Florianns Man

Retiring in the Philippines

162 posts in this topic

We are planning to retire there as well God willing in 3 yrs time.

is a serious decision although there are flights going both ways you will need major adjustment to not having steady electric service not having water sometimes different standards in food storage different values on rudeness and the way you are looked at as a foreigner in thier country. I have lived here for a year now and I am ready to go home.

Just before you make a decision to move permanently consider what you value for comforts and familiarity. If you like camping where you can't go home you get along just fine.

Just my personal observations of course ... YMMV

2007-08-21Met through dating site

2007-10-12Hubby's first visit/met me and picked him up in Davao International Airport

2007-10-17Officially engaged to my one and only love hubby & formally proposed in front of my family

2007-10-22Flew back to the US

2008-02-022nd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Cebu International Airport

2008-02-04Went into the US embassy Cebu to get his certificate of legal capacity

2008-02-05Flew back together into Davao City and drove to Tagum City

2008-02-27Our awaited precious moment the WEDDING DAY!!!!

2008-03-04Hubby Flew back to the US

2009-05-013rd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Hong Kong International Airport

2009-05-02We went to Hong Kong disneyland (pretty amazing)

2009-05-03Flew back together into Manila and got his balikbayan visa to stay here with me for one year

2009-12-24First time we celebrate together the Christmas Eve (very much awesome!)

2009-12-31First time we celebrate together the New Years Eve (very much happy)

2010-01-07We celebrate together on his Birthday!

2010-01-15Celebrate together on his cutie wifey Birthday!

2010-01-25Sent I-130

2010-01-27Manila consulate received

2010-03-31I-130 approved(66 days)

2010-04-15NOA2 received

2010-04-22Packet 3 received(YaY)

2010-04-24DS230I & DS2001 Sent

2010-04-26Manila consulate received

2010-05-06Packet 4 received(Yepeyy)

2010-05-26-MEDICAL 7:00am(Passed)

2010-06-17-INTERVIEW 7:00 AM VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Lord !!!

2010-06-19 Recieved passport with visa via Air21 so fastttttt !!

2010-07-16 POE Detroit

2010-07-26 Recieved SS card

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have thought about retiring in the Phils.

Some of the things I have not had time to research or figure out:

1. Medical costs - Medicare does not cover international medical care.

2. If expensive maintenance drugs can be reliably shipped to Manila.

3. If employment at the USEM would help aaleviate the above issues.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

ok...here is a quick question???? are the laws the same for owning property as it is for owning buisnesses where I can only own 10% where the rest would have to be put in either Pams name or a family member? :wacko:

what would I do without the love you give me.

http://www.slide.com/r/OCQnah5Yvj-ae3fW-YNXizAEbWcGzFT1?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

I-129F

09-18-09 I-129F sent Fed-Ex

09-21-09 package was signed for at service center

09-23-06 touched

09-26-09 received NOA1

12-18-09 touched!!!!

12-19-09 got the approval email and text !!!!!

12-21-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 touched!!!!

12-23-09 received NOA2

12-24-09 NVC received approval!!!!!

01-05-10 NVC told me under Additional Processing!!!!!

01-11-10 NVC sent to manila!!!!!

01-15-10 Manila received DHL

01-20-10 Set interview dates for 02-08-2010

01-25-10 Medical - PASSED!!THANK GOD..

02-08-10 Interview- PASSED!!!! PRAISE GOD..

02-11-10 Received VISA!!!!!GOD IS GREAT..

02-23-10 Bye Phil.Welcome USA!!!Be with me GOD

flight Hawaiin Air leaves 7:50pm arrives 11:59pm in Phoenix!!!!

02-23-10 ARRIVED @ PHOENIX...yepeyyyy........

04-16-10 OUR WEDDING....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04-21-10 Applied SSN

04-28-10 SSN Recieved

flag.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

is a serious decision although there are flights going both ways you will need major adjustment to not having steady electric service not having water sometimes different standards in food storage different values on rudeness and the way you are looked at as a foreigner in thier country. I have lived here for a year now and I am ready to go home.

Just before you make a decision to move permanently consider what you value for comforts and familiarity. If you like camping where you can't go home you get along just fine.

