Kayla34

What they consider government assistance

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I need a little help here. My husband and I are in the AOS stage and we're still currently living with my parents. We desperately want to get our own apartment but my job wouldn't quite cover that right now. I live in the state of Maine and we have something called Section 8, basically the state pays for some of the rent for your apartment. Before I go and apply for this would it screw up our whole immigration process? I really don't want my husband to be deported for this. If I can't apply for that, we will just stay here at my parents until the time is right. Is there a list somewhere where it states what they consider to be government assistance? Any help would be great.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Section 8 is means based. You could apply for it as a USC but he is not eligible to gain benefit from it . I think you are safer living with the parents for now.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Affordable Housing is the other name for it. An article to read specific to immigrants: http://www.nilc.org/pubs/guideupdates/rental_housing_1005.pdf

My mother is an immigrant, green card holder, and lives in a beautiful apartment under affordable housing program.

You would not be considered a public charge if you rented under affordable housing program.

"Non-cash or special-purpose cash benefits are generally supplemental in nature and do not make a person primarily dependent on the government for subsistence. Therefore, past, current, or future receipt of these benefits do not impact a public charge determination. Non-cash or special purpose cash benefits that are not considered for public charge purposes include:

<...>

- Housing benefits;

<...>"

Hope that helped!

02/12/2010 - Sent AOS package to Chicago Lockbox

02/23/2010 - NOA received for I-485, I-130 and I-765 (Day 11)

03/05/2010 - letter of appointment for Biometrics received (Day 22)

03/05/2010 - I-130 touched. (Day 22)

03/18/2010 - Biometrics taken! (Day 35)

03/19/2010 - I-485 and I-765 Touched. (Day 36)

04/08/2010 - Interview letter received (Day 56)

05/05/2010 - Touch on I-485 (Day 83)

05/06/2010 - Touch on I-130 (Day 84)

05/06/2010 - EAD Card production ordered!

05/21/2010 - Interview @ 8.50AM (Day 99)

05/21/2010 - INTERVIEW APPROVED! (Day 99)

05/24/2010 - Touch on I-485 and I-130(Day 102)

05/24/2010 - Card Production Ordered on May 21!! (Day 102)

05/26/2010 - Card Production Ordered AGAIN. Mhm... (Day 104)

05/26/2010 - EAD Received! (Day 104)

05/27/2010 - I-130 Approval notice and Green Card Welcome Letter received (Day 105)

06/18/2010 - Green Card RECEIVED!!!

06/22/2010 - Applied for SSN

06/30/2010 - SSN received!!

06/30/2010 - Applied for DL...

07/24/2010 - DL and ID Received!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.