c47v3770

DS-230 documents translation

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Is it true that the documents required for the DS-230 (birth certificate, polices records, etc)don't have to be translated word for word?

A friend who works at a law office has sent me translation templates for the certificates.

The template for the birth certificate looks like this:

85635724.jpg

Do you think that would work for NVC?

Thanks a bunch..

Edited by c47v3770

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi,

Is it true that the documents required for the DS-230 (birth certificate, polices records, etc)don't have to be translated word for word?

A friend who works at a law office has sent me translation templates for the certificates.

Although I don't know the answer to your question, I would like to know this as well.

Are you doing the translations yourself?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

The template for the birth certificate looks like this:

85635724.jpg

Do you think that would work for NVC?

Thanks a bunch..

It needs to be an "official"translation. You will need to pay some government office to do it.

Yes. I really don't want to pay someone if I can translate the documents myself.

But at the same time, I don't want to send this and get a RFE..

What to do...what to do

Although I don't know the answer to your question, I would like to know this as well.

Are you doing the translations yourself?

It needs to be an "official"translation. You will need to pay some government office to do it.

Ahh not really. In the travel.state.gov site it only says:

Translation Requirements

All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the:

* Translation is accurate, and

* Translator is competent to translate.

I translated my birth certificate when I had to send the I-130 and they accepted it.

Thing is, these other documents are a bit more complex...especially the divorce certificate.

Edited by c47v3770

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hey guys,

I was told by one NVC operator that I did not have to translate my mom's documents since her interview will be held in her native country. I called NVC to ask if I needed to translate her international birth certificate because while it is in English, the signature from the Office of Vital Statistics is in Romanian. The operator told me that I did not need to translate it since they will be reviewing the documents in Romania. She told that since I put the effort into translating her police and divorce certificates, I should send those in - but that their translation was not required. I'm not sure if this is accurate since the Department of State webpage talks about having the documents translated. So, please double-check this information.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I can tell you what happened to us at the consulate in Italy.

They accepted documents both in English and Italian, no need to translate them. There was a Japanese lady who had her birth certificate translated (bc it was in Japanese it had to be translated into English).

she did the translation herself and then got a notarization by some public notary stating that this lady declared the translation was accurate. The consulate staff did not accept it, bc the notarization in fact didn't prove anything.

So, unless you can submit documents in the official language of the place where the interview is (I'm not sure it's always possible), then get an official translation.

It can cost more, but it will save you a lot of time.

Well, the interview will take place in La Paz, Bolivia and all documents are in Spanish.

I guess I will just call the NVC tomorrow and see what they say.

According to my friend, those templates are just fine for NVC since they use them all the time..

Guess there's only one way to find out..

If anyone could share their experience with the DS-230, that would be great..

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.