In_AR_From_TX

questions regarding Police certificate aka character certificate issues for Pakistani beneficiary

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

So I am getting things ready for my wifes trip through the NVC. I have run into a slight issue and would appreciate any help or guidance that anyone can offer me.

I am a US citizen who is applying for a CR1\IR1 visa for my wife.

I have a question regarding the Police Certificate also known in Pakistan as the Character Certificate.

After we were married in November 2009 my wife (beneficiary) updated her Pakistani id card and passport to reflect that she was now married and accordingly she had to update her address on her passport and id card with my address in Pakistan.

My understanding is that the Police Certificate (Character Certificate) required for the CR1\IR1 visa needs to be issued from each locality that the beneficiary has resided in. My wife has lived almost all her life in Karachi; her Pakistani ID card and her Pakistani passport have a new and updated address which is barely 5 months old. I was informed by the authority that issues the police certificate that it will only be issued against the address that is on her passport and id card, which has the new address on it. They informed her that they will not issue any other certificates against any other Karachi addresses; they will only issue a Police Certificate against her address that is on her passport and id card. Will this be sufficient or is there something else I need to do in order to satisfy her visa requirements?

Please also note that her address on her passport and id card are different then the address on her CR1\IR1 visa and I-130 applications. Both the addresses are valid however all visa related items need to be mailed to her address that is on her application. Will this be an issue?

Meanwhile I ahve also emailed the US embassy in Islamabad to see what their thoughts are.

Thanks in advance to all who can help me get this figured out.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It won't matter - as this is a 'national report' and

you'll be providing her addresses on the DS-230 .

So, get the Character Report thingie, asap, you'll need it in a week to three weeks (if in fact, you are wanting some speed)

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I had same problem, my last adress was differnt from the adress on ID card, but i submitted police certificte with old adress and that works fine for me

USCIS JOURNEY

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

Marriage : 2009-03-21

I-130 Sent : 2009-05-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-06-03

I-130 Approved : 2009-08-25 ALHAMDULILLAH ALLAH IS GREATEST

I-130 NOA2 hard copy: 2009-08-29

NVC JOURNEY

NVC Received/case number assigned : 2009-09-04

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-09-11

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-09-11 (online)

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-09-14

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-09-15

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-09-12 (by email)

DS-3032 accepted : 2009-09-26

Receive IV Bill : 2009-09-26

Pay IV Bill : 2009-09-26

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-09-29

Login Failed : 2009-10-26

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-10-27

NVC Left : 2009-10-28

Interview date : 2009-12-16 APPROVED ALHAMDULILLAH

Visa Received : 2009-12-24

Port of Entry (Houston):2010-01-28 VerySmooth ALHAMDULILLAH

Welcome notice arrived:2010-02-16

Green Card Arrived : 2010-02-25

Removal of Conditions

I-751 Package sent to VSC : 2011-12-03

NOA1 received : 2011-12-23

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Please help me, what you did to get police certificate from Karachi? I am trying but you know them its hard and almost seems impossible to get police certificate unless I pay them very heavy fee.

Any advice will help

HERE ARE MY TIMELINE:

=====================

My wife K-3:

============

Mailed: Sept 16,2006

Received: Sept 18,2006

NOTICE date: Sept 22,2006

Received notice in mail: Sept. 27

10/25/06: Notice of transfer to Vermont Center issued

10/26/06: touched & status changed with notice of transfer

11/01/06: Touched

11/02/06: Touched

11/18/06: State Changed without touch date. Last touch date still showing 11/02/2006 but with new message).

12/29/06: Approval Email recieved

NVC and Consulate:

=============

01/03/07: NVC assigned case#

01/05/07: Petition forwarded to Islamabad, Pakistan (US Embassy)

01/22/07: Called US embassy Islamabad, they did confirmed it.

02/08/07: Received Interview Letter from Embassy

03/06/07: Interview Schedule (Pray for me)

Timeline

the police certificate that I am getting for my wife is through her brothers connections. If you go to the police station (police choki) in ur area they should be able to give u an idea of what needs to be done to get a character certificate. U as well as I do that u might have to pay a few $$ to get things moving or done regarding the police certificate. Also look here for more pakistan specific info http://travel.state.gov/pdf/pk3_supplements/ISL-PK3-ENGL-0001-0802.pdf

gluck

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Timeline

So I am getting things ready for my wifes trip through the NVC. I have run into a slight issue and would appreciate any help or guidance that anyone can offer me.

I have a question regarding the Police Certificate also known in Pakistan as the Character Certificate.

After we were married in November 2009 my wife (beneficiary) updated her Pakistani id card and passport to reflect that she was now married and accordingly she had to update her address on her passport and id card with my address in Pakistan.

My understanding is that the Police Certificate (Character Certificate) required for the CR1\IR1 visa needs to be issued from each locality that the beneficiary has resided in. My wife has lived almost all her life in Karachi; her Pakistani ID card and her Pakistani passport have a new and updated address which is barely 5 months old. I was informed by the authority that issues the police certificate that it will only be issued against the address that is on her passport and id card, which has the new address on it. They informed her that they will not issue any other certificates against any other Karachi addresses; they will only issue a Police Certificate against her address that is on her passport and id card. Will this be sufficient or is there something else I need to do in order to satisfy her visa requirements?

Please also note that her address on her passport and id card are different then the address on her CR1\IR1 visa and I-130 applications. Both the addresses are valid however all visa related items need to be mailed to her address that is on her application. Will this be an issue?

Meanwhile I ahve also emailed the US embassy in Islamabad to see what their thoughts are.

Does the SSP office accept POC card as a valid Pakistani ID?

• 3 months later...

Hi did you get the PC thing sorted out. I was being proactive, my wife went to the local Police Station and they are asking her for a letter from the Embassy requesting it. Do you know what I can provide ? I really wanted to the police certificate to be with me so that as soon as 230 is ready to be sent out I can send it. Any ideas how I can go about speeding up this process ?

Timeline

As far as I remember you have to have the letter from the embassy asking for the PC and other documents otherwise they wont help you. Dont worry it only took a week or so for my wife to get her PC.

I had friends and neighbors who were either cops or had influential friends in the police that is how my wife got her PC's.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.