sarahnewyork

Medical /Vaccination questions!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We just got K1 approval and the letter said the Embassy will be in touch - one of the things on the list for the next stage down the line is the medical exam. Does anyone know of any preexisting medical conditions that would cause problems as I have mild arthritis and am on medication but it doesnt prevent me doing anything or working. Apart from a chest xray what does the medical involve? Any info would be a help!

On another note I am very anti vaccination on moral grounds and heard that you can avoid the vaccinations by completing a waiver and paying a fee- has anyone done this successfully?

Many thanks!

:-))))

Sarah

Timeline

By 'K-1 approval' I assume you mean the I-129f petition has been approved and you case forwarded to the US Embassy in London via the NVC. The K-1 will only be approved after you attend the Embassy interview. Sorry to be nitpicky, but when there are so many people reading these forums & relying on accurate information, not to mention the hundreds of different terms and acronyms, we have to be specific as to what we are talking about!

As far as the medical goes, take a look at this: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/forms/IV018a_IV_medical_letter.pdf

It has a 'what to expect' paragraph, so have a read through the document. It also tells you how to book, where to go, and has a medical questionnaire to complete and take with you to the medical itself.

Very few people have reported 'failing' the medical - if you have a condition that you think may cause problems, then you can always see your GP before the medical and get a letter confirming your current health and that you are recovered / have no problems / not affected etc, a basic overview of your condition. This seems to be only required for psychological/mental health-realted conditions however, such as sever depression, bi-polar disorder etc. Perhaps someone can clarify better on this point, and no offense is meant to anyone by my comments.

Regarding the vaccinations, I myself have never heard of the waiver option, but if someone has experienced this i'm sure they can enlighten you. Can I ask why you are anti-vaccination?

Hope this helps a little, good luck and congrats on getting to this stage!

See Profile for full K-1 timeline...summary:

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

17 Jun 2010 - Interview...APPROVED!

17 Jul 2010 - LHR to ATL. POE: JFK

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

23 Oct 2010 - Filed for AOS, EAD & AP

29 Mar 2011 - APPROVED!!! (2 NOAs for medical info)

04 Apr 2011 - GC In Hand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Just so that you know, HIV no longer makes a beneficiary ineligible to receive a k-1 visa. I'm not sure how dated the link that was posted above is, but I do know that the HIV change went into effect last December. You might want to check with the Embassy approved doctor to see what, if else has changed since the issuance of the instructions you linked to:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/forms/IV018a_IV_medical_letter.pdf

Alan

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The HIV ruling was announced in December and took effect in January 2010, I think January 4.

TB or any other communicable disease that is a significant problem to the population can be reasons to delay your visa issuance until the condition is remedied.

Arthritis and most of the medications for Arthritis should be OK. You will want to see a Rheumatologist when you get to the USA to make sure you are taking medications that are legal in the USA. Some NSAIDs in Thailand like DenZen are not legal in the USA. Additionally the Rheumatologist might want to make sure you are taking a DMARD if appropriate to your condition. This can improve the quality of your life significantly.

I do not know of a waiver to vaccinations.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline

Just so that you know, HIV no longer makes a beneficiary ineligible to receive a k-1 visa. I'm not sure how dated the link that was posted above is, but I do know that the HIV change went into effect last December. You might want to check with the Embassy approved doctor to see what, if else has changed since the issuance of the instructions you linked to:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/forms/IV018a_IV_medical_letter.pdf

Alan

Hey Alan,

The link is the current one on the US Embassy site - it appears they haven't updated it with the latest HIV stance. I was aware of the change, I just included the link as it gives a good idea what to expect. Thanks for the information though, always good to check!

See Profile for full K-1 timeline...summary:

11 Jan 10 - I-129f Sent

17 Jun 2010 - Interview...APPROVED!

17 Jul 2010 - LHR to ATL. POE: JFK

10 Sep 2010 - Wedding

23 Oct 2010 - Filed for AOS, EAD & AP

29 Mar 2011 - APPROVED!!! (2 NOAs for medical info)

04 Apr 2011 - GC In Hand.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

You are almost there and now you have to deal with the embassy. This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.