hbk8941

quick question

10 posts in this topic

i going to get marry next month at the Philippines. what do i need to bring with me? i know i have to bring my passport of course how else will i leave the country lol anything else i need to bring so i be prepared early.

lots of $$$$$ :bonk::P;) for ur wedding expenses... just joking..

well what i know u can get legal capacity to marry here in the US embassy Phil.

good luck and congratz to u!!! :thumbs:

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

hmm so you are going to go the CR-1 route now? IF you were married prior, you need your decree with the court stamp on it to get the legal capacity to marry.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

From the Dept of State Website:

Marriage in the Philippines

DISLAIMER: THE INFORMATION IN THIS CIRCULAR RELATING TO THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS OF SPECIFIC FOREIGN COUNTRIES IS PROVIDED FOR GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY AND MAY NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE IN A PARTICULAR CASE. QUESTIONS INVOLVING INTERPRETATIONS OF SPECIFIC FOREIGN LAWS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO FOREIGN ATTORNEYS OR FOREIGN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS.

NOTE: SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR MILITARY PERSONNEL AND INFORMATION REGARDING VISAS ON PAGES TWO AND THREE.

Any foreigner who wishes to marry in the Philippines is required by the Philippine Government to obtain from his/her Embassy an "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry" before filing an application for a marriage license. A citizen of the United States may execute the affidavit at the American Embassy in Manila. The American Embassy in Manila is located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila, the telephone number is (63) (2) 521-7116, and the fax number is (63) (2) 522-4361. The American needs to present his/her U.S. passport and proof of the termination of any prior marriage(s) (court certified copies of divorce degrees or registrar certified copies of death certificates), if applicable. There is a service fee of $30.00 for the affidavit.

The affidavit must be obtained from the U.S. Embassy in Manila. Philippine authorities will not accept any substitute document initiated in the United States.

RIGHT OF CONSULAR OFFICER TO REFUSE TO PERFORM SERVICE:

This affidavit is issued as a notarial act by the U.S. Consular Officer and as such the consular officer is authorized by Title 22 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 92.9b, to refuse to perform the service if the document in connection with which the notarial act is requested will be used for a purpose patently unlawful, improper, or inimical to the best interests of the United States. Entering into a marriage with an alien strictly for the purpose of gaining entry to the United States for that individual is considered as an unlawful act.

POSSIBLE PENALITIES IN CONJUNCTION WITH THIS SERVICE:

Section 4221 of Title 22 United States Code provides for punishment of individuals who commit perjury in an affidavit taken by a consular officer.

SPECIAL PROCEDURES FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NEVER MET THE FIANCE/FIANCEE:

If you have never previously met your fiancé/fiancée, it may be advisable to take copies of your written correspondence and telephone bills to document the validity of your relationship to the consular officer at the U.S. Embassy in Manila. This may prevent refusal of the notarial service in connection with the issuance of your Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry.

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR U.S. MILITARY PERSONNEL:

U.S. military personnel stationed or visiting in the Philippines should see their servicing military personnel office regarding DOD joint service regulation - Marriage in Oversea Command (Army Regulation 600-240, BUPERUSCIST 1752.1, Air Force Regulation 211-18, and MCO 1752.1 for U.S. Marine Corps personnel). The affidavit will be refused if proper military authorization is not presented by U.S. military personnel.

THE MARRIAGE APPLICATION PROCESS:

Once the person has the affidavit, he/she can file the application for a marriage license at the office of the local Philippine Civil Registrar of the town or city where one of the parties is a resident. The U.S. citizen applicant will need to present the affidavit, death certificate or divorce decree as mentioned above, U.S. passport, and documentation regarding parental consent or advice if applicable. Marriage applicants who are age 18 to 21 must have parental consent in writing, those age 21 to 25 must have written parental advice (a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple's intent to marry). The revised Family Code of the Philippines, which took effect on August 4, 1988, prohibits marriage for individuals below the age of 18.

Normally there is a ten-day waiting period before the marriage license is issued by the registrar's office. In some instances the fiancée may apply in advance for the marriage license with the local civil registrar. The American citizen must then obtain the affidavit of legal capacity upon arrival in the Philippines and file it immediately with the civil registrar where the fiancée applied for the marriage license. A marriage license cannot be obtained by a fiancée without presence of the prospective spouse.

The marriage can be performed by a judge, justice of the peace, priest, or minister of religion.

Marriage to a U.S. citizen confers neither citizenship nor an automatic eligibility for entry to the United States.

Yes your passport will be required...but you will be bringing that anyway :thumbs:

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

if i wasn't married before i only need to bring my passport.

your passport and Birth Certificate :)

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

if i wasn't married before i only need to bring my passport.

As mentioned it is best to bring your birth Certificate, logic would say your passport is good enough, but on many occations I was asked for the BC, even I tried to give them my passport

Marriage :2009-12-31

I-485-AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 2010-01-12

I-485 RFE response received by USCIS : 2010-02-010

EAD/AP Approved Date: 2010-03-11

AP Received Date: 2010-03-16

EAD Received Date 2010-03-19

AOS Interview Appointment 2010-05-10

Green Card approved 2010-05-10

Email received Card Production ordered 2010-05-13

Green Card received 2010-06-08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.