ScottThuy

Does the Consulate extend the expiration date?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The petition expired late January... When I asked what the current expiration date was to get some insight into when we may be out of AP,this was the response:

Dear Sir,

Please note that the original expiration date of the case is unchanged since the consular officer has the authority to extend the validity of a petition if processing time exceeds the original validity. So, please do not worry.

Sincerely,

Information Team

Consular Section

U.S. Consulate General HCMC

Validity-Expiration? blink.gif Is someone trying to be funny with words, or just a poor communicator? In AP with no real insight into when she will be here and they say "don't worry" rofl.gif

Edited by ScottThuy

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, excerpt from the Consulate FAQ section on K visas:

"1. Extending the Petition

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval from USCIS. The validity of the I-129F petition is automatically extended by consular officers if it expires."

I don't believe they are playing word games with you. I'm pretty sure this e-mail was answered by a VN staff person so you are getting a very literal answer based on that person's interpretation of what you were asking.

Filed: Timeline

I have been following this board for quite a while and I must say that this guy Scott is really missing the big picture. Rather than focusing on how to get his fiance over here, he is wasting his energy in knitpicking the wording of the emails from the Consulate in which we all beleive are cookie-cutter emails. What happened to all the big talk you had back then when you fiance first got placed on AP? I recall in some posts you clearly stated that you know some people in high places who can make things happen and clearly the Consulate is messing with the wrong guy. If you really do, then why are you here loosing sleep over an email? I went through this journey once before I know how everyone here feels but keeping your mental state stable is more important than anything else ...

Timeline

Scott, excerpt from the Consulate FAQ section on K visas:

"1. Extending the Petition

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval from USCIS. The validity of the I-129F petition is automatically extended by consular officers if it expires."

I don't believe they are playing word games with you. I'm pretty sure this e-mail was answered by a VN staff person so you are getting a very literal answer based on that person's interpretation of what you were asking.

I initially asked what the current expiration date is. This is why I said word games. They provided no current expiration date, only that they extend it.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

I have been following this board for quite a while and I must say that this guy Scott is really missing the big picture. Rather than focusing on how to get his fiance over here, he is wasting his energy in knitpicking the wording of the emails from the Consulate in which we all beleive are cookie-cutter emails. What happened to all the big talk you had back then when you fiance first got placed on AP? I recall in some posts you clearly stated that you know some people in high places who can make things happen and clearly the Consulate is messing with the wrong guy. If you really do, then why are you here loosing sleep over an email? I went through this journey once before I know how everyone here feels but keeping your mental state stable is more important than anything else ...

You have no clue what I focus on and my mental state is quite stable. Even after reading your post. I do know people in high places and was told I need to wait 90 days. What I said almost 2 months ago was right after being put in AP and anyone in AP can relate to the emotion at that point. I have no desire to get into with you for criticizing me. The original post was not about me, but about the duration of the extension.

This Scott Guy just happens to be one hell of a guy. Not only does he focus on the big picture but also the small picture and every picture in between. He is one of the most knowledgeable people here and does his homework in every aspect. I think all he is looking for here is a little reassurance and I'll be happy to stand by his side anyday anytime. I remember when we were going theough our application he was always there to help out with qurstions along with a few other memebers of the VN portal that I am very proud to call my friends.

Scott - I know I was concerned also because when we were stuck in our mini-AP I was very worried about passing the expiration date. I was told that the date would automatically be extended by the staff when I visited the consulte. We never ended up passing the date so it didnt end up applying to us but I understand your concern. We all know the tricks and treats the give at HCMC so your question is very valid. One always wonders under what circumstance they may chose not to extend the date.

Hang in there Bro - our thoughts and prayers are with you every day!!!

As for Just Looking - why don't you go root around in some other dirt, or maybe some freshly spread manure! What is your problem anyway!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Timeline

This Scott Guy just happens to be one hell of a guy. Not only does he focus on the big picture but also the small picture and every picture in between. He is one of the most knowledgeable people here and does his homework in every aspect. I think all he is looking for here is a little reassurance and I'll be happy to stand by his side anyday anytime. I remember when we were going theough our application he was always there to help out with qurstions along with a few other memebers of the VN portal that I am very proud to call my friends.

Scott - I know I was concerned also because when we were stuck in our mini-AP I was very worried about passing the expiration date. I was told that the date would automatically be extended by the staff when I visited the consulte. We never ended up passing the date so it didnt end up applying to us but I understand your concern. We all know the tricks and treats the give at HCMC so your question is very valid. One always wonders under what circumstance they may chose not to extend the date.

Hang in there Bro - our thoughts and prayers are with you every day!!!

