piscesforever

Name Change After Marriage

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I did my initial name change when I applied for my SSS number. I dropped my mom's last name and made my dad's my middle name. I didn't see any problem with this. However, I just read a topic in the Adjustment of Status (filing) wherein an applicant mentioned that the AOS interviewer told her not to follow the Philippine's way of name changing their middle name after marriage. Instead, keep her mom's last name as her middle name. Follow US rules. Because it will be a problem on Naturalization.

Does anyone have experienced this?

AOS timeline

05 Feb 2010 - Sent AOS package

08 Feb 2010 - Package arrived in the lockbox (confirmed through USPS) - received date

20 Feb 2010 - NOA1 AOS/EAD (hard copies) - notice date for both is 16 Feb 2010

27 Feb 2010 - Biometrics A. Letter Arrived (schedule: March 19)

10 Mar 2010 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics (schedule was: March 19)

10-11 Mar 2010 - two touches on both cases after my walk-in Biometrics

26 Mar 2010 - Received the notice in the mail requesting to appear in an interview

15 Apr 2010 - EAD Card production ordered notice received via email

16 Apr 2010 - EAD touched again

21 Apr 2010 - EAD touched (post-decision activity)

22 Apr 2010 - EAD touched

24 Apr 2010 - EAD card in the mail

28 Apr 2010 - Interview date --- approved =) / case touched

11 May 2010 - card production ordered

29 May 2010 - received green card in the mail

View my whole visa to aos timeline here

You can do it anyway you like...when you get married that is your free time to change your name...if you want to do it differently after that it could cost you by going through the courts to do it right. There is no set way to do it in the US...just the ways "so and so" wants you to do it....but its your choice because it is your name. do whatever is customary for you.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

You can do it anyway you like...when you get married that is your free time to change your name...if you want to do it differently after that it could cost you by going through the courts to do it right. There is no set way to do it in the US...just the ways "so and so" wants you to do it....but its your choice because it is your name. do whatever is customary for you.

Agreed. :yes::thumbs:

Timeline

have to agree ...Pam is going to use her last name as her middle name

what would I do without the love you give me.

http://www.slide.com/r/OCQnah5Yvj-ae3fW-YNXizAEbWcGzFT1?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

I-129F

09-18-09 I-129F sent Fed-Ex

09-21-09 package was signed for at service center

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-19-09 got the approval email and text !!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

12-24-09 NVC received approval!!!!!

01-05-10 NVC told me under Additional Processing!!!!!

01-11-10 NVC sent to manila!!!!!

01-15-10 Manila received DHL

01-20-10 Set interview dates for 02-08-2010

01-25-10 Medical - PASSED!!THANK GOD..

02-08-10 Interview- PASSED!!!! PRAISE GOD..

02-11-10 Received VISA!!!!!GOD IS GREAT..

02-23-10 Bye Phil.Welcome USA!!!Be with me GOD

flight Hawaiin Air leaves 7:50pm arrives 11:59pm in Phoenix!!!!

02-23-10 ARRIVED @ PHOENIX...yepeyyyy........

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As stated previously, you have 1 free name change when you get married. In Massachusetts, you do this when you fill out the paperwork for the Marriage License. It may be different in different states. You put down your name and your husbands name as well as your married name. After you get married you get a Marriage Certificate with this information on it that you then use to prove you are legally married and your name has been legally changed.

When Charry arrived, we got her SSC about 2 weeks after her arival. It had her maiden name on it (First, Mothers last, Fathers last).

When we got married, thats when we changed her name (First, Fathers last, Our last). We then went back with our Marriage Certificate and got her name changed on her SSC. Her GC has this name on it as well.

If you don't get the SSC until after marriage, bring your Marriage Certificate with your married name on it. They will look up your SSC by your maiden name and make the changes that are listed on the Marriage Certificate before submitting the request for the SSC to be sent to you.

Make sure to have your surname on the mailbox or the mail carrier will not deliver the SSC or your GC. We had to have Charry's SSC with her maiden name sent twice because we only had my surname on the mailbox and had not thought to have her surname on it as well. After the wedding we took her maiden surname off the mailbox.

