charger70

Where to withdraw money in Kiev?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I will be going to Kiev in a month. I need to withdraw money so I can pay for a vacation trip my Fiancé and I are taking. I am not carrying cash because I am in Iraq. Where is a good place to withdraw money so I can pay for my trip and also buy stuff while I am there? I will also be in Germany and I know that I can withdraw some money there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I will be going to Kiev in a month. I need to withdraw money so I can pay for a vacation trip my Fiancé and I are taking. I am not carrying cash because I am in Iraq. Where is a good place to withdraw money so I can pay for my trip and also buy stuff while I am there? I will also be in Germany and I know that I can withdraw some money there.

I'm assuming you have an ATM card. Most ATM cards, provided they have visa on them, will work in Russia (I can't speak specifically to Ukraine, but I don't think it's different). You should call your bank ahead of time to make sure they don't have fraud/theft protections that would get in your way when making withdrawals in foreign countries. I never had a problem but I know some people's banks wouldn't let them withdraw until they called in.

In reality, provided you have worked things out to know that you will be able to withdraw cash in Ukraine, I wouldn't bring too much cash or withdraw much in Germany. You'll have to find somewhere to exchange it to local currency.

Also, see what the fees are from your bank. Some banks charge a couple percent for international withdrawals.

I had no problems with ATM,s anywhere in Ukraine. One card that my pin started with 0 would not work, but I hear that is a known issue.

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

ATM cards work fine everywhere in Ukraine. Ukrainian banks also don't charge fees, but the US banks charge 1) foreign ATM fees, and 2) currency conversion fees. They also round down, and keep the difference. Because the conversion fees are a percentage of the transaction usually, they can be steep.

When I go to Ukraine I usually carry plenty of cash, although I understand that in your circumstances you wouldn't want to walk around too long with a large amount. You might try to draw as much pay in cash as possible just before you leave (not sure if you guys can do that now - old school stuff there). Also, if there is a base in Germany you can get to, the bank on the base should be able to cash a check. Thinking out loud, but you could also use Western Union to wire yourself cash and pick it up in Ukraine anywhere. Years ago, Western Union (on the base) waived most fees for active duty personnel.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Most any ATM and they are everywhere, I think more than here. You will get the official exchange rate this way. Be SURE to tell your bank about your travel plans. We use this method all the time. Alla will be leaving in a couple weeks and will take a few hundred Hryvnia and Rubles from the last trip with her and then get cash as she needs it there. Several of the banks in Donetsk and Moscow do not charge an ATM fee and our bank only charges $1 per withdraw.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I had no problems with ATM,s anywhere in Ukraine. One card that my pin started with 0 would not work, but I hear that is a known issue.

My PIN often started with zero (0) and never was denied in Russia and/or Ukraine.

Some ATMs will limit the amount you can withdraw to very little. Therefore, try a few different banks until you find one that works for you better. It is a hassle to have to withdraw money everyday or have to use three different banks the same day.

Timeline

ATM cards work fine everywhere in Ukraine. Ukrainian banks also don't charge fees, but the US banks charge 1) foreign ATM fees, and 2) currency conversion fees. They also round down, and keep the difference. Because the conversion fees are a percentage of the transaction usually, they can be steep.

When I go to Ukraine I usually carry plenty of cash, although I understand that in your circumstances you wouldn't want to walk around too long with a large amount. You might try to draw as much pay in cash as possible just before you leave (not sure if you guys can do that now - old school stuff there). Also, if there is a base in Germany you can get to, the bank on the base should be able to cash a check. Thinking out loud, but you could also use Western Union to wire yourself cash and pick it up in Ukraine anywhere. Years ago, Western Union (on the base) waived most fees for active duty personnel.

Brad,

Find a bank that does not charge exchange, ATM, or any other fees. They exist. I don't even get charge the customary 3% fee for international transactions with my Credit Card. It is great if you spend money in other currencies, even through Internet (like sending flowers to the MIL on March 8th)

Brad,

Find a bank that does not charge exchange, ATM, or any other fees. They exist. I don't even get charge the customary 3% fee for international transactions with my Credit Card. It is great if you spend money in other currencies, even through Internet (like sending flowers to the MIL on March 8th)

Thanks, but I thought all banks charge fees for conversion. Honestly, I usually carry cash, so I seldom worry about the ATM fees any way. When I buy stuff like flowers I use paypal or something, and just pay in dollars.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Only problem I had was after first use of my card, mastercard decided to cancell for fear of fraud. I had even called and emailed my bank before I went. Someone droped the ball at my bank. I would advise that you inform your finiancial institution of you trip as to avoid this. Even when it happened it really was no biggie, a simple phone call and it was working fine. Another thing I did was moneygram my fiance some cash a few days before I went and she picked it up. I was also concerned about having alot of cash on my person. But knowing what I know now, In the future I will carry as much as needed I had no problems while there. And now I can not wait to get back there and bring her home.