As for Just Looking - why don't you go root around in some other dirt, or maybe some freshly spread manure! What is your problem anyway!

Cam on Bernie

Filed: Timeline

@Scott: I am just simply saying that those minor things shouldn't be of great concern to you. Getting your fiance here is your one and only priority. I said again, I was once in your shoes for a long long long time and if you let everything little thing bothers you, you will go crazy. Trust me!

@Bernie: There is no need to insult me! This is a forum, a virtual world where we "pretend" like we are one big happy family. Everyday, we get together to give group hugs and sugar-coated everything we say. Well, consider me a black sheep in the family. I do not want to sugar-coat anything. I will say things the way I see it although it might be harsh. I have looked over your timeline and you had a smooth sailing compare to many other couples here. Of course, it is easier said than done, right? You are now home free. Everyday now, you come home after a long day at work and there is your fiance waiting for you with a hot meal while Scott comes home to empty nest. For you, you can easily sugar-coated anything you say becuse you are not the one who has to deal with the fact that your case is in AP. Scott is! So - Like I said, I have read all the posts about his case as well as many other members where who are stuck in AP and they need to be kept in check and stay in focus. That is all! Peace ...

Timeline

@Scott: I am just simply saying that those minor things shouldn't be of great concern to you. Getting your fiance here is your one and only priority. I said again, I was once in your shoes for a long long long time and if you let everything little thing bothers you, you will go crazy. Trust me!

@Bernie: There is no need to insult me! This is a forum, a virtual world where we "pretend" like we are one big happy family. Everyday, we get together to give group hugs and sugar-coated everything we say. Well, consider me a black sheep in the family. I do not want to sugar-coat anything. I will say things the way I see it although it might be harsh. I have looked over your timeline and you had a smooth sailing compare to many other couples here. Of course, it is easier said than done, right? You are now home free. Everyday now, you come home after a long day at work and there is your fiance waiting for you with a hot meal while Scott comes home to empty nest. For you, you can easily sugar-coated anything you say becuse you are not the one who has to deal with the fact that your case is in AP. Scott is! So - Like I said, I have read all the posts about his case as well as many other members where who are stuck in AP and they need to be kept in check and stay in focus. That is all! Peace ...

You don't know me and if you feel you know all about my case by reading someposts you are very wrong and need not comment on my mental state. your post was inappropriate as was this one.. you can feel that you can say whatever you want because this is the internet,but this is a family of sorts and we all get along pretty well... by respecting others... you are stirring apot that needs no attention from you.

Peace out!

Actually we were in AP. We received a blue 221g and then a white 221g after we had already received pink approval. I removed it from my post to eliminate space. If I come accross someone with a similar situation I will chime in as to the specifics and let them know the details.

There is no sugar coating, not sure where you are getting that from. I actually met a number of couples while in VN and we did become friends. We also spent time with another couple whom the petitioner moved to Vietnam because they were denied. I dont think we "sugar coat" anything. The goal here is not to tell anyone what to do but rather to relate to them our experiences - good, bad and indifferent on hopes that others may learn something from past experience and try not to make the same mistakes. Hell, sometimes there was no mistake, just the wrong CO on the wrong day.

How were my words insulting? I said nothing insulting at all, just thought that your comments were a pile of manure and suggested you play in it.

TO EVERYONE! I hope we all have a good week - including by all means Just Looking. :thumbs:

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Timeline

I have to assume that they extend them for 6 months at a shot but don't tag them with a date in the system.. The member in AP waiting for TB results was told contact them every 6 months to be sure the case stays alive... I was actually hoping that they had to manually do something with the file every so often to extend it.. doesn't seem to be the case so much now...

One has to wonder what the reason for the expiration date is... does it hold us to some schedule or was it intended to hold them to some schedule?

The woman that I talked to at DoS this morning came accross as if DoS has the power to do whatever they want.. yep we all know this is true to some degree... she had the attitude to back it up...

At this point, I am a over the 4 months window and over 90 days in AP. The last word I heard, the case is still opened so they must have extended it. Thanks for validated that one, Scott!!

Edited by Ronnie&Hang

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

That "guy" was nice enough to drag a big bottle of aspirin, motrin and hydrogen peroxide across the Pacific for me, so I sort of like him too. I needed the peroxide the other day when my cat did a Bugs Bunny burn out on my foot. Thanks Scott!

I have gotten the impression that he certainly has his eye on the big picture and he has a point about the illiterates who work at the Consulate. It further proves, to me at least, that they are running the operation "Vietnam style". That should be of concern to you all.

Timeline

VN style?!!! Hellz yeah man!... who gets the coffee$? its almost over!kicking.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.