w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Research suggests white slavery was much more common than previously believed

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh I know what you're doing - you're trying to springboard from the Barbary Coast to the same rant about black entitlement that we've heard half a hundred times before.

The article isn't talking about slavery in the US, but in Europe and North Africa. As far as slavery in the US is concerned Blacks were overwhelmingly on the shitty end of that particular stick.

No purpose is served by denigrating and downplaying the suffering of a particular group of people just to advance some agenda, based on a grudge you have against those people in the present day.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I am illustrating that most other people whose ancestors experienced similar hardship, more often than not 100 fold worse, have moved on and don't use historical events to get their way.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Who is in a position to say it was worse? How does one qualify that statement?

I think we all know full well that slavery didn't only take place in the US; but as far as the US IS CONCERNED, blacks were predominantly the victims. Why on Earth would anyone want to start comparing atrocities with a view to suggesting which was "worse" - to me that's deeply unpleasant and odious.

Again, none of which has anything to do with the OP article.

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm just mentioning what the word on the US streets is from the likes of Jesse Jackson and co. Apparently black Americans have a trademark on slavery.

We were in Port Aurthur Tasmania the other week, where 'white' Australian convicts were actually tortured to death. I thought this must be some sort of mistake, ask anyone here and they will tell you firsthand that cotton picking American slaves had it the hardest.

There is a vast difference between the two scenarios. The african slaves were essentially kidnapped and forced against their will to perform cheap labor. The Australians were criminals who forfeit their rights as such. Dirty criminals probably deserved that.

There is a vast difference between the two scenarios. The african slaves were essentially kidnapped and forced against their will to perform cheap labor. The Australians were criminals who forfeit their rights as such. Dirty criminals probably deserved that.

Actually more often than not they were sold by their own people or by rival tribes to dutch and English slave exporters. Contrary to popular yet erroneous belief in America, they were not kidnapped by white Americans and then used as slaves.

Whereas, many of Australia's convicts were petty thieves that were exiled for stealing a loaf of breed and so on. Anyway, fast forward to 2010, who is more civilized? Yanks or Aussies. I won't even bother asking the same question based on demographics, as the answer will be an inhalation. Especially considering the ~ 30 to 1 murderer ratio. Not even convicts were that uncivilized.

Edited by Ali G.

"I believe in the power of the free market, but a free market was never meant to

be a free license to take whatever you can get, however you can get it." President Obama

Timeline

Actually more often than not they were sold by their own people or by rival tribes to dutch and English slave exporters. Contrary to popular yet erroneous belief in America, they were not kidnapped by white Americans and then used as slaves.

Whereas, many of Australia's convicts were petty thieves that were exiled for stealing a loaf of breed and so on. Anyway, fast forward to 2010, who is more civilized? Yanks or Aussies.

None the less, the African slaves were taken, not of their own will. The Australian criminals forfeit their rights when they commited a crime. Whether or not it was a proportional response is not the point. They were criminals who were being punished.

Well, lets see, you're beer is #######, even worse than american lagers, you're sports federation is #######, and lets not even get into vegemite. So, who is more civilized? :lol:

None the less, the African slaves were taken, not of their own will. The Australian criminals forfeit their rights when they commited a crime. Whether or not it was a proportional response is not the point. They were criminals who were being punished.

Perhaps we can talk about being enslaved under the Ottoman Empire versus being a cotton picker.

Well, lets see, you're beer is #######, even worse than american lagers, you're sports federation is #######, and lets not even get into vegemite. So, who is more civilized? :lol:

Rob please, American beer is embarrassing, particularly the light in calories rubbish.

You mean "world sports" like NFL, Nascar, college Basketball?

Don't even start with food. Wholefoods quality is the equivalent of spoiled produce in AUS supermarkets. I was just there and can without a doubt say the quality of fresh produce is second to none.

Edited by Ali G.

Timeline

Perhaps we can talk about being enslaved under the Ottoman Empire versus being a cotton picker.

Rob please, American beer is embarrassing, particularly the light in calories rubbish.

I'll agree with you there, but the Aussie beers i've had are just as bad if not worse. At least we've got Samuel Adams and Sierra Nevada.

You mean "world sports" like NFL, Nascar, college Basketball?

Don't even start with food. Wholefoods quality is the equivalent of spoiled produce in AUS supermarkets. I was just there and can without a doubt say the quality of fresh produce is second to none.

First of all, Nascar is not a sport, secondly, I write off american football, just as I do australian rules football. Basketball is a world sport, whether your nation sucks at it or not. I was actually judging sports on olympic sports. I used to go to Australia when I was a teen for swimming and water polo tournaments. Was great seeing such support for those sports there, even though the home teams were always coming in second or further back :P

where my reparations at?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

I'll agree with you there, but the Aussie beers i've had are just as bad if not worse. At least we've got Samuel Adams and Sierra Nevada.

SA is the same deal as James Boags or Carlton Cold, they are not as heavily exported or known. Forget about Fosters as it's merely a marketing stunt.

You have to admit that for 22 million, they have quite a damn good swimming team.

Edited by Ali G.

where my reparations at?

:whistle: Perhaps I can qualify for AA in those countries.

It would be funny to raise this point to all of these middle-eastern and African nations and gauge their response. Unfortunately, they only seem to recollect history when they were wronged and seem to develop amnesia regarding times when it was the other way around.

Edited by Ali G.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Especially considering the ~ 30 to 1 murderer ratio. Not even convicts were that uncivilized.

interestingly enough, if we remove blacks and hispanics from the statistics, US murder rates are lower than aussie.

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Timeline

interestingly enough, if we remove blacks and hispanics from the statistics, US murder rates are lower than aussie.

Care to quantify that statment?

Edited by Rob and Mel