Danni and Hamza

Packet 3 in Algeria

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Im applying for a k1 visa for my fiance. He lives in Algeria. Im a the USC. We recieved our NOA1, and we just want to be totally prepared for when we get our NOA2, and the info gets sent to the Embassy in algeria....My question is...Does anyone know whats all included and needed for Packet 3 in algeria? Does anyone have any tips for us, with dealing with the Algerian embassy ? Also is it extremely important that I be there for his interview? Has anyone ever been denied b/c thier fiance wasnt with them at the interview?

Thanks ahead of time for your time and answeres. This site has help so much in filing for our I-129F !!

Danni

4/16/10- I129F Sent by Danni

4/20/10- I129F Received at VSC

4/22/10- NOA1 sent from VSC

4/26/10- NOA1 received by Danni

6/28/10- NOA2 Received by text and email at 11:32pm

6/29/10- NVC Received K1 package

7/02/10- NVC packaged K1 to send to embassy (but probably didn't ship till the 6th, due to the holiday weekend)

7/08/10- Algeria Embassy received Package sent from NVC

7/26/10- Received Packet 3 Via Email, after I called them to inquire about it.

8/15/10- Medical Exam 9 am

8/17/10 INTERVIEW!!! Resulted in Admin Review

10/04/10 Embassy Interviewed Hamza's Dad over the telephone

10/06/10 Embassy Interviewed me over the phone

11/30/10 Embassy Emailed Hamza, with approval Notice!!!!!

12/23/10 Finally Visa in hand. Took little under a month from visa approval, till issuance.

12/31/10 Hamza's Flight to the USA!

12/31/10...7:19 PM Hamza Arrived in the US! Best New Years Ever!

2/22/11 Married!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-d8faZtdOc

Timeline

We should be getting Packet 3 soon. I can tell you what's in it when it comes. :)

Thanks Mandy, I would love to know what you get in your packet, and also any updates you have about the embassy, and how things go for you... I would love to know, if you think about it :)

Thank you so much!

Good luck with your journey!!

7/02/10- NVC packaged K1 to send to embassy (but probably didn't ship till the 6th, due to the holiday weekend)

12/23/10 Finally Visa in hand. Took little under a month from visa approval, till issuance.

2/22/11 Married!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Be prepared to be questioned about why you met in Tunisia and not in Algeria. His family's approval and knowledge of the relationship will be very important. I don't think they normally allow the petitioner in the consulate for the interview. I wasn't in Algeria for my husband's interview. It went smoothly, but we had already been married for 6 years at that time and had lived together in the US already. I don't think it's a difficult consulate to work with. I found them especially polite, helpful and prompt with their responses. This was nearly two years ago now, and I have noticed they are possibly starting to toughen up as the amount of petitions increase. Most of the petitions previously were of Algerian nationals who are now USC's or LPR's sponsoring a new bride to come to the US. If you have a legit relationship and strong evidence, you should be okay.

event.png

Timeline

Be prepared to be questioned about why you met in Tunisia and not in Algeria. His family's approval and knowledge of the relationship will be very important. I don't think they normally allow the petitioner in the consulate for the interview. I wasn't in Algeria for my husband's interview. It went smoothly, but we had already been married for 6 years at that time and had lived together in the US already. I don't think it's a difficult consulate to work with. I found them especially polite, helpful and prompt with their responses. This was nearly two years ago now, and I have noticed they are possibly starting to toughen up as the amount of petitions increase. Most of the petitions previously were of Algerian nationals who are now USC's or LPR's sponsoring a new bride to come to the US. If you have a legit relationship and strong evidence, you should be okay.

haha, thank you for the compliment below :) !! We met in Tunisia because I saw that there was an adivsory, or warning on the US travel site for Algeria. So I didnt feel comfortable meeting there. We also felt it was fair that both of us travel a bit to meet, and spend money, and so forth. It was also cheaper, to fly to Tunisia, then to Algeria :) Do you this these reasons will justify this in the eyes of the embassy ?

His parents know and approve of our relationship, they both signed a letter of approval, and acknowlegment... so did his two brothers and one sister. Will this help to show the embassy thier approval?

Is there any advice you can give on showing proof of a bonafide relationship. We have pictures, chat log, chat conversatioons, email, a couple regular mail envelops, we could take pictures of gifts sent given ? We have approval letters from 5 of his family members, and four of mine, We dont use the phone to talk, as its too expensive, though we do send texts almost daily, if I can get a record of this, i'll send that along.We us chate and webcam/voice chat instead. Is there something im missing, or that you can think of, that would help me ? I would be so appreciative of any advice or tips.

Thanks momof1

haha, thank you for the compliment below :) !! We met in Tunisia because I saw that there was an adivsory, or warning on the US travel site for Algeria. So I didnt feel comfortable meeting there. We also felt it was fair that both of us travel a bit to meet, and spend money, and so forth. It was also cheaper, to fly to Tunisia, then to Algeria :) Do you this these reasons will justify this in the eyes of the embassy ?

His parents know and approve of our relationship, they both signed a letter of approval, and acknowlegment... so did his two brothers and one sister. Will this help to show the embassy thier approval?

Is there any advice you can give on showing proof of a bonafide relationship. We have pictures, chat log, chat conversatioons, email, a couple regular mail envelops, we could take pictures of gifts sent given ? We have approval letters from 5 of his family members, and four of mine, We dont use the phone to talk, as its too expensive, though we do send texts almost daily, if I can get a record of this, i'll send that along.We us chate and webcam/voice chat instead. Is there something im missing, or that you can think of, that would help me ? I would be so appreciative of any advice or tips.

