msilva

Please help Brazilian Birth Certificate is wrong

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

NVC said my wife’s Birth Certificate needs to be the long form. They also said The Federal Police Certificate is the wrong version. I have e-mailed the consulate in RJ for advice. I was hoping someone could e-mail me a copy of their Brazilian Birth Certificate and Federal Police Report after they of course blot out all personal information. I could e-mail to my wife to help her get the correct document.

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

NVC said my wifes Birth Certificate needs to be the long form. They also said The Federal Police Certificate is the wrong version. I have e-mailed the consulate in RJ for advice. I was hoping someone could e-mail me a copy of their Brazilian Birth Certificate and Federal Police Report after they of course blot out all personal information. I could e-mail to my wife to help her get the correct document.

Thanks

the long form typically is the version of the BC that indicates who the birth parents are

Birth Certificates

Available. Birth certificates (Certidao de Nascimento) may be obtained from the proper Registro Civil (Civil Registry Office) of the district in which the person was born. In large cities these offices are independent of each other and care must be taken to address the office at which the birth is recorded. The fee varies with the locality and depends upon the amount of work involved. Complete (verbatim) copies of the entries may be obtained but must be specifically requested, otherwise a certificate of lesser value in summary form will be given. A person of any age, sex, marital status, religion, nationality or place of residence may obtain a birth certificate.

There is no uniform certificate in Brazil. Certificates are variously written or typed on plain paper or special printed forms. They usually bear a heading indicating the issuing office, and the name of the certifying official, but this is not always true. Certificates are signed by "o oficial do registro civil" (the official of the civil registry office) or an escrivao (scribe). They should bear canceled Brazilian revenue stamps near the signature of the certifying

Police Records

Certificates of Good Conduct (Atestados de Bons Antecedentes) related to possible violations of state law are available to persons 18 years of age and older from the Secretaria de Seguranca Publica in each of Brazil's states. Atestados related to possible violations of federal law are available to persons 18 years of age and older from any station (Delegacia) of the National Police (Policia Federal). Criminal records in Brazil are expunged five years after any sentence has been served.

Because each state maintains a separate database of violations of state law, a prospective immigrant must obtain a separate record from the Secretaria de Seguranca Publica of each state in which he or she has resided within the past five years. Additionally, a prospective immigrant must obtain a record from the Policia Federal, since state police records do not include violations of federal law.

For addresses or telephone numbers of Secretarias de Seguranca Publica and Delegacias de Policia Federal an applicant may contact the immigrant visa unit of the U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro or access the consulate’s website at: www.embaixadaamericana.org.br. Federal Certificates are also available through the internet as are some State police certificates. If the applicant is residing outside Brazil, it is highly unlikely that he/she will get the Police certificate (only if he/she has someone with a power of attorney to apply on his/her behalf and if the applicant’s Brazilian ID card was issued by the specific state from which the certificate is being requested).

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3521.html

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

the long form typically is the version of the BC that indicates who the birth parents are

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_3521.html

Thanks that was a big help! The original birth certificate we sent NVC had the names of parents and grand parents. This NVC is very picky. I can figure at least a month setback now :(

Timeline

Hi msilva, I think I can help you. Is there anyway you can give me your or your wife's email so I can send the long form of the BC?

Hey Thanks that would be great but seems like I could use a copy of a Federal Police report instead. You could blot out the personal info. If you can help with either one or both please let me know. NVC denied both Brazilian Police reports but I think I have the correct state police report but no clue on what’s wrong with the federal one. How can I give our e-mail without posting it? Chat?

thanks

Timeline
Posted Today, 03:39 PM

Hey Thanks that would be great but seems like I could use a copy of a Federal Police report instead. You could blot out the personal info. If you can help with either one or both please let me know. NVC denied both Brazilian Police reports but I think I have the correct state police report but no clue on what’s wrong with the federal one. How can I give our e-mail without posting it? Chat?

thanks

Hi, I just sent you a private message with my e-mail!

• 4 months later...
Timeline

Hi, I just sent you a private message with my e-mail!

Hi Mrs. Price :-)

my name is Marco and am in the same situation than one of the members here. The NVC keeps asking my wife (she still in Acailandia, Maranhao, Brasil) for another police certificate Atestado de Bons Antecedentes. We have sent FOUR different certificates but they tells us that " they do not fulfill the necessary requirmentes". I have asked them for a SAMPLE of the certificate they need, but of course...they have provided no help with that. I read that you have a sample of such certificate... could you send me a copy of it, with the private information blacked out of course..just so I can show it to my wife and give the NVC what they are needing in order to continue with my wife's visa process.

I thank you very much in advance.

ps. my email is cocuyona@hotmail.com

Live Long and Prosper! :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Mrs. Price :-)

my name is Marco and am in the same situation than one of the members here. The NVC keeps asking my wife (she still in Acailandia, Maranhao, Brasil) for another police certificate Atestado de Bons Antecedentes. We have sent FOUR different certificates but they tells us that " they do not fulfill the necessary requirmentes". I have asked them for a SAMPLE of the certificate they need, but of course...they have provided no help with that. I read that you have a sample of such certificate... could you send me a copy of it, with the private information blacked out of course..just so I can show it to my wife and give the NVC what they are needing in order to continue with my wife's visa process.

I thank you very much in advance.

ps. my email is cocuyona@hotmail.com

Live Long and Prosper! :-)

Marco,

Regarding the Atestado de Antecedentes Criminais, this is what the Consulate in Rio asks you to submit for interview:

"Atestado(s) de Bons Antecedentes (emitidos pela SECRETARIA DE SEGURANÇA PÚBLICA e pela POLÍCIA FEDERAL. Os certificados emitidos por Cartórios ou Fórum, não serão aceitos)"

You'll need an "Atestado" issued by the Policia Federal, one by the State of Maranhao, and any other state that you've lived for over 6 months after you turned 18. I know that the one issued by the Policia Federal can be obtained by internet. Some states (like Sao Paulo) also issues online. I know of at least one state (Parana) that does not issue the Atestado online; for that state you have to request in person.

You can get a copy of this document issued by the Consulate in Rio in the following link:

http://www.embaixada-americana.org.br/pdfs/CartaEntrev_Port_Abril09.pdf

Once you have all the documents in place, I'd suggest you to write a formal letter to NVC stating that you are following guidance issued by the local US consulate, and include a printout. In fairness to NVC, they deal with Police Certificates from over 150 countries, and they may not be as familiar with the system that is used in Brazil.

Boa Sorte,

Samuel

Edited by S & M

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.