did last June, 2009. The daughter has gotten her Green card and now we are working to change my wifes status from Student to permanent resident.

But like I said, My income has dropped from one full time job I had and picked up just in the last couple of months with the Home Services job I started. In the past I just wrote everything off as a loss on the homes services and paid taxes on my full time job.

Again, Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You may want to send Pushbrk or Jimvaphuong a PM, as they have quite a bit of knowledge in this area --

I do not know how - or whether it is feasible - to make an income projection for bidded contract work that does not necessarily generate a definite cash flow each month, particularly if you do not have a history of tax evidence to support its viability in past years. Is it enough to present invoices, checks and pay stubs? I really can't say.

If one of those guys gets back with you in time, I'd like to hear their solution myself.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

To whom it may concern,

I am in the process of sponsoring my wife to change her status from Student to Permanent resident.

I sent in the application for the I-864 and the money. I recieved a letter back for initial evidence of income because last year my required income went down.

Because of the economy my income was cut in half, however, I have started my own business being self employed. I have received over $ 12,000 since the first of the year. I have photo copies of checks where I worked for a home owner and paystubbs from working for the banks. Will this be enough? Some jobs the home owner paid cash. Can you tell me if this will work for me submit new proof of income?

Thank you!

Steven

as this is about changing status from student to permanent resident, i'm moving it from the pi regional to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas.

you should get a wider range of replies in this new forum.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.