jgmes

Passport Maiden or Married name (Philippines)

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

We just received our NOA2 but had a question for those who have gone through a similar situation.

Currently my wife's passport is under her maiden name, while filling out our paperwork however we use her married name. Before sending our package to the NVC should we update her passport to her married name beforehand?

Has anyone kept their passport using their maiden name but filed all your paperwork using your married name? If so, at the POE did you have any troubles?

If more info is needed please let me know.

Regards,

John

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage : 2010-01-12

I-130 Sent : 2010-01-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-02-10

I-130 RFE : n/a

I-130 RFE Sent : n/a

I-130 Approved : 2010-04-03

Edited by jgmes

Mhay changed her passport in the beginning of january and got it the beginning of feb back. How much longer is your wife's passport good for? If she has less than half the time remaining until it expires, it would be a good idea to get it renewed in the PI as it is cheaper to do. I cant comment about a passport in her maiden name and visa.. I know there are other peope that have done it this way and will let them comment on this.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

No problem if traveling with maiden name. Just be sure and have a copy of your MC with you.

There is NO requirement to notify the Philippine consul of name change.

If the Philippine passport doesn't expire until after [naturlized] she may get a US PP there's no need to change name in the PP unless she wants to get dual citizenship later.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

We just received our NOA2 but had a question for those who have gone through a similar situation.

Currently my wife's passport is under her maiden name, while filling out our paperwork however we use her married name. Before sending our package to the NVC should we update her passport to her married name beforehand?

Has anyone kept their passport using their maiden name but filed all your paperwork using your married name? If so, at the POE did you have any troubles?

If more info is needed please let me know.

Regards,

John

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage : 2010-01-12

I-130 Sent : 2010-01-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-02-10

I-130 RFE : n/a

I-130 RFE Sent : n/a

I-130 Approved : 2010-04-03

Using the married name will not pose a problem. If she wants to renew her Passport in her married name, check out this link.

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/default.htm

qip3dmkzd14e.png

01/05/12 - Mailed I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions.

01/09/12 - Petiton arrived us VSC.

11/15/12 - Wife Received ten year PR Card.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if all consulates follow the same procedures, but for Montreal, they issue the visa in the name that appears in the passport. I mention this as, if your wife wants to have her married name on her SS card and green card, it would be a good idea to change the name on the passport now.

Edited by trailmix

No problem if traveling with maiden name. Just be sure and have a copy of your MC with you.

There is NO requirement to notify the Philippine consul of name change.

If the Philippine passport doesn't expire until after [naturlized] she may get a US PP there's no need to change name in the PP unless she wants to get dual citizenship later.

Thanks for the info, she just got her passport back in November. If our MC and passport allows her to come her without issue then that's the route we'd like to take so we can get our paperwork to the NVC sent out stat.

Thanks again, cheers.

Thanks for the info, she just got her passport back in November. If our MC and passport allows her to come her without issue then that's the route we'd like to take so we can get our paperwork to the NVC sent out stat.

Thanks again, cheers.

Makes it a lot easier if she changes her Passport to her married name while she's still in the Philippines. She'll have to attend CFO to do so tho.

My wife did the whole trip while she was still in PI.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

My wife didnt have to attend the CFO seminar to change her passport. She just took the marriage certificate, her birth certificate, and her current passport and she was able to change it. The only thing that sucked was she went there one day to submit all the paperwork and had to go back a week later to pay....dont know why that was, but she did it all at the DFA in Manila.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

• 5 months later...

Makes it a lot easier if she changes her Passport to her married name while she's still in the Philippines. She'll have to attend CFO to do so tho.

My wife did the whole trip while she was still in PI.

Just following up on post, we ended up finding out that since our documents were filed under her married name she did in fact have to have her Passport updated as well, I'd advise getting this done as soon as possible, our process was delayed about a month because of this. Regarding CFO, she had to do this also.

Hope this helps for anyone applying for CR1

• 6 months later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi guys, just ran into this thread via google search for the same dillema.

My wife is going to be traveling back to the philippines in August and her passport will expire the next month, September. She had her passport before we got married so it is in her maiden name.

We got married in New York, but now reside in Hawaii and we did not know about the reporting of marriage to the NY Philippine consulate there. So the Hawaii PI consulate will not let us renew her passport in her married name unless we first report it and get some paperwork from the NY consulate...(what a headache).

My main question is...would it be wise of us to just renew her passport here in Hawaii under her maiden name and have her get it changed to her married name while she is in the Philippines? If so, what documentation does she need to bring with her? (above it says passport, marriage and birth certificate, but i just wanted to make sure nothing has changed since then).

Also, is there any real reason why she would need to change her passport to her married name? If not then maybe we will not even bother.

Thank you guys so much for your time and advice!!

-chad

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.