9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I have seen this topic here multiple times for the non-USC, but never for the USC. What if I, as the USC, want to change my surname to my husbands? How difficult would that be for the AOS process? Has anyone tried this before?

All the documentation is in my maiden name including the visa in his passport, the affidavit of support, the bank statements... everything.

Has anyone attempted to change their last name as the USC?

Kanyiri

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Timeline
I have seen this topic here multiple times for the non-USC, but never for the USC. What if I, as the USC, want to change my surname to my husbands? How difficult would that be for the AOS process? Has anyone tried this before?

All the documentation is in my maiden name including the visa in his passport, the affidavit of support, the bank statements... everything.

Has anyone attempted to change their last name as the USC?

This is the deal with SSA.

The applicant may submit either:

-- One legal name change document showing both the old and new names

(e.g., a court order for a name change or a marriage document). The

document must also show either (1) a description or photograph of

the person or (2) biographical information that can be compared with

the Numident data; or

-- When the name change document does not show either a photograph of

the person or biographical information that can be compared with the

Numident data, then, in addition to the name change document, the

applicant must also submit two acceptable identity documents. One

of the submitted identity documents must show the old name (the name

on the latest Numident record) AND the other submitted identity

document must show the new name (the name to be shown on the

corrected SSN card). The identity documents submitted must show

either a photograph of the applicant or provide biographical

information that can be compared with the Numident data.

EXAMPLE: Grace Russell submits a marriage document that does not show any biographical information for her, just her name and the name of her new husband, Daniel Reeder. To support her request to change her name to Grace Reeder, she must submit, in addition to the marriage document supporting the reason for the name change, two identity documents (both of which need to either provide some biographical information that can be compared to the Numident or a photograph that can be compared to the applicant during the interview). Grace submits in addition to the marriage document a Maryland driver’s license in the new name (Grace Reeder) and a United States passport in the old name (Grace Russell).

2. Bride Takes Groom’s Last Name

In all 50 U.S. States (this means the 50 States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) the bride may take her husband's last name (surname or family name) as her new last name. (EXAMPLE: Jane Doe married John Jones and she may change her name to Jane Jones.)

Interim Guidance: If the bride wants to take her husband’s last name, accept the marriage document as a legal name change for the bride if the new name can be derived from the marriage document; even if the marriage document only shows each partner’s first names, the bride’s prior surname and husband’s surname. The marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets the criteria described in RM 00203.200G.2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#G2

2. Determine if the ID Document Has Required Information

Ask the applicant to submit one or more documents that show the person’s name AND provide:

-- Biographical information in addition to the person’s name that the

reviewer can compare with the data on the SS-5 (e.g., date of birth,

age, or parents' names) and/or

-- Physical information that the reviewer can compare with the

applicant (e.g., physical description, photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document must have the person's name as well as information that can be compared to the Numident, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents' names).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

Foreign-born United States (U.S.) citizens also need to provide proof of U.S. citizenship, unless U.S. citizenship has previously been established on the SSN record.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

A birth record establishes a fact of birth (i.e., that the person was born) and the legal name at birth. It is not sufficient evidence to establish identity because it does not establish the person’s continued existence. Therefore, SSA does not accept a birth record as an identity document because it is not adequate evidence to show that the person is still alive.

Any document used to establish identity must meet the following criteria:

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the

data on the form SS-5 (e.g., the person's name, as well as age, date

of birth, or parents' names) and/or

-- The document provides information the reviewer can compare with the

applicant (e.g., physical description, photograph).

A non-picture identity document should have the person's name as well as information that can be compared to the SSN record, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth, or parents' names).

Identity evidence must be of recent issuance to establish an individual's continued existence. A recent or current identity document is up to date, unexpired or new. If a document does not have an expiration date, it should have been issued within the past two years.

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application, taking into consideration the applicant's situation and exploring what evidence is available for the person.

You can find detailed information regarding identity evidence on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E

We accept the following documents as conclusive evidence of U.S. citizenship:

-- Form N-550 and N-570 (Certificate of Naturalization)

-- Form N-560 and N-561 (Certificate of Citizenship)

-- Form FS-240 (Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United

States)

-- Form FS-545 (Certification of Birth)

-- Form DS-1350 (Certification of Report of Birth)

-- U.S. Passport (current or expired)

Form SS-5, “Application for a Social Security Card,” is the appropriate form to request a corrected SSN card.

Form SS-5 can be requested by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 or download on the SSA Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

To read and print Form SS-5 at a personal computer, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader. The software is available free of charge from Adobe's Internet server at:

http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html

Complete the Form SS-5 and take it or mail it, along with the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office.

SSA treats an application brought in by someone other than the applicant as a mail-in application; when the applicant has signed the application and provided all appropriate evidence.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

Suggest that the number holder show the corrected card to his or her employer once it is received, so that the employer’s payroll records can be updated.

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

I am the USC and I changed my last name to my husband's. I filled out all the USCIS forms with my married name, but all of the documentation we sent in with our initial packet was in my maiden name. My passport, DL, tax returns, W-2s, etc. Everything except for my employment letter which was in my married name.

By the time of our interview 10 months later, most things were in my married name. We didn't have any problems and my husband was approved. We are now getting ready to remove his conditions.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Timeline

hcj, I have filed everything (AOS) in my maiden name, so will that make things any more difficult?

06-07-05 - Approved

AOS:

Removal of Conditions

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

Naturalization

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

kanyiri,

well you have just mailed your AOS. So yr AOS reads yr maiden name. Now you want yr last name changed to your Husbands.

On receipt of NOA you can send them a letter along with yr marriage certificate and SSN copy requesting to change the name of the petitioner

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline
hcj, I have filed everything (AOS) in my maiden name, so will that make things any more difficult?

Strictly in my personal opinion: I don't think it will make things more difficult. Many people change their names after marriage, and USCIS officers aren't stupid (even though some people might have a different opinion of the organization as a whole :). I believe they will understand that you with your maiden name and you with your married name, are the same person. It might even be beneficial -- taking on your husband's last name is further evidence that you are really married as most people wouldn't go to that trouble if it's just a sham marriage.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Filed: Timeline

hcj,

On the contrary - people involved in sham marriages usually go to great lengths to look like everyone else, to hide their true motives until they get what they want.

Yodrak

.... taking on your husband's last name is further evidence that you are really married as most people wouldn't go to that trouble if it's just a sham marriage.

Timeline

So how would I go about telling the USCIS that I have changed my name?

06-07-05 - Approved

AOS:

Removal of Conditions

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

Naturalization

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.