Jolibee76

Do I need to bring my passport to the interview

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi All,

I am curious about whether i need to bring my passport to the interview? I am wanting to keep my aussie passport and scared they will take it away at the interview if i do bring it?

I tried to find post on this but had no such luck.

Thanks

Carolyn

8th of May 06- K1 Visa Approved - phew

12th of June 06- Arrived in USA san fran- yeaaaaah!

1st of July 06- moved to tampa florida

15th of July 06- Applied for SSN

2nd of August 06- SSN arrives in mail!! woohoo

2nd of September 06- Max and I are married at Holy trinity Catholic church, el dorado California!!!

10th of October 06- package sent off

15th of November 06- Case trasnfered to Cali

21st of November 06- biometrics

8th of January 2007- AP approved

16th of January 07 - EAD approved

29th of July 07- OMIGAWD the welcome email- GC approved with no interview!!!

8th of August 07- GC in possession

1st of May 09- Submitted I 751 package

6th of June 09- received Biometrics letter for 30th of June 09 for Yuma AZ office

24th of June 09- Walked in for Biometrics.. they took me :-)

16th of July 09- received my congratulations letter!!!

21st of July 09- Had my 10 GC in my hands!!!

SO BLESSSED!

wedding pics www.freewebs.com/maxandcarolynwedding

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

28th of April 10- sent off N400 Package

7th of May 2010- NOA rec'd

1st of June 2010- NOA Biometrics rec'd

10th of June2010- Finger print appointment

2nd of June 2010 - Walked in and done my fingerprints early :-)

15th of July- interview notice 12th of August(laywer arranges early interview)

19th of July- interview- PASSED

23rd of July- OATH CEREMONY!!!! YAY

Hi All,

I am curious about whether i need to bring my passport to the interview? I am wanting to keep my aussie passport and scared they will take it away at the interview if i do bring it?

I tried to find post on this but had no such luck.

Thanks

Carolyn

USCIS does not care about what passport you bring with you in order to take it away... that is the Australian government's job.

In USCIS's eyes - once you pass the interview and take the oath, you are a US citizen and nothing else.

You do need to take your passport with you especially if you traveled - sometimes the IO wants to verify the dates entered in the N-400 form.

The passport will be safe and will not be taken from you so you don't need to worry.

Good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

Thankyou V333K!

2nd of September 06- Max and I are married at Holy trinity Catholic church, el dorado California!!!

6th of June 09- received Biometrics letter for 30th of June 09 for Yuma AZ office

SO BLESSSED!

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Yep. On my interview I had to bring 2 of my passports. Expired and valid. The lady that interviewed me specifically asked to bring out drivers license, GC and ALL passports used. :yes:

Goodluck

Oh and she dint take it away lol.

Edited by senyorita80

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

When I took my driving exam they wanted to keep my UK driver's license as it was 'Out of State' according to their manual.

I told em it wasn't mine to give - it belonged to the Queen. They shrugged and gave up.

Nobody wants to argue with BIG LIZ

I would always take my a passport to the USCIS for anything - but they would have to fight me to take it off me - and fight harder than a black president getting that ole betsy black powder rifle off a granddad in Mississippi !

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

That's brillant Say what... i am going to use that line in any situation where they want to taken anything aussie away since Australia is a part of the commonwealth hahah

SO BLESSSED!

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Thankyou V333K!

:thumbs:

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

That's brillant Say what... i am going to use that line in any situation where they want to taken anything aussie away since Australia is a part of the commonwealth hahah

You Aussie family of ours - stick with us and BIG LIZ and you will be ok - don't listen to the Aussie separatists - otherwise you will end up like the U.S. with no Queen's speech on the telly after your turkey on xmas day -

Only progressive insurance ads

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Basic rule it, anything you bring in with you, you leave with it. If they want to keep anything, like your evidence or even passport, they can take a copy of it for their records, but you leave with all the originals that you brought in.

For what ever weird reason, my wife's IO wanted her original divorce papers, wife said, no way, it would cost me a fortune to get another certified copy, her IO said, okay. Why should she even ask for anything like that?

Been other reports of IO's wanting key documentation, like your green card, passport, evidence, etc., again without justifiable reason. You are not even legal without your greencard!

At the oath ceremony, that is different, you walk in with your greencard, have to surrender, and walk out with your USC certificate. But then you realize while you can enter this country with your foreign passport and greencard, you cannon enter this country with your foreign passport and your US certificate. So you rush to get your US passport, and hope and pray they don't lose your USC certificate in the process.

Then you learn you even have to keep your foreign passport if you want to enter into your home country.

Timeline

Basic rule it, anything you bring in with you, you leave with it. If they want to keep anything, like your evidence or even passport, they can take a copy of it for their records, but you leave with all the originals that you brought in.

For what ever weird reason, my wife's IO wanted her original divorce papers, wife said, no way, it would cost me a fortune to get another certified copy, her IO said, okay. Why should she even ask for anything like that?

Been other reports of IO's wanting key documentation, like your green card, passport, evidence, etc., again without justifiable reason. You are not even legal without your greencard!