Well, not really. My wife began using her former last name as her middle name after marriage. There really was no place on our marriage license to indicate your new last name. She signed it using her new middle and last names however. We applied for AOS using the desired new middle name. At AOS, the officer said we could not change the middle name and the green card was issued with her original middle name. We would of had to change it legally through the circuit court. We decided we had had enough hassels with all the AOS paperwork etc. and decided to not change it legally. We had already changed her middle name on bank accounts and SS card so we had to change those back.

Edited by Matt & Bing

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Well, not really. My wife began using her former last name as her middle name after marriage. There really was no place on our marriage license to indicate your new last name. She signed it using her new middle and last names however. We applied for AOS using the desired new middle name. At AOS, the officer said we could not change the middle name and the green card was issued with her original middle name. We would of had to change it legally through the circuit court. We decided we had had enough hassels with all the AOS paperwork etc. and decided to not change it legally. We had already changed her middle name on bank accounts and SS card so we had to change those back.

I guess it depends on the officer doing the interview. We just had our interview on April 13th, the officer didn't mention anything about her dropping her mom's maiden name and moving her fathers last name as her middle name and taking my last name. Maybe she didn't say anything cus we're both Filipino :blush::whistle: Heck, the interview for her AOS felt like I was just there to BS with her and we actually laughed at some of the answers I gave during the interview. BTW, it was stranged that during the interview, the officer didn't care who answered the questions she was asking, as I was doing most of the answering. :unsure:

If it were me, I would do it the way you want it, keep with the tradition, and if it comes up, explain to her/him why.

Ingats!

"No saan nga makaammo nga nangtaliaw ti naggapuanna, Saan a makadanon ti papananna..."

*04/23/10 - GC recieved in the mail!! d( -_-)b
*07/30/12 - ROC Approved!!
*08/08/12 - 10/yr GC received in the mail!!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I did my initial name change when I applied for my SSS number. I dropped my mom's last name and made my dad's my middle name. I didn't see any problem with this. However, I just read a topic in the Adjustment of Status (filing) wherein an applicant mentioned that the AOS interviewer told her not to follow the Philippine's way of name changing their middle name after marriage. Instead, keep her mom's last name as her middle name. Follow US rules. Because it will be a problem on Naturalization.

I have two first names, which adds to confusion of which middle name to use, but I will get the bridge when I get there. We are not filing for AOS anyway...

Edited by Jimfibi

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will let it as it is... Unless my interviewer told me to do so. :(

AOS timeline

05 Feb 2010 - Sent AOS package

08 Feb 2010 - Package arrived in the lockbox (confirmed through USPS) - received date

20 Feb 2010 - NOA1 AOS/EAD (hard copies) - notice date for both is 16 Feb 2010

27 Feb 2010 - Biometrics A. Letter Arrived (schedule: March 19)

10 Mar 2010 - Successful Walk-in Biometrics (schedule was: March 19)

10-11 Mar 2010 - two touches on both cases after my walk-in Biometrics

26 Mar 2010 - Received the notice in the mail requesting to appear in an interview

15 Apr 2010 - EAD Card production ordered notice received via email

16 Apr 2010 - EAD touched again

21 Apr 2010 - EAD touched (post-decision activity)

22 Apr 2010 - EAD touched

24 Apr 2010 - EAD card in the mail

28 Apr 2010 - Interview date --- approved =) / case touched

11 May 2010 - card production ordered

29 May 2010 - received green card in the mail

View my whole visa to aos timeline here

This was my concern also a couple of months ago. I signed our marriage certificate using my 2 first names and my husband's last name. I had my SSN and state ID with my 2 first names, my maiden name (as my new middle name) and my husband's last name (as my new married name) and it is how I had my name also in my AOS application. We had heard about this name change issue and did our research. We asked our county clerk about it but they said I can have my name however I want it and if I need to change it, I can only do it after 1 year of residency.

When I went to my biometrics, the supervisor told me I could not have my name the way I had it written on the application because there is a state law in Michigan that do not allow any other naming convention. She said that I would need to file for a change of name and attend a court hearing if I want to follow the Philippine naming convention. She even tried to scare me by saying that if she was the Immigration Officer handling my case, she would deny my AOS application. Of course this is ridiculous! We told her what the county clerk told us about the timing of filing for a name change so there is no way we can do that while doing the AOS. We also told her that we did not realize that it is going be an issue because other states do not care about how one wants to have their name changed after marriage. We said we will deal with whatever issue we will have with the Immigration Officer when we have our interview. I guess she knew we did our assignment and she cannot possibly intimidate us so she just had my biometrics taken without any more problems.

