eclipse115

Confused about Fees - Canada

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm trying to get a general idea of what fees we can expect for getting the K-1. I've read some other posts but it just seems to confuse me more.

So far we've filed the petition and paid $455.

I know his medical will be $275 in Toronto and we'll have to pay some travel expenses for the interview in Montreal. I know there are nominal fees for the police certificate and birth certificate.

I think for packet 3 we will need:

DS-156 - Currently $131 but might go up to ____?

DS-156K - $0

DS-230 - I looked up the fee as $355 but I'm not sure if that applies.

I-134 - $0

Is this right? Is there something I'm missing or including that shouldn't be there?

I know you guys get this question a lot but unfortunately the government websites aren't very clear.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by eclipse115

03/29/10: Mailed I-129F to CSC via Fed-Ex 2-day

03/31/10: Received by CSC

03/31/10: NOA1

06/09/10: NOA2

09/27/10: Medical

11/23/10: Interview

Timeline

There are tonnes of forums that address your question, like this one

The main fee you're forgetting is the AOS fee (adjustment of status) which happens after you get married - and it's a big one: $1010 USD.

Summer 1997 - met for the first time :)

04/2010 - reunited

12/18/09 - engaged

01/14/10 - I-129F mailed to CSC

01/19/10 - I-129F NOA1

02/22/10 - I-129F NOA2

03/01/10 - NVC sent along to Montreal embassy

03/09/10 - Embassy mailed packet 3

03/10/10 - Called NVC, spoke to an operator, received case number, verification of delivery to MTL

03/11/10 - Packet 3 Received from MTL embassy

03/19/10 - Packet 3 Mailed in

04/12/10 - Medical in Toronto

04/12/10 - Packet 3 Logged

04/23/10 - Packet 4 Received

06/11/10 - Interview Date! - Passed!

06/18/10 - Receive visa

07/14/10 - Enter USA

07/30/10 - Wedding Day

Timeline

Sorry, I should have clarified. I wanted to know about fees before AOS. Thankfully that one was easy to figure out the cost.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The basic Visa application fee you listed with the DS-156 is currently $131 and is planned to go up to $350 when your Consulate/Embassy figures out how to implement the increase. You would have to watch the Embassy web site I think.

Also I know vaccinations and immunizations vary with each Consulate but your fiance(e) might be required to obtain some vaccinations before or during the medical if they did not keep their records. That could increase your costs. Even if the Embassy does not require it, in some cases it is a considerable amount but still less expensive then waiting to do it for AOS here in the USA.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Aside from the filling fee, the medical fee, and the costs associated with obtaining your BC, police clearance, missing immunizations, etc. There are no fees to worry about until you reach the interview stage. At the interview you will pay $131 for the processing of your visa, that's it. :)

Timeline

Ok . . . thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. Just trying to budget accordingly.

$455 - Original filing fee

$275 - Medical

Other smaller fees: Passport pictures, birth certificate, police clearance, travel expenses, shipping expenses. These vary by where you live, obviously.

(You need 3 passport pictures for your medical, if I remember correctly)

Packet 3 (the forms you listed in your post) has NO FEES.

The fee you pay at the interview (as of today's date) is $131 US. Like mentioned above, however, they are probably going to raise it to the $350. For the interview, you need 2 more passport pictures and an XPRESSPOST envelope.

Check out some of the Montreal Embassy reviews for a better idea of things like that, too. :)

- Tiffanney & Matthew -

K1 VISA: 09/11/09 - 08/10/10

MARRIED: 10/10/10
AOS/EAD/AP: 02/22/11 - 05/04/11

ROC
04/04/13: Mailed off!

04/09/13: NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.