frangipani

Wrong Alien Number in I-551 ???

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi,

I just got approved at the interview and the IO stamped I-551 on my passport because I am going back to my country next week. At home when I checked again, I noticed that the A# on I-551 is different than my A#. It's just one number wrong. So i am worried now if she wrote the wrong A# on my I-551?

What should I do? Will I get problem at the airport immigration?

Please help i am panicking!!!! :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That does sound like it could cause a problem. Make an InfoPass appointment at the local USCIS office where you did the interview. They should let you make an appointment to go down there, and get the passport notation and (more importantly) the computer notes that CBP sees when they swipe your passport corrected and properly annotated.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline
That does sound like it could cause a problem. Make an InfoPass appointment at the local USCIS office where you did the interview. They should let you make an appointment to go down there, and get the passport notation and (more importantly) the computer notes that CBP sees when they swipe your passport corrected and properly annotated.

Thanks! Is infopass better than calling National Service Center?

Timeline
Thanks! Is infopass better than calling National Service Center?

FAR better. NSC is under/non-trained phone droids who know far less about immigration than anyone who has actually done this themselves. If you ask them the same question twice you'll get three different answers, 2 of which will be wrong and the third of which will be ridiculously incomplete :). InfoPass, on the other hand, is a face to face meeting with an actual immigration officer at your local USCIS field office, who actually has the power to make meaningful decisions and fix things.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

I already made appointment with infopass! Oh I don't like going back to that building again!!! Getting to speak with IO is like a box of chocolate. You never know what you're gonna get :unsure:

I'd like to know others experience who get I-551 stamp on their passports. Is it indeed supposed to be your A number there? the same Alien registration number?

Timeline

I had to get the I-551 stamp when I didn't receive the NOA1 for Removing the Conditions on my green card. Looking at the stamp it has my A number written above the stamp - it is the same A number I have had all the way through the process. The issue date and extension date are in the stamp and then below the stamp is my case number written out, the application type and filing date, plus the date of my original green card issuance.

I think it is a good idea to get the different A number issue sorted out before you leave. An Infopass is the best as they can correct the information and make sure you have the correct A number. They can't do that over the phone, even if the Mis-Information line was of any use (it's not).

Good luck, and have a good trip.

Also - I've removed the duplicate thread since all of your answers are in this one.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Ok, i finally went to infopass appointment this morning. The IO whom I talked to about this case was a very nice person. I explained my concern about the different Alien number on my I-551. He looked at my passport and he said yes this is wrong. He was also surprised I was not given notice paper right after the interview that stated my green card application was approved. Apparently the IO who interviewed me made some mistake. Oh that is another story about her and my interview (I will write on CIS office review).

Then he took my passport, asked me to wait while he sorted it out. He put another stamp on my wrong stamp that said "Cancelled Without Prejudice" and put a new stamp with the right A number. I could not thank him enough!!!! I was so happy.

So my advice here is: always check your stamp (if you got I-551 stamp) before you get out of the interview room and make sure they write your A# right.

Timeline

Good to hear :)

Enjoy your trip!

DON'T PANIC

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.