yellowlight

How long do you have to enter the US once you are approved for the K-1 Fiance Visa?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Just wondering how long I have to enter the US once I have my Fiance Visa approved?

Also I know no-one has probably EVER asked this as everyone normally want's to just get straight over there. But is there anyway to stall the process as I am having to need more time to save up. ie do you get sent a date to for your interview and you HAVE to go, you can't get in touch and ask for another date? Or is there anyother way to stall the process to make more time.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you have the visa already be sure to travel when your visa is still good. I think fiance visa is good for 6 months from the date it is approved.

Edited by victorious

(AOS Sent 12/31/09)

AOS NOA letter received 1/12/10

1/6/10 received date

1/8/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 1/25/10

01/14/10 notice date

02/04/10 appointment date

(AED Sent 1/19/10)

AED NOA letter received 1/29/10

1/21/10 received date

1/27/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 2/2/10

1/29/10 notice date

2/17/10 appointment date

(RFE med exam)

RFE letter received 1/25/10

Notice dated 1/22/10

2/08/10 RFE response sent

2/16/10 received date by uscis MO

(Interview)

Appointment letter received 3/17/2010

Notice dated 3/10/2010

Interview date 4/14/2010

Approved GC 4/14/2010

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I know you can ask the US Embassy in Bangkok to set a later date. Actually you do not even send in your letter requesting an appointment which is how it works with the Bangkok Embassy.

But there is an expiration date on the NOA2. It is normally just a formality for the Embassy to extend the date for which the I-129F petition is good. So be sure to email the Embassy and request an extension for your I-129F Valid date.

Then you do not need to request your appointment until a little later on. You can probably delay at least six months reasonably. I am sure even longer.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In addition I had my interview Jan. 13 and the date i plan to travel to US in on March. I had my visa in hand after 2 weeks. Issue date Jan. 13 and expiration date is July 7. :) Waited 2 months then flew in US.

Edited by victorious

(AOS Sent 12/31/09)

AOS NOA letter received 1/12/10

1/6/10 received date

1/8/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 1/25/10

01/14/10 notice date

02/04/10 appointment date

(AED Sent 1/19/10)

AED NOA letter received 1/29/10

1/21/10 received date

1/27/10 notice date

Biometrics letter received 2/2/10

1/29/10 notice date

2/17/10 appointment date

(RFE med exam)

RFE letter received 1/25/10

Notice dated 1/22/10

2/08/10 RFE response sent

2/16/10 received date by uscis MO

(Interview)

Appointment letter received 3/17/2010

Notice dated 3/10/2010

Interview date 4/14/2010

Approved GC 4/14/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

Just wondering how long I have to enter the US once I have my Fiance Visa approved?

Also I know no-one has probably EVER asked this as everyone normally want's to just get straight over there. But is there anyway to stall the process as I am having to need more time to save up. ie do you get sent a date to for your interview and you HAVE to go, you can't get in touch and ask for another date? Or is there anyother way to stall the process to make more time.

How you stall the process depends on where you are in the process, and which consulate you are going through.

Once you receive your I-129F NOA2, it is valid for 4 months. The idea is that you have 4 months to complete the visa application process with the local consulate. Most consulates will delay your interview and extend this expiry date (some say for up to a year, but it will probably vary from consulate to consulate) if you are in contact with them and actively pursuing the application process, and have a good reason for the delay. The Packet 3 form will give you the opportunity to request a date range for the interview, and at least some some consulates are fairly accommodating about setting a date to suit your needs. I know Vancouver Canada was. They will issue you an interview date, but may be amenable to further negotiation to end up with a date that meets your needs. You pretty much have to contact them and ask. It won't hurt.

Once you have your interview, and the visa is issued, you will have 6 months to enter the US. That interval is carved in stone, and not amenable to extension or adjustment. So any extending of the process beyond that 6 months needs to be done prior to the visa approval.

It is perfectly fine if you enter the US on the 2nd last, or even on the last day of the visa's 6 month validity. Once you enter the US, you must marry within 90 days of your entry. It is also highly advisable to file your AOS before that 90 days finishes.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Thanks for all your replies! Very very helpful!

Well I am in the early stage at the moment as my fiance has only just recieved a letter to say they have recieved the k-1 application and have cashed the cheque! Ohh my consulate office is London but the K-1 application was sent to vermont.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.