huhtaman

Fiance Visa in Ukraine

5 posts in this topic

Hello All:

I am married to a lady from Philippines & know the basics from filing an I-130 for my wife who arrived in USA last year. Based on that - an aquaintence asked me for advice on getting his fiance to USA from Ukraine - so I am posting for him here.

My friend is 60, financially stable, and owns his hoime outright. He is 60 and met a 36 year old lady from Ukraine last July 2009. He has visited her 3 times so far. Her English is very limited so they primarily communicate by email with daily emails - but very few phone calls. She is taking English lessons but is not at all fluent in English. He will continue to fly over every 60 days until she arrives in USA. They have plenty of pictures together and with her family from their 3 visits together. She is twice divorced and will bring a 13 year old child with her.

My friend filed an I-129F but got a denial letter. He only sent the I-129F but not any evidence - so the application was rejected out of hand (no RFE).

I have heard that the Eastern European consulates are very difficult due to fraud rates (especially Moscow). How tough is the Ukranian embassy ???

My largest concern is the fiance's lack of English skills. How much of a problem will this be during the interview ???

Whatever my aquaintence friend does, I will help him file a proper application with good evidence so the application should easily be approved by USCIS. Are ther any Ukrainian Embassy specific things that the consulate looks for ???

I told my aquaintence friend that he might increase his success rate by getting married and filing the I-130, then accompanying hisfiance to the interview. Will this increase the likelihood of approval ??? Is he better off just applying for a fiance visa ???

If he gets an interview 8 months from now, he will have made 7 or 8 trips to see his fiance and known her for 18 months. My largest concern is really his fiance's lack of English skills. Any advice would be appreciated. I am going to have him join Visajourney. Thank you.

Hoot n Dolly

3/09/07 I-130 Mailed

3/13/07 I-130 Received by USCIS

3/21/07 NOA 1 Notice

8/10/07 Touched

8/15/07 Assigned to Adjudicator

04/01/07 I-129F Mailed

04/03/07 I-129f received

04/05/07 I-129f NOA1

05/23/07 I-129f touched

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Same as it would be anywhere else. He'll have plenty of proof by the time of the interview.

Kiev is pretty lenient, even on a 24 year age difference, I'm sure they've seen twice that at one point or another.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Going to an interview is a real plus though. I know they like that in Kiev, but it's very far from necessary.

I'm going to ours just because it's what I've decided from the very beginning. And our case is as straightforward as they come (no age difference, no marriages, no kids, no criminal records, good financial support)

Whatever route he takes: CR-1 or K-1 is really up to them. Depending on what they want. I don't know if any route is better than the other based on their situation, because to me, even the age difference is noticeable, it doesn't raise too many red flags. Not for Kiev. If she was 18, eh, yeah, probably :D

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My friend filed an I-129F but got a denial letter. He only sent the I-129F but not any evidence - so the application was rejected out of hand (no RFE).

What exactly was the basis of the denial? No evidence of having met within the last two years? Usually if a petition is sent back it is because it is grossly incomplete. Tell your friend to Read the Guides here. It isn't rocket science.

I have heard that the Eastern European consulates are very difficult due to fraud rates (especially Moscow). How tough is the Ukranian embassy ???

If the relationship is real and legit, then there is no problem. How will they live if they can not talk to one another? Write letters when they are together? A paper based relationship is not a real relationship; it will be their onus to prove that they have a real relationship.

My largest concern is the fiance's lack of English skills. How much of a problem will this be during the interview ???

May be a big problem and may be not a problem. In what language do they communicate? This usually will be the language that the interview will be conducted in.

Whatever my aquaintence friend does, I will help him file a proper application with good evidence so the application should easily be approved by USCIS. Are ther any Ukrainian Embassy specific things that the consulate looks for ???

Look at he Ukraine Embassy website.

I told my aquaintence friend that he might increase his success rate by getting married and filing the I-130, then accompanying hisfiance to the interview. Will this increase the likelihood of approval ??? Is he better off just applying for a fiance visa ???

Will not matter. A relationship will have to be proved at the interview, regardless of marriage status.

If he gets an interview 8 months from now, he will have made 7 or 8 trips to see his fiance and known her for 18 months. My largest concern is really his fiance's lack of English skills.

Then tell him to save his money from the trips and buy her English classes. How will she live here if she can not speak English? Big problem there.

Hoot n Dolly

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

At the interview stage, Kiev seems to be one of the easier places to get approval (at least in Eastern Europe). Getting married first would add a little time to the process on the front end I think, but speed up the GC once she arrives - so six of one, half dozen the other. We really submitted very little proof - some email, some pics with her family (very helpful), and I definitely went for the interview.

USCIS only needs to know that you have 1) met during the past two years, and 2) understand the visa requirement (for K-1) and intend to marry within the three month timeframe. Your friends letter, affadavit, and some pics and email should work fine.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.