Isamu

Laos consulate interpreter falsifying translation during interview?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

So, my fiancee is pretty concerned as well as I. She said the guy who is running her paperwork on her side said recently there has been a huge wave of K1 denials from the Laos embassy when under this certain interpreter. News also came that one interviewer came out saying that the consulate asked her if she was engaged to the USC and after replying yes in her native tongue, the interpreter said no, they are married thus giving the consulate no choice but to deny the K1 petition. This is completely outrageous and is there anything that can be done? I heard no one has gotten a visa through this interpreter as of yet.

08/05/2009 - Landed in VTE and greeted her at the airport.

09/02/2009 - Landed in MSP and started paperwork.

09/14/2009 - Sent in I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancee.

09/16/2009 - NOA1 Date.

09/21/2009 - NOA1 Hard copy received.

11/02/2009 - TOUCHED!

12/15/2009 - 129f Approval Notice!

12/22/2009 - NVC - IN

12/24/2009 - NVC - OUT

12/30/2009 - Embassy Received - Called Fiancee

01/06/2010 - Medical Done

06/21/2010 - Interview - APPROVED!

06/23/2010 - Visa in HAND!

06/27/2010 - POE - MSP!

11/01/2010 - Mailed AOS Packet

11/02/2010 - Delivered

11/15/2010 - NOA1

12/08/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

01/11/2011 - Perm. Resident Card (Conditional) ordered. - That was fast...

So, my fiancee is pretty concerned as well as I. She said the guy who is running her paperwork on her side said recently there has been a huge wave of K1 denials from the Laos embassy when under this certain interpreter. News also came that one interviewer came out saying that the consulate asked her if she was engaged to the USC and after replying yes in her native tongue, the interpreter said no, they are married thus giving the consulate no choice but to deny the K1 petition. This is completely outrageous and is there anything that can be done? I heard no one has gotten a visa through this interpreter as of yet.

Is the interpreter provided by the Embassy? Has anyone made an official complaint?

Timeline

Is the interpreter provided by the Embassy? Has anyone made an official complaint?

Yes, he is provided by the embassy, and no, no one has of yet put in an official complaint, at least to my knowledge. How does one go about doing so?

Edited by Isamu

09/16/2009 - NOA1 Date.

11/02/2009 - TOUCHED!

12/22/2009 - NVC - IN

12/24/2009 - NVC - OUT

06/27/2010 - POE - MSP!

11/02/2010 - Delivered

11/15/2010 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, he is provided by the embassy, and no, no one has of yet put in an official complaint, at least to my knowledge. How does one go about doing so?

Unless this has actually happened to you or your fiancee, anything you said would merely be hearsay based on what a document prep service has told you. If this actually DID happen to your fiancee, and she has enough of a grasp of English to know for certain that it happened, then you could submit a complaint to the chief of the Visa services unit at the consulate, and also to the Consulate General's office. From there, you can go as high up the food chain as you like until you get to Ms. Clinton, the Secretary of State.

Honestly, your complaint would probably be added to a file of similar complaints. Consulates get bombarded with complaints about specific consular officers or consulate employees all the time. Hopefully, if enough complaints are amassed against the same person for the same reasons then the consulate will at least investigate the matter.

The consulate in Vietnam has the same problem. The local Vietnamese employees treat the visa applicants like #######, and the interpreters are known to intentionally misinterpret things the applicant says. A carefully frontloaded petition can often help you get the approval from the CO before the interview begins, reducing the chances that a disgruntled local employee would be able to poison the interview. If they don't ask many questions, then there's not much to misinterpret.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Unless this has actually happened to you or your fiancee, anything you said would merely be hearsay based on what a document prep service has told you. If this actually DID happen to your fiancee, and she has enough of a grasp of English to know for certain that it happened, then you could submit a complaint to the chief of the Visa services unit at the consulate, and also to the Consulate General's office. From there, you can go as high up the food chain as you like until you get to Ms. Clinton, the Secretary of State.

Honestly, your complaint would probably be added to a file of similar complaints. Consulates get bombarded with complaints about specific consular officers or consulate employees all the time. Hopefully, if enough complaints are amassed against the same person for the same reasons then the consulate will at least investigate the matter.

The consulate in Vietnam has the same problem. The local Vietnamese employees treat the visa applicants like #######, and the interpreters are known to intentionally misinterpret things the applicant says. A carefully frontloaded petition can often help you get the approval from the CO before the interview begins, reducing the chances that a disgruntled local employee would be able to poison the interview. If they don't ask many questions, then there's not much to misinterpret.

I figured as much, thanks for the reply's everyone. My interview is still a ways away so I'll just keep on top of the game as best I could. I'm just at a loss for words as all this hard work and money could be put down by one unhappy person in the chain and there's basically nothing that can be done about it until after the fact and even then, it's a long hard road.

09/16/2009 - NOA1 Date.

11/02/2009 - TOUCHED!

12/22/2009 - NVC - IN

12/24/2009 - NVC - OUT

06/27/2010 - POE - MSP!

11/02/2010 - Delivered

11/15/2010 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.