netguy

Letter of Intent..for K1 in Montreal?

10 posts in this topic

So I Was preparing a Letter of Intent and I was wondering is only one Letter of Intent Sufficient ?

what I mean by that is I'm the petitioner(USA, male) and Beneficiary(female) is in Canada interviewing soon in Montreal. I wrote a Letter of intent saying that I am legally free to marry fiance upon her arrival to the USA via K1 Visa. Truly yours, signed my name and printed name too.

Now does SHE(canada) also have to have a similiar letter saying SHE wants to marry me and is free to do so when she arrives to the USA?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems easy to do, and assuming you sent two with the original package, you might as well play it safe. For something that is such a small hassle as this, it's always a good idea to be over-prepared.

• 02/16/2010 - i129F sent
  • 02/22/2010 - NOA1
  • 04/20/2010 - NOA2 (hardcopy on 4/22)
  • 09/23/2010 - Interview
  • 09/28/2010 - Returned with police cert
  • 10/14/2010 - Went back to consulate to redo fingerprints
  • 10/18/2010 - Received visa! POE same day
  • 10/22/2010 - Wedding <3

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, you both do need updated Letters of Intent to Marry within 90 days of her entering on the K-1 Visa. Signatures must be original so do not have her take scanned or faxed copies.

They should be addressed to the Department of State at the US Embassy or Consulate in (city where you will interview>.

Definitely does not hurt to be over-prepared

Good luck

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In August 2009 when I had my interview they only wanted the petitioners updated letter of intent not mine(bene)

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

In August 2009 when I had my interview they only wanted the petitioners updated letter of intent not mine(bene)

Maybe the Consulates in Canada are more lenient about this. Most Packet 3's from various Consulates require both Petitioner and Beneficiary. Maybe they will ask Beneficiary at the interview if they still intend to marry Petitioner.

Naturalization N-400

We sent both with our petition, and you need to state that you fully intend to marry within 90 days on entry...not just that you are free to marry...

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2010-06-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-19

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2010-08-03

NVC Received : 2010-08-10

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-08-17

Pay I-864 Bill 2010-09-01

Receive I-864 Package : 2010-09-18

Return Completed I-864 : 2010-09-21

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-09-25

Receive IV Bill : 2010-10-05

Pay IV Bill : 2010-10-06

Timeline

forgot to say my interview was at the montreal embassy.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

How were the consulate officers in Montreal? nice? aggressive?

The woman at the window I had was really nice, the one the next window over was not so nice lol.. she was yelling at the couple beside me, not sure what it was about but it was a little nerve racking! The guy I got for the actual interview was nice too, he joked a lot and smiled a lot. It was very relaxed for me. The guards were kind of sterile... cut an dry not all that nice but I suppose they cant be to friendly with people as they are guards.

How were the consulate officers in Montreal? nice? aggressive?

If you want a better overview of how they are, you should come and search the Canada forum for others' Consulate reviews. :) That's going to be your #1 sign to how the interview will go. From what I've heard, they're all pretty nice, like Inky said. That's probably one of the few things I'm not worried about when it comes time to go to our interview. :thumbs:

- Tiffanney & Matthew -

K1 VISA: 09/11/09 - 08/10/10

MARRIED: 10/10/10
AOS/EAD/AP: 02/22/11 - 05/04/11

ROC
04/04/13: Mailed off!

04/09/13: NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.