Just my personal observations of course ... YMMV

Good advice. :thumbs:

ok...here is a quick question???? are the laws the same for owning property as it is for owning buisnesses where I can only own 10% where the rest would have to be put in either Pams name or a family member? :wacko:

You might get info by reading the Q&A here:

http://www.bcphilipp...hilippines/318/

We are retiring there too!! Tacloban City, Leyte....:dance:

I jumped on the bandwagon too quick! We will retire there if only we have certain conditions met...

1. Our standard of living not taking a step back

2. Medical Care being available since I will be up in age at that time

3. Our finances being able to support us through anything that comes our way

We also have to think about the kids. Mathew was born there, but he was 3 when he arrived here and this is all that he really knows(USA).... Since Ruchie is now pregnant, we have to think about our babies future also.

All this would have to come together before any move would be made. If I am going to struggle, I'd rather it be here than over there. Don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire...:no:

Lots of you people are dreamers which is fine. How much time have you spent in PI?

I considered retiring there but after spending a couple months last year I changed my mind.

For one it's to hot unless you live in a place like Baguio or Tagatay. Baguio has terrible air pollution now tho.

I can't handle living with the AC going 24/7 naman.

One of the main reasons for no longer wanting to live there is my lack of understanding the local language. I like to know what people are talking about especially at social functions like a family party or even just everyday living.

To much rain in Monsoon season also.

Other than living a lot cheaper I can't see ANY reason I'd want to live there permanetly.

Hawaii is MUCH better other than the cost of living which I can handle now.

No medicare doesn't help also.

Having to have someone watch the clothes when they are hung out so they won't get ripped off isn't my style either.

"We" do own 4 houses on 2 lots there. Have or own compound. Our family lives in 3 of them at this time. Other one I built for us.

Hope it works out for those that move there.

DON'T BURN YOUR BRIDGES THO!!! :help:

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Lots of you people are dreamers which is fine. How much time have you spent in PI?

I considered retiring there but after spending a couple months last year I changed my mind.

For one it's to hot unless you live in a place like Baguio or Tagatay. Baguio has terrible air pollution now tho.

One of the main reasons for no longer wanting to live there is my lack of understanding the local language. I like to know what people are talking about especially at social functions like a family party or even just everyday living.

Other than living a lot cheaper I can't see ANY reason I'd want to live there permanetly.

Having to have someone watch the clothes when they are hung out so they won't get ripped off isn't my style either.

"We" do own 4 houses on 2 lots there. Have or own compound. Our family lives in 3 of them at this time. Other one I built for us.

DON'T BURN YOUR BRIDGES THO!!! helpsmilie.gif

Point well made!

Funny you pointed out the clothes, DITTO! I even had the gas sucked out of my bike....blink.gif

For the Dreamer's. If it’s Filipino culture you like so much just move to Hawaii, it's Full of Dakine Brah!

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

DON'T BURN YOUR BRIDGES THO!!! :help:

People have Lot's of reasons for living here and I do know a few ex-pats it suited for but considerations have to be made with a level head, this IS a third world country, chances are you met your lovely wife because she wants to leave here, work opportunities are non existent for a foreigner, property ownership for a foreigner is not possible I don't care what they say law's are made but trust me they are not enforced and that includes discrimination as it is prevalent and abundant. Another consideration is if you are raising kids here the public schools are not up to world standards, face it the government here is in it for the money, where i come from i pay 6% sales tax on everything I buy here in the Philippines I pay 12% but you know what? try calling 911 for a ambulance... you'll die before it gets there, try calling 911 for a cop ha ha you will die before one gets there, want to go to a public park ? there ain't none, having hard times and need temporary food for your family or assistance? wrong place Joe there's nothing here for you.

The bright side of this country is the people, they are cheerful happy people even though 80% of them are poor but if you plan to live here just be aware there will be people at your gate (that's right most all houses have a gate and steel fence surrounding them for good reason) begging for food because the government of this country ignores it's poor even when dining in New York and bragging about a $20.000.00 meal, be prepared in an emergency to have a good amount of cash in your pocket should you need to go to a hospital because if you don't yep you guessed it... you will die and believe me it happens every day here.