Have a great trip

Met online Sep 26 2009

Traveled to Ukraine Jan 22 2010

Spent 33 wonderful days together

Returned to US Feb 25 2010

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

Spending a week in Odessa and Kherson together 5-19-10 :)))))

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

NOA 2 Hard copy receive 6-29-10

NVC forward to Kiev 6-29-10 That was easy :)

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

Leave US 8-10 to attend interview

Interview 8-12-2010 :)))))))

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

POE Houston Tx. 8-20-2010

MARRIED Sep 25 2010 :))))))

Timeline

I will have to check with my bank. So far they have never blocked me if my charges were not too high. Wiring money to myself might be an option. Then withdrawing money for other fees. I will talk to my bank and see what they charge. I need about 1800 for vacation plans and that might be a way to get a good portion of that into my hands.

Thanks for the advice. I hope I can find a bank or two that will allow me to withdraw a decent sum of money.

Cranehand above had a good suggestion too. We use Moneygram to send money to Ukraine all the time. It costs about $10 at Wall Mart, while Western Union can run $30-$40 to send $500. The issue will be how many Moneygram locations are there where you are going, and can you send a moneygram from your present location. Western Union is pretty much everywhere.

You may have a real problem if you try to draw money from a bank in Ukraine with a credit or debit card. Make sure that your passport name and card name match exactly, or the bank may take the card. Fraud is a concern there.

Regardless of where you get money while in Ukraine, if you are in a bank or wire shop, you may want to ask for dollars if you plan to leave cash behind. The hrvna is always more shaky than the dollar, but sometimes institutions cap the amount of dollars they will give you, or claim to run out of dollars. And guard your identity by never disclosing your SSN.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I will have to check with my bank. So far they have never blocked me if my charges were not too high. Wiring money to myself might be an option. Then withdrawing money for other fees. I will talk to my bank and see what they charge. I need about 1800 for vacation plans and that might be a way to get a good portion of that into my hands.

Thanks for the advice. I hope I can find a bank or two that will allow me to withdraw a decent sum of money.

Mnay banks restrict transactions in Ukraine and Russia unless you notify them ahead of time. It is not unusual for us to be there more than one month and last summer I had notified my bank of a two month trip but after one month the "autorization" expired and we had to call the bank and reinstate the authority, Not a big deal, but when you are 7 hours ahead in time, it can be late afternoon before your ATM card gets working again.

Check with your bank. I am going there tomorrow to meet with the branch officer and inform her of our plans for this summer and get it set up. I will then call the day before traveling and re-verify.

The banks we use in Donetsk and Moscow do not charge any fees and our bank charges only $1 per transaction at a foreign ATM and no fee for Point of Sale use. We don not do much "point of sale" use in Ukraine or Russia, just cash withdrawl mostly. at $1 per transaction, we even do a few transactions to get enough money to pay our son's tuition and it is much cheaper than bank wire fees.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I just returned from Ukraine. Usually I tell my bank ahead of time. This time I did not. I had no problems withdrawing money from the ATM machines.

B.

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

We always notify our credit card companies of our plans to be abroad and the dates. I also give myself plenty of lag time in case there are delays. As to Western Union, I use that all the time to send money to my mother in law. I have started using their delayed service (48 hours) and it is much cheaper. I sent $600 last month and the cost was only $18.

If you and fiancee are planning a vacation through a travel service, have her book it through them and charge it to your credit card. Of course, you must let your credit card company know of your plans.

Have a great trip! :dance:

You should be able to withdraw US dollars and Euros while in Germany. The ATMs on military posts usually dispense both currencies. Both could be traded for local currency in UA if needed but both can also be used while traveling through Europe.

You're going to take a hit when exchanging currency so it may be best to stick to those. However, if needed, both the Dollar and the Euro can be traded for Hvrna.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.