Thanks momof1

2/22/11 Married!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Don't want to rain on your day, but I wish someone had told me early on: be prepared for Administrative Processing ahead of time. The timeline for the NVC/Embassy is somewhat regulated, but then there's the possibility that your fiances will be sent for AP because of their origin in a MENA country.

My husband is Algerian and we met in Paris, and have been living together here since Jan 2009. After a seemingly speedy walk through the NVC/Embassy process (April 23 - Dec 9th 2009) we were put in AP and are stuck there now - it's added an extra 4 1/2 months and counting. And though we're in the last stage of the process here in Paris, Brahim is considering going back to Algeria to wait it out.

I think if you're aware of AP early and have it built into your expectations and internal clock, it may make it easier. And of course you may not get AP or have a very short one like our fellow traveller Malarie.

Best of luck in your journey! Keep us all posted as to your progress!

Meredith & Brahim

2 April 2009 - Married in France

23 April 2009 - Sent K3 Petitions

23 August 2009 - Petitions approved, sent to Paris

9 December 2009 - Interview: Approved, pending AP

7 May 2010 - 5 MONTHS LATER: DOS Confirms Visa Final Approval

10 May 2010 - Embassy Confirms Visa Being Issued

11 May 2010 - VISA IN HAND

14 May 2010 - Flights to Newark!!

Timeline

Don't want to rain on your day, but I wish someone had told me early on: be prepared for Administrative Processing ahead of time. The timeline for the NVC/Embassy is somewhat regulated, but then there's the possibility that your fiances will be sent for AP because of their origin in a MENA country.

My husband is Algerian and we met in Paris, and have been living together here since Jan 2009. After a seemingly speedy walk through the NVC/Embassy process (April 23 - Dec 9th 2009) we were put in AP and are stuck there now - it's added an extra 4 1/2 months and counting. And though we're in the last stage of the process here in Paris, Brahim is considering going back to Algeria to wait it out.

I think if you're aware of AP early and have it built into your expectations and internal clock, it may make it easier. And of course you may not get AP or have a very short one like our fellow traveller Malarie.

Hey Meredith, and Brahim

Its okay, your not rainging on my parade. I have read about this dreaded AP, and im aware its hard to get around in MENA countries. Though, I kind of expect it, and am very much afraid of it... I have to admit, Im really hoping to bypass it. Im sorry to hear that it has dragged you along, for this amount of time. I hope that it ends so soon for you, and your journey can continue along smoothly.

Thank you for the warning, I appreciate any advice and tips, even if they are not what I want to hear :)

2/22/11 Married!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thanks! We're feeling like it's got to end soon, and I'm getting no information on what's happening.

Hope you all escape the dreaded plague - and perhaps you will. As my girl scout niece says, 'Always be prepared' :)

Where in Algeria does your fiance live? Brahim is from A Oubellil near-ish to Oran. He hasn't been back in 9 years :(

Meredith & Brahim

2 April 2009 - Married in France

23 April 2009 - Sent K3 Petitions

23 August 2009 - Petitions approved, sent to Paris

9 December 2009 - Interview: Approved, pending AP

7 May 2010 - 5 MONTHS LATER: DOS Confirms Visa Final Approval

10 May 2010 - Embassy Confirms Visa Being Issued

11 May 2010 - VISA IN HAND

14 May 2010 - Flights to Newark!!

And of course you may not get AP or have a very short one like our fellow traveller Malarie.

Yes - Thank God it wasnt too horrible -- but we did wait over 2 months and visa is not in hands yet (I know not as much as others but feels like a million years!!).

Dani - you should prepare for a wait as your fiance's first name is VERY common so it will take a while for the name check to go through.

JMHO though -- keep positive!!

Malarie

** The black ribbon I display in my display is for my son in law who was killed in Afganistan November 23,2009 **

Timeline

Thanks! We're feeling like it's got to end soon, and I'm getting no information on what's happening.

Hope you all escape the dreaded plague - and perhaps you will. As my girl scout niece says, 'Always be prepared' :)

Where in Algeria does your fiance live? Brahim is from A Oubellil near-ish to Oran. He hasn't been back in 9 years :(

Hey again, Hamza is from Tebessa.

2/22/11 Married!!!

Timeline

I have read and heard horrible things about the Paris embassy. I went there when I was in Paris and knew nothing and they were very rude to me. I hear much better reports of the embassy in Algeria. I don't see reports of as much AP from there. I'm hopeful this plays in my favor and also in yours. :) Also, my fiance left France of his own free will to return to Algeria to wait. So I think this will also show proof that we are a real couple. Algerian men in Europe don't tend to go back to Algeria unless they are SURE they will be able to get back out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I think it's good to be prepared for the possibility of AP but not everyone goes through it. My husband didn't go through any AP at the consular level even with a very difficult/long immigration history. Once his waivere were approved and his passport was dropped off it took less than 2 weeks to get the visa.

He's from BabelOued born in La Casbah though. His family is arab and originally from El Oued province. When he returned to Algeria in 2007, he hadn't been there in 12 years.

Edited by momof1

event.png

Timeline

I agree that it is good to at least KNOW that AP could happen. But you prepare yourself for the worst and hope for the best. Can't concentrate on all the negatives of this process or you lose sight of the goal. Which is some fine Algerian man lovin'! ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.