We had our interview last Monday (April 12) and the Immigration Officer did not even mention anything about the name change issue. Today, I received my welcome letter and it has my name the way I have written it on my application.

So I guess there is really nothing to worry about the name change.

Edited by MI.PI

This was my concern also a couple of months ago. I signed our marriage certificate using my 2 first names and my husband's last name. I had my SSN and state ID with my 2 first names, my maiden name (as my new middle name) and my husband's last name (as my new married name) and it is how I had my name also in my AOS application. We had heard about this name change issue and did our research. We asked our county clerk about it but they said I can have my name however I want it and if I need to change it, I can only do it after 1 year of residency.

When I went to my biometrics, the supervisor told me I could not have my name the way I had it written on the application because there is a state law in Michigan that do not allow any other naming convention. She said that I would need to file for a change of name and attend a court hearing if I want to follow the Philippine naming convention. She even tried to scare me by saying that if she was the Immigration Officer handling my case, she would deny my AOS application. Of course this is ridiculous! We told her what the county clerk told us about the timing of filing for a name change so there is no way we can do that while doing the AOS. We also told her that we did not realize that it is going be an issue because other states do not care about how one wants to have their name changed after marriage. We said we will deal with whatever issue we will have with the Immigration Officer when we have our interview. I guess she knew we did our assignment and she cannot possibly intimidate us so she just had my biometrics taken without any more problems.

We had our interview last Monday (April 12) and the Immigration Officer did not even mention anything about the name change issue. Today, I received my welcome letter and it has my name the way I have written it on my application.

So I guess there is really nothing to worry about the name change.

Interesting as I am in Michigan too. Yes, there is nothing to worry about ... depending on your IO!

(A woman at our biometrics also told us we could not change the middle name unless by doing it legally).

Edited by Matt & Bing

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

hm.. i have two first names too. and i have written down my name in all applications the filipino way (first name, 2nd name, dad's last name, hubby's last name) but when my GC arrived it had my 2nd name as my middle name (first name, 2nd name initial, hubby's last name). but the codes at the bottom of the card says (first name, 2nd name, dad's last name, hubby's last name) so i am a little bit confused. my SSN card though has my name right (the filipino way, the way i wanted it)

955jbsadc6.png

american.gif philippines.gif

Visa Journey

08/01/2009 - Sent I-130 package

09/18/2009 - I-130 approved

09/30/2009 - Case number assigned

12/17/2009 - Failed log in / Case completed YES!!

02/03/2010 - VISA interview at 830am -- VISA APPROVED

03/06/2010 - POE San Francisco via PAL

04/17/2010 - GC and SSN in the mail

ROC

01/06/2012 - Sent I-751 package to CSC

01/09/2012 - I-751 delivered at 11:12am / Date of NOA1

01/12/2012 - Check cashed

01/14/2012 - Received NOA1 hard copy

01/20/2012 - Date of ASC Appointment letter

01/25/2012 - Received ASC Appointment letter hard copy

02/07/2012 - Biometrics done

03/06/2012 - CR1 expiration

06/13/2012 - Date ROC approved

06/15/2012 - Ordered new card production

06/19/2012 - USCIS mailed the new card

06/21/2012 - Got approval letter and my 10 year GC in the mail (GC expires 06/15/2022)

N-400

12/09/2014 - Sent N-400 package

12/13/2014 - N-400 delivered at 10:13 am

12/15/2014 - Date of NOA

12/16/2014 - Date NOA was received by USCIS

12/22/2014 - Received NOA (hard copy) in the mail

12/30/2014 - Date of Yellow Letter

01/04/2015 - Received yellow letter in the mail

01/07/2015 - Biometrics appointment

01/09/2015 - In line for the interview

01/16/2015 - Received interview letter in the mail

02/13/2015 - Interview date (Approved)

04/03/2015 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.