one...two...tree

Steve Jobs demos Apple Macintosh, 1984

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why do you love Steve Jobs? :devil:

You should be asking yourself the opposite - why do you hate Apple? Here's an American company that has had its up and downs, but under the helm of Jobs, has been incredibly successful over the last decade.

Filed: Timeline

You should be asking yourself the opposite - why do you hate Apple? Here's an American company that has had its up and downs, but under the helm of Jobs, has been incredibly successful over the last decade.

The only reason people seem to hate Apple is because no one likes fanatics.

Do you think all those people who hate the Christian Right hate God?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

The only reason people seem to hate Apple is because no one likes fanatics.

Do you think all those people who hate the Christian Right hate God?

Fanaticism is everywhere. There were fanatical Beatles fans back in their heyday, but that didn't make the Beatles any less brilliant.

Fanaticism is everywhere. There were fanatical Beatles fans back in their heyday, but that didn't make the Beatles any less brilliant.

If you accept you're an irrational fanatic, I'll concede Apple's essential brilliance (while maintaining that the iPad is nothing more than an overgrown iPod Touch).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you really want to get nostalgic, why not go back to the real thing?

My very first personal computer was an Apple II clone. I used to have a subscription to inCider magazine :P.

Apple II had an open architecture - you could pop open the case and stuff in expansion boards, a Z80 card to run CP/M, a modem, a third party joysticks and game controllers via its ports. You could program in assembler directly to its 6502 assembler language and PEEK/POKE every memory mapped device controller. It was open, it was fun, it was a hacker's dream machine.

The Mac killed the Apple II line (//e, //c etc). Sure, it had a modern windowed desktop and a mouse and a Motorola 68000 CPU. It was revolutionary (if you call ripping off Xerox PARC revolutionary), but it was a closed box. No 3rd party cards or devices. Even printers and peripherals had to come from Apple. Apple has retained that closed proprietary architecture ever since. And ever since, I have never owned another Apple computer and have no desire to.

It's not that I came to love Wintel machines. What I liked is that anyone could put together a Wintel box and stuff in the cards and peripherals of their choice. And, with the advent of Linux, It was only an Intel box not a Wintel one. And soon enough, not even that. I currently run Ubuntu on an AMD machine. I'm much happier with that than I would be with a Mac.

The Mac killed the Apple II line (//e, //c etc). Sure, it had a modern windowed desktop and a mouse and a Motorola 68000 CPU. It was revolutionary (if you call ripping off Xerox PARC revolutionary), but it was a closed box. No 3rd party cards or devices. Even printers and peripherals had to come from Apple. Apple has retained that closed proprietary architecture ever since. And ever since, I have never owned another Apple computer and have no desire to.

Stop it, you're gonna make Steven cry.

Timeline

If you really want to get nostalgic, why not go back to the real thing?

My very first personal computer was an Apple II clone. I used to have a subscription to inCider magazine :P.

My High School had several Apple IIe's....this was around 1983. But my first experience on computer was with a Commodore. I never owned one though.

The Mac created a whole new industry - desktop publishing.

Apple has a history of copying or using others products.

Mouse = Zerox

GUI = Zerox

OSx = Unix

Until apple opens up their OS to run on other hardware, I will not purchase their system. Then again, if apple did allow for the hundreds of variations of hardware, they might understand the complexity of programing for all of these devices. Hence why I have much more respect for Microsoft than Apple.

The exorbitant price apple charges for their hardware is ridiculous by any stretch. If people are silly enough to pay that sort of money, then go right ahead. If anyone wants to pay 5 times the price for the same ram than I can buy from Kingston or Corsair for 1/5 the price, go right ahead.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama