starlette

Dual citizenship + travel + visa issue... please help!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone... I am basically a newbie when it comes to travelling to third countries as a dual citizen. I've read through some similar threads, but have not figured out any answers to questions relating to my own situation. Hope some posters will be able to help me out.

So here goes:

I am a dual citizen of the UK and Philippines, currently residing in Singapore. I hold passports from both countries, but my Singapore work pass is linked to my Philippine passport. I am planning to visit the US to attend a friend's wedding this year, and was wondering whether I would be eligible to use my British passport and the Visa Waiver program.

I have always used my British passport in Europe, and my Philippine passport in Asia. I know the US is possibly one of the trickiest when it comes to immigration policies, so I just wanted to make sure all my plans are aboveboard. In the past, I have travelled to the US on the Philippine passport but my visa expired in 2009.

I was considering travelling on my British passport because of the convenience provided by the Visa Waiver Program, but I'm worried that since I have entered on a different passport before, it may cause some confusion. Is this really a problem? How should I go about check-in / immigration?

I also JUST realized that I have an old I-94 stapled to the Philippine passport I used to enter the US in 2004!!!! Will this affect my use of the Visa Waiver Program in any way? If I send it in to the London, Kentucky address given on US embassy websites, should everything be ok???

I feel like I suddenly have more cause for worry.

I'd really appreciate some comments if anyone on the board has had similar experiences.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Use the British Passport and VWP.

You need to complete ESTA first.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Timeline

Use the British Passport and VWP.

You need to complete ESTA first.

Thanks for the quick reply... so far that's the plan. But what of the I-94 and the record of my past travel? Entering on a different passport isn't wrong right? After all I am a legal dual citizen of the Uk and Philippines

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can send it in to the place in Kentucky, however...i would make a few copies of it because you never know if it will get there or not...

maybe even best to send in a copy to the office in kentucky and keep the original one just in case...

But do make sure you make a few copies of it...not just 1...make like 4 because it can save you alot of hassle in the future...

But anyways...the British passport is good for travel on the VWP so use that...but bring your philipine one aswell that has the i-94 because usually biometric information is the same no matter what the passport unless someone else was born with your exact same name on the same day etc, etc....get my drift???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.