AviatorD

Help with I-131 that's with the I-485 packet

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all, My wife and I are filling out the I-485 packet for adjustment of status. We were married early February of this year. She's from Germany and I'm a US citizen. I'm having trouble with this packet. I have read the instructions from this site and several others about filling out this packet, but I guess my question is too specific to search an answer for on the internet.

I have two question regarding the I-131 (Application for Travel Document) form.

1. On Part1. question 3, it says "Class of Admission," I have no clue as to what that means or what they are referring to.

2. My second question is if I can file for advance parole because in the instruction sheet for I-131, I have to state why we need advanced parole. And the reason I am filling for "Advanced Parole" is so that my wife can travel back to Germany to visit friends and especially her family, and still be allowed to come back to USA while the I-485 packet (Adjustment of Status) is pending. So is this a legitimate reason to apply for advanced parole.

Much help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Derek-

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your class of admission would be K-1, etc., whichever visa was obtained to come to the U.S.

Your reason for wanting AP can be just as simple as you have stated. There doesn't have to be a serious reason for wanting AP.... visiting family and friends is good enough. If you don't have a specific date, just put date unknown or give a date if you do know one.

Good luck.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Your class of admission would be K-1, etc., whichever visa was obtained to come to the U.S.

Your reason for wanting AP can be just as simple as you have stated. There doesn't have to be a serious reason for wanting AP.... visiting family and friends is good enough. If you don't have a specific date, just put date unknown or give a date if you do know one.

Good luck.

Hey Thanks raymaga. On the Class of Admission, my wife entered without a K-1 visa. She entered in the USA without any visa because Germany is under the visa waiver program. So should I put "Visitor" for Class of Admission box? Thanks again

-Derek-

Hey Thanks raymaga. On the Class of Admission, my wife entered without a K-1 visa. She entered in the USA without any visa because Germany is under the visa waiver program. So should I put "Visitor" for Class of Admission box? Thanks again

-Derek-

The form contains a stiff rebuke only to ward off potential abuse,

but in practice any reasonable request for travel can't be denied

if applied for according to the rules.

I opened my I-131 form and confirmed that this will fit in the box:

"VWP tourist (Germany)"

That should be sufficient.

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

The form contains a stiff rebuke only to ward off potential abuse,

but in practice any reasonable request for travel can't be denied

if applied for according to the rules.

I opened my I-131 form and confirmed that this will fit in the box:

"VWP tourist (Germany)"

That should be sufficient.

hey thongd4me,

Thanks for the help. I also have another question. It's for the I-131 and it's about part 7. Me and my wife want to make sure she is accepted for advanced parole before she leaves USA to visit her family in Germany, so do we not answer question 2 and 3 of part 7? I am understanding part7 to mean that she will be told where to pick up her advanced parole in her home country (germany). Is that correct?

But we want to make sure she is approved for advanced parole even before she leaves to visit her home country. So with that in mind, should we or should we not fill out part7. Thanks for all the help

-Derek-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.