w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Obama administration approves nation's first offshore wind farm

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

In a groundbreaking decision that some say will usher in a new era of clean energy, U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar approved the nation's first offshore wind farm today off Cape Cod, a person briefed on the decision said this morning.

The decision has been delayed for almost a year because of two Wampanoag tribes’ complaints that the turbines, which would stand more than 400 feet above the ocean surface, would disturb spiritual sun greetings and possibly ancestral artifacts and burial grounds on the seabed, which was once exposed land before the sea level rose thousands of years ago.

Supporters have long said an approval would be a giant step forward for renewable energy efforts in the country, while opponents have said they would seek to kill the project through legal action. The project, if it is not held up by lawsuits, could begin construction within the year.

The project has undergone years of environmental review and political maneuvering, including opposition from the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy, whose home overlooks Nantucket Sound.

Horseshoe Shoals, the part of Nantucket Sound where the wind farm is proposed, is widely considered the best place along the East Coast to build a wind farm. That's in part because the site is in shallow, sheltered waters close to shore -- the nearest beach is five miles away. But it is also because it is in federal waters: Political will to build such a massive wind farm in state waters three miles from shore does not exist.

Cape Wind Associates said the wind farm could produce enough wind power to handle three-quarters of the electric needs of the Cape and Islands. The price of its electricity is expected to be higher than conventional power. The company is still in negotiations with National Grid, the utility, that has agreed to purchase some of the power the farm produces.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/green/greenblog/2010/04/cape_wind_decision_expected_to.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

The decision has been delayed for almost a year because of two Wampanoag tribes’ complaints that the turbines, which would stand more than 400 feet above the ocean surface, would disturb spiritual sun greetings and possibly ancestral artifacts and burial grounds on the seabed, which was once exposed land before the sea level rose thousands of years ago.

Seam level rise.... BEFORE the SUV? OMGWTFBBQ

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Seam level rise.... BEFORE the SUV? OMGWTFBBQ

shhhh, don't tell the enviro-whackos...

Lovely cape cod area now with an eyesore off shore. :/

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Timeline

This is the story of America these days - we're just always lagging behind. Leadership on energy future lost w/o even putting up a fight. Just this week, the first such offshore windfarm - merely approved to be built now by the US administration - actually went online in Germany. Quite impressive considering it's the smallest of the offshore farms already in the pipeline to be built in Europe and yet, it will produce 220 GWH of energy/ year - enough power to supply 50,000 households.

image-82034-panoV9-kwdn.jpg

Germany's First Offshore Wind Farm Goes Online

According to an analysis adopted under his aegis, wind turbines in the North Sea and Baltic Sea are expected to produce more than 140 terawatt hours of electricity by 2050. That amount alone would cover about 25 percent of projected power-consumption needs.

I wonder how well those will tolerate a major storm, or a drunken sailor. :unsure:

They will have a much better chance now that Ted kennedy (PBUH) has moved on to a 'better place'.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

This is the story of America these days - we're just always lagging behind. Leadership on energy future lost w/o even putting up a fight. Just this week, the first such offshore windfarm - merely approved to be built now by the US administration - actually went online in Germany. Quite impressive considering it's the smallest of the offshore farms already in the pipeline to be built in Europe and yet, it will produce 220 GWH of energy/ year - enough power to supply 50,000 households.

image-82034-panoV9-kwdn.jpg

None of the turbines in the pic are producing shite! they arent turning. :rofl:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

None of the turbines in the pic are producing shite! they arent turning. :rofl:

:blink: Well yeah... it's a photograph... :wacko:

I'm surprised at you Marc. I can accept that you may not have photographs in your home, but I'm sure you have a fair few cave paintings ;)

:blink: Well yeah... it's a photograph... :wacko:

I'm surprised at you Marc. I can accept that you may not have photographs in your home, but I'm sure you have a fair few cave paintings ;)

Uh der dipstick look at the fvckin water! To many meds again?

Edited by Col. Lingus

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

US NEWS reported that Wind Turbines in the US currently produce about 8,568 MW enough for 2 million people. Supposedly, the US is in a race to get the US to increase Wind energy for our electrical needs to 20% usage compared to coal and all other means of electricity generation. This will require a steady increase on building these farms.

As of now, the rate is rapidly increasing above expectations.

This report was before the approval of the Cape Wind Farm. Now, with the Cape Wind farm in place, it'll be very good.

This is only a piece to reduce the amount of waste that goes into the environment.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg