Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

New & Very Confused

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: United Kingdom


I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I am a USC and my husband is a UKC. We currently live in the UK and would like the option to move back the US at some point. We are in no rush and wondered if we can apply for the IR-1/CR-1 now from the UK even though we have no immediate plans to move to the US?

I have a feeling the answer is no but just wanted to be sure!

Thank you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

One of the requirements of petitioning (from the US)is that once the visa is issued, you have 6 months to use it to travel to the US.

If you petition via the London consulate, one of the requirements is that the USC has 'domicile' in the US and indicates that moving to the US is imminent, or has already begun - again you must use the visa within 6 months of it being issued.

Sorry, this process isn't for people who want to move to the US 'at some point'. It is for people who are planning on moving to the US as soon as possible.

good luck on your journey. When you do decide to move to the US, Visa Journey will be invaluable to you!

August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2

February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete

May 4, 2009

May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011


April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony


September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being that you are in no hurry you ahve great advantages. Lots of time to research your options and prepare for when you do want to make the journey.

One great option in your case may be to file DCF and IR-1 when the time is right.

You'd have to meet the requirements for IR-1 (how long you have been married).

Read through the DCF guide here in VJ. As "Canadian_Wife" mentioned you'd have to establish "domile" in the US also.

Best Wishes and Happy Reading! It's great that you are together and have "options"!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...