At the oath ceremony, that is different, you walk in with your greencard, have to surrender, and walk out with your USC certificate. But then you realize while you can enter this country with your foreign passport and greencard, you cannon enter this country with your foreign passport and your US certificate. So you rush to get your US passport, and hope and pray they don't lose your USC certificate in the process.

Then you learn you even have to keep your foreign passport if you want to enter into your home country.

Depends on your home country off course..

Like I could enter the UK on a US passport - get a 6 months stamp - actually that would be a good idea coz the UK tax man would not know it was me - so I could go over my 90 days with impunity. Getting back into the US would be impossible unless my current wife, oops I mean my final wife, mailed me the passport to the UK

Course I would have to do my Boss Hogg impression at Leeds airport so they didnt know I was a Brit. Or Martin Luther King - nope it has to be Clint... 'get off my lawn'

I reckon it's up to them if they want an original of anything like a divorce certificate. I guess if they had doubts about a copy, they would RFE it before the interview - but they got all the stuff at green card stage and accepted it.

Oops mistake - that's logic and we are talking USCIS ! ok anything could happen - and probably will.

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Depends on your home country off course..

Like I could enter the UK on a US passport - get a 6 months stamp - actually that would be a good idea coz the UK tax man would not know it was me - so I could go over my 90 days with impunity. Getting back into the US would be impossible unless my current wife, oops I mean my final wife, mailed me the passport to the UK

Course I would have to do my Boss Hogg impression at Leeds airport so they didnt know I was a Brit. Or Martin Luther King - nope it has to be Clint... 'get off my lawn'

I reckon it's up to them if they want an original of anything like a divorce certificate. I guess if they had doubts about a copy, they would RFE it before the interview - but they got all the stuff at green card stage and accepted it.

Oops mistake - that's logic and we are talking USCIS ! ok anything could happen - and probably will.

Not sure about the UK and governmental agencies, prior to our prohibition days, we only had a few that only acted in an advisory capacity to handle technical questions for congress. The first agency with real power was the FBI headed by Hoover. Since then, that number grew to 1,525 different agencies. When a new president is elected, brings in some odd 12,000 people with him as advisors, and mostly to head these agencies. Selection is primarily based on how these guys or gals helped the president get elected, not really on competence.

Emilio T. Gonzalez, Ph.D, served as the Director of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), was appointed by Bush, was a Cuban refugee that spoke very poor English. Perhaps why the N-400 is so confusing, he changed that. I did find an older form that was actually written in English and was comprehensible. Should have book marked that.

With immigration, not only the USCIS, but the FBI, CIA, DOS, and the embassies all have a say, so not dealing with just one agency. With 80 some odd field offices each with different managers that tend to make their own rules, and each field office with IO's with different psychological problems like paranoia, good luck is getting a reasonable IO.

Each administration seems to have an interest in different countries, Reagan for example had an interest in Latin America, but when he left and Bush took over, suddenly the middle east became of interest, until Clinton came in, middel east became history and form USSR countries became history, then with kid Bush, middle east was of major interest again. DOS under the direction of the executive branch determines which countries have priority for visas. First thing my wife did was petition for her unmarried son, I couldn't at the time because he was over 21, under 21, I could. Two years went by, and nothing, and looks like another five years at least. Under the present administration, Latin America is no longer of interest. Tough luck.

Step daughter could not tailgate her mom for USC as she barely turned 18, so 18 is the limit for some reasons, 21 for other reasons. Logic?

No thought of my wife petitioning for her mom, her mom has healthcare in her home country, no way could we provide that for her here. If my step daughter quits college, that would be the end of her healthcare. One damn good reason to stay in college.

When my grandfather came here, is admission was very neatly filled out by an IO at Ellis Island, grandfather just signed it. He attended classes one night a week for six weeks, then became a USC. Times have sure changed since then, my wife's IO could barely speak English that made me wonder, who should be testing who.

Timeline

All part of the rich ethnic quilt which is the USA and the USCIS and all the other agencies. I would NOT bring my son here - he is 'accident prone' and would get into all sorts of trouble pretty quick. He came here for a week's visit last year and was nearly knifed by two 'ladies' in town who were living in a station wagon. The USA is for people who are nimble on their feet and see problems ahead of time and have 3 foreign pensions and an ok wad. A capitalist society is for capitalists and the rest are cannon fodder/wage slaves.

If my wife goes off with Jose the lawn man, I would have to buy into Medicare in few short years. It would cost me $6,600pa year one and increasing steeply thereafter. If she sticks with it till I am 72, I can get in for less on her coat tails.

The USA gets a bit too intense for me at times but it's very interesting - like watching an 80 car pileup on the interstate - compulsive viewing. Getting Citizenship will allow me the right to say things like that too without being lynched, shot or told to go back where I came from - so I will definitely be doing it.

I agree with all that's been said about documentation and the CIS - we have to be educated and nimble and fast thinking and clear about what they can and cannot do - otherwise we will be steam rollered by the system.

VJ is the best thing ever invented when it comes to these matters

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.