w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Why is WalMart hiring so many IT people?

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
lemme guess. you live in one of those areas w/ over inflated real estate prices...oh yah thats right you do. :bonk:

I don't know what useless spot of the country you occupy but I lived in Middle TN for about a decade - moved away from there about 5 years ago. There was no such home to be had in that part of the country for 250K 10 years ago. Middle TN was/is hardly an expensive or overpriced area and real estate market.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what useless spot of the country to occupy but I lived in Middle TN for about a decade - moved away from there about 5 years ago. There was no such home to be had in that part of the country for 250K 10 years ago. Middle TN was/is hardly an expensive or overpriced area and real estate market.

i live in the city forbes called the recession proof city, due to conservative lawmakers & realistic home prices. as far as i know you lived in atlanta & florida...both hit hard by the recession, due partly to their grossly over inflated property values.

7yqZWFL.jpg

SMOKE,

Do the salaries being offered to your friends make Bentonville housing stock easily affordable to them?

yes, they both think they will be better off considering the offered salary vs. cost of living. the guy that works for HP now is worried about being able to sell his house here in a timely manner. he said he'd be streched a little thin making 2 house payments. he has a wife, 3 kids, & 2 dogs. so, an apartment isn't really an option for him pending the sale of his current home.

7yqZWFL.jpg

yes, they both think they will be better off considering the offered salary vs. cost of living. the guy that works for HP now is worried about being able to sell his house here in a timely manner. he said he'd be streched a little thin making 2 house payments. he has a wife, 3 kids, & 2 dogs. so, an apartment isn't really an option for him pending the sale of his current home.

HAHA I thought that said 3 wives, 2 kids and a dog. I was like damn y'all get freaky down south dont ya.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

as far as i know you lived in atlanta & florida...

Atlanta? Where did you get the idea that I lived in Atlanta? I just said that I lived in Middle TN for the longest time. Had a year in SW OH before moving to FL. Out of these three places, FL is the only one with a severe housing prices issue.

Atlanta? Where did you get the idea that I lived in Atlanta? I just said that I lived in Middle TN for the longest time. Had a year in SW OH before moving to FL. Out of these three places, FL is the only one with a severe housing prices issue.

i was guessing. i thought at one point your profile said local office: atlanta, ga.. so i was assuming you were living in atlanta proper or close to it, because you have a management white collar job.

7yqZWFL.jpg

Does it really matter? :lol:

Judging whether RE is "inflated" based on nominal prices is silly. It's all about affordability. How much do the potential home buyers in the area make?

ps. Atlanta is inflated? The burbs are dirt cheap and the IT salaries are on par with what we make up here in Jersey.

I dom't know about Bentonville, but from the little time I spend in North Little Rock as a child, I remember playing in a swamp at the end of the street, and having a huge lake, for just for swimming, a couple blocks away. Seems I remember crossing bridges, lots of bridges, everywhere we went. If you like that kind of stuff, hunting, fishing, boating, I imagine that is a great place to live. I also remember ticks, hornets, and for a six year old, those daddy long legs looked mighty scary. :lol:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So what's up? Why is WalMart hiring so much? And why are they paying for relocation at a time when almost no one else (in the private sector) is?

They are going to compete with Google.

Don't believe me? Walmart it!

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Nowadays, it's about relocating. And, those who hold a BS will probably move from job to job every 2-3 years. Compared to 40 years ago, you'll find someone who works at a company for 35,40,45 years. But, now it's different.

I remembered when HP was working on their Alpha chip. Then they scrapped it. So, the Hardware Engineers got layed off. A few weeks later, the re-hired those engineers and they became software engineers. The hi-tech jobs nowadays moves very rapidly.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Nowadays, it's about relocating. And, those who hold a BS will probably move from job to job every 2-3 years.

I've been with my current employer 6+ years now, just not continuously. And if you count the time I spent with an outsourcer working for this organization, that's 8+ years.

No, I've never been to Arkansas. But I'm reading through these job listings and the skillsets they're asking for aren't all that rare or niche-y. Even with high-supply skillsets like that, you guys don't think some of the unemployed or underemployed IT workforce would be willing to go work in Arkansas for a while?
I've driven THROUGH Arkansas before; if you want to talk about 'boondocks', AR is the very definition--for entertainments, the choices are:
  • you live very near Little Rock, or in West Memphis
  • you're willing to drive lots of hours to get to either LR, Memphis or St Louis.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.