2007-08-21Met through dating site

2007-10-12Hubby's first visit/met me and picked him up in Davao International Airport

2007-10-17Officially engaged to my one and only love hubby & formally proposed in front of my family

2007-10-22Flew back to the US

2008-02-022nd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Cebu International Airport

2008-02-04Went into the US embassy Cebu to get his certificate of legal capacity

2008-02-05Flew back together into Davao City and drove to Tagum City

2008-02-27Our awaited precious moment the WEDDING DAY!!!!

2008-03-04Hubby Flew back to the US

2009-05-013rd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Hong Kong International Airport

2009-05-02We went to Hong Kong disneyland (pretty amazing)

2009-05-03Flew back together into Manila and got his balikbayan visa to stay here with me for one year

2009-12-24First time we celebrate together the Christmas Eve (very much awesome!)

2009-12-31First time we celebrate together the New Years Eve (very much happy)

2010-01-07We celebrate together on his Birthday!

2010-01-15Celebrate together on his cutie wifey Birthday!

2010-01-25Sent I-130

2010-01-27Manila consulate received

2010-03-31I-130 approved(66 days)

2010-04-15NOA2 received

2010-04-22Packet 3 received(YaY)

2010-04-24DS230I & DS2001 Sent

2010-04-26Manila consulate received

2010-05-06Packet 4 received(Yepeyy)

2010-05-26-MEDICAL 7:00am(Passed)

2010-06-17-INTERVIEW 7:00 AM VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Lord !!!

2010-06-19 Recieved passport with visa via Air21 so fastttttt !!

2010-07-16 POE Detroit

2010-07-26 Recieved SS card

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

People have Lot's of reasons for living here and I do know a few ex-pats it suited for but considerations have to be made with a level head, this IS a third world country, chances are you met your lovely wife because she wants to leave here, work opportunities are non existent for a foreigner, property ownership for a foreigner is not possible I don't care what they say law's are made but trust me they are not enforced and that includes discrimination as it is prevalent and abundant. Another consideration is if you are raising kids here the public schools are not up to world standards, face it the government here is in it for the money, where i come from i pay 6% sales tax on everything I buy here in the Philippines I pay 12% but you know what? try calling 911 for a ambulance... you'll die before it gets there, try calling 911 for a cop ha ha you will die before one gets there, want to go to a public park ? there ain't none, having hard times and need temporary food for your family or assistance? wrong place Joe there's nothing here for you.

The bright side of this country is the people, they are cheerful happy people even though 80% of them are poor but if you plan to live here just be aware there will be people at your gate (that's right most all houses have a gate and steel fence surrounding them for good reason) begging for food because the government of this country ignores it's poor even when dining in New York and bragging about a $20.000.00 meal, be prepared in an emergency to have a good amount of cash in your pocket should you need to go to a hospital because if you don't yep you guessed it... you will die and believe me it happens every day here.

Well said. :thumbs:

I love the people, food, culture, etc. of the Philippines and I hope that we will visit there for extended periods of time throughout our life, but I'm willing to bet that after a couple of months even my wife will be ready to come back home to the good 'ol US of A.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think using the word PARADISE to describe the RP is not a realistic way to describe it at all. It all depends on where a person chooses to live and I have literally been all over the entire country, and lived in 2 different places. I have yet to find this paradise some people use to describe it. What I did find is a place where the cost of housing, transportation and medical is more affordable. As far as the cost of living being cheaper goes? Other than these 3 things, I guess it depends on how a person chooses to live. I have found if I want to live what I would consider a normal middleclass American lifestyle then the cost are not that much different and in some cases more expensive in the RP. If a person is willing to change how they would normally live in America and adopt more of a Pinoy mindset of doing with less, then the RP can be a great place. Living like a king in the RP is like living a middleclass lifestyle here in the U.S.A. and the cost are not greatly different based off my experience. I have had great medical care in the RP and I have also had terrible medical care. I spent 4 days in the Asian hospital in Alabang. I blew a disc in my lower back and pinched the sciatic nerve so bad I couldn't get off the ground and was taken by ambulance. The neurosurgeon that did the medical procedure was top notch and I walked out of the hospital 4 days later. I still had more major surgery done in the states the next month, but this Pinoy doctor got me mobile again. On the other hand medical care in the province can range from bad to mid-evil. If I would have had this situation happen to me in the visayas where I built our house, I would have been in REAL big trouble.

