Lys

FORM I-130 process and fee

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been looking everywhere for a forum like this!

I am engaged to a Canadian man, and we've decided to have him move down to the United States, instead of me moving up to Canada, and we are very unclear about what the entire process will be like.

I've tried researching at www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis and I think I've found the correct paperwork I'd need to file (I-130 and G-325A) but I was never able to find detailed information about application fees.

I'm also concerned about when I should file for a VISA/Green Card for him, do we do it before marriage or after? Which is faster or cheaper? I believe the I-130 FORM is for after marriage, but after we get that form filled out is there another that accompanies it? Or is he automatically approved to begin working in the states.

Any information or advise would be so wonderful!

Thank you!

I've been looking everywhere for a forum like this!

I am engaged to a Canadian man, and we've decided to have him move down to the United States, instead of me moving up to Canada, and we are very unclear about what the entire process will be like.

I've tried researching at www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis and I think I've found the correct paperwork I'd need to file (I-130 and G-325A) but I was never able to find detailed information about application fees.

I'm also concerned about when I should file for a VISA/Green Card for him, do we do it before marriage or after? Which is faster or cheaper? I believe the I-130 FORM is for after marriage, but after we get that form filled out is there another that accompanies it? Or is he automatically approved to begin working in the states.

Any information or advise would be so wonderful!

Thank you!

You have decisions to make. Essentially, you have two paths: 1) apply for a K1 fiancee visa or 2) get married, each reside in your respective countries until the CR1 visa is granted. Each comes with it's own procedures and issues. It's best to have a look at the guides on visajourney; get familiar with them. The guides speak to the different types of visaa. You can also consult with an immigration lawyer. For each path, there is specific and prescribed documents that need to be completed and filed. Rather than me bleeting on about what those are, it's best to start doing some of the research on here so you'll have a reasonable idea of what's required.

Nothing automatically gets him approved to begin working in the States. If you file the K1 petition then you also have to file additional forms for work authorization and travel; with the CR1 he would be legal to work and travel once he gets that approved. This is a process and will take months.

Read the guides and see what you think.

Good luck.

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi and welcome,

Which will be faster depends on where he lives in Canada. Also what you mean by faster - ie: you want to get him to the U.S. asap or you want him to be able to work asap.

You should begin by reading the guides, the link is at the top of this page. Have a look at K1 (fiance) and CR1 (married less than 2 years) - those are your two options.

With the fiance visa, you do the majority of the paperwork after he arrives in the U.S. - with the CR1, you do the paperwork up front.

If he lives in Western Canada then he will interview at the Vancouver consulate - for the K1 visa only. If he lives in Eastern Canada he will interview in Montreal, regardless of which visa you choose to persue. The good part about the K1 and Vancouver is the interview will be scheduled much sooner.

The USCIS site seems to be down at the moment, but you can find all the fees there, just google USCIS fees.

Edited by trailmix

• 3 weeks later...

FEES:

I-130 Package $355

AOS Fees $70

IV Fees (inc security charge) $400

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2010-06-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-19

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2010-08-03

NVC Received : 2010-08-10

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-08-17

Pay I-864 Bill 2010-09-01

Receive I-864 Package : 2010-09-18

Return Completed I-864 : 2010-09-21

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-09-25

Receive IV Bill : 2010-10-05

Pay IV Bill : 2010-10-06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.