The thing that makes the RP attractive for me is being able to live with less, but still being able to be happy doing it. The unattractive things for me are of course the same things alot of Filipino's also don't like which are: the corruption, the crab-mentality, and the extreme poverty of others.

Eventhough I am 33, actually I have been planning on retiring to the RP for the last couple of years. I met my wife when I was an expat and we built a house together over there on some land her dad gave us, before we even got married. Trust was never an issue for our situation. At the time it was a popular belief amongst expats that K-1 was the best route to go, so we waited to get married until here in the U.S.A. We have operated several different types of businesses there from Jeepney's and boarding houses to all sorts of farming and livestock trucking. I have worked in the oil industry my entire life thus far and will recieve a good pension, but a plan B of making the move to the RP before that time has always been in the works. My dream is not retiring to the RP, my dream is retiring to the RP still a young man. Many have tried this and failed but I know a handful that planned well and are succeeding. If a person can live atleast 40% pinoy style it makes it much easier. Like another poster stated you also need to get your mind right. A two week to two month visit is nothing like the six months of isolation province living can make you feel. I speak Bisaya and have a great relationship with my wifes immediate family, but I still miss American conversation while there. I once drove an hour in the rain on my motorbike just to have coffee with a retired American living in the RP. I didn't even really like this paticular guy that much, but he could provide me with the commrodary my inlaws can't. Loneliness can happened to you even if your surrounded by people in the RP. The feeling of isolation I have been through in the RP has made it so much easier for me to identify with what my wife has had to go through adjusting to life in the U.S.A.

An American cannot own land in the Philippines. There is some discussion on whether once the Filipino spouse dies if the ownership can be transfered to the American spouse, but I wouldn't ever count on that being the case even if there is a law stating it. As far as business I would never put anything in my name as American owner even if I could. The corruption makes running a business in the RP hard enough, why would anyone ever want to draw more attention to themselves? Basically what I am saying is: is that it takes absolute trust in your spouse and her immediate family to do anything concrete in the RP.

This is just my 2 cents, and only an opinion and like previously stated I am not an expert and don't pretend to be.

Wyatt

"The Brazos still runs muddy like she's run all along, there ain't never been no cane to grind, the cottons all but gone." R.E.K

Filed I-129F petition on Oct. 27th 2008
NOA1 Nov. 2008
NOA2 March 27th 2009
VSC sent notice that petition forwared to Manila on April 10th
Letter Finally recieved April 24th
June 10th interview date
Passed medical on May 26th (But, not allowed to get vaccinations)
June 10th Pink slip recieved (Yeee-hawww!!!) Consul interview lasted 5 min.
CFO- Completed in Cebu
POE-(LAX, Flew into together on July 17th, took only 5 min.)
Married August 11th (Now the AOS journey begins)

AOS
Recieved Packet Oct. 6th
Recieved NOA AOS, EAD, AP Oct. 17th.
Recieved Biometrics Appointment letter Oct. 23rd
Biometrics Appointment Nov. 2nd.
Advanced Parole approved Nov. 23rd
EAD Work Authorization received Dec. 6th
Permanent Resident Card and Welcome letter received Dec. 15th

96a46edb-2d4b-4f9c-98ae-240883a49565.jpg

Yes.......... We are going to retire there as well Somewhere either in the Butuan City Area or Cebu

Always and Forever

Ronald & Elvira Williams and Ronny Jr.

Yes.......... We are going to retire there as well Somewhere either in the Butuan City Area or Cebu

Hopefully the MILF hasn't taken over Butuan by the time you retire.

The way things are going. Mindanao isn't looking to good for puti in the future.

Other places like Cotobato are already history.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Leaving for Butuan again next Saturday. It has seemed safe to me. I don't think I would want to retire there though. Don't think I could deal with the daily power brown outs.

I wouldn't mind having a vacation house in the Philippines but not sure about retiring there. I work with a lot of Filipinos and none of them has expressed a desire to retire there.

But who knows. May change my mind when the time comes.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.