Blitz

Consular Report of Birth Abroad Help!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm freaking out! I haven't been on here in awhile b/c I had my 2nd baby 3 weeks ago (a boy!) and my husband is currently in the US with our daughter. My interview in Montreal is March 18. We don't have the kids' consular report of birth abroad (CRBA) certificates yet, and we were planning to get those after my interview. I had read on here that I didn't need to have my children's CRBA to show in order to get my immigrant VISA, but now I read a thread that made it sound like I do!??!??! But I don't know if it's even possible to get it done before March 18! Help!

Timeline
I'm freaking out! I haven't been on here in awhile b/c I had my 2nd baby 3 weeks ago (a boy!) and my husband is currently in the US with our daughter. My interview in Montreal is March 18. We don't have the kids' consular report of birth abroad (CRBA) certificates yet, and we were planning to get those after my interview. I had read on here that I didn't need to have my children's CRBA to show in order to get my immigrant VISA, but now I read a thread that made it sound like I do!??!??! But I don't know if it's even possible to get it done before March 18! Help!

Hi,

Congratulations!!

I don't know what thread you were reading, but no, you can certainly do it afterwards if you like.

Edited by trailmix

Hi,

Congratulations!!

I don't know what thread you were reading, but no, you can certainly do it afterwards if you like.

I have to disagree with you trailmix, I just had my interview in Feb 8th and they wont give me my visa until I get Amelia's CRBA, its caused a huge financial issue as well as heartache. Get it done!! At least go to the CRBA interview, you have to take your children with, and you need one interview per child.

If they have all the required information at the interview, but you do not recieve the cert's in time, the MTL consulate CAN call the consulate you get the CRBA's at, and cofirm that it is in the works.

I was given the same wrong information, and now I have to wait at least 2 more months before my family can be re-united.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Yes I remember reading your thread now. I think this is a bit odd. Since the child is an American, does it not seem odd to you that they want a CRBA before issuing a Canadian a U.S. visa?

But no matter, yes, if it could possibly cause a hassle it is worthwhile to get it, or at least apply for it in advance. However if they don't mention it Blitz, I certainly would not.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

We did ours when we filed the I-130. We made the deadline (May 2009) for CRBA without appointments, AND it almost didn't happen! When I prepared the paperwork for CRBA, it said filing for a SSN could be done at a later date (so didn't do it). When we arrived at the consulate, they said, "where is the SSN form?" Turns out THEY required we file for CRBA and SSN together. Thankfully, I had everything necessary with us to complete it.

At least one thing we appear to have done correctly. <sigh>

K

DCF Timeline (approximate):

submitted I-130 May 2009

received approval June 2009

submitted DS-230 and checklist July 2009

interview Nov 4, 2009 (IR-1, 221g refusal, domicile)

submitted additional domicile proof December 15, 2009

Received IR-1 Visa Approval: February 26, 2010

Sidelined: emergency surgery!

Anticipated POE date: May 19, 2010

Yes I remember reading your thread now. I think this is a bit odd. Since the child is an American, does it not seem odd to you that they want a CRBA before issuing a Canadian a U.S. visa?

But no matter, yes, if it could possibly cause a hassle it is worthwhile to get it, or at least apply for it in advance. However if they don't mention it Blitz, I certainly would not.

The consular official who did my interview told me, that even though Amelia is American, it needs to be documented first. Otherwise, they could turn me away at POE because I have an immigrant visa, hubby is US CIT and she is still technically canadian... which makes her an illegal undocumented citizen in the US. (Its really wierd and very frustrating, as I didnt see this coming either). It makes sense to me after it was explained in this manner.

Kinda left me standing in the booth going "wha????" and its even more frustrating for me, because the US consulate in Van is closed until 1st March because of the olympics :(

Anyway, to anyone with kids born in canada going through IR/CR.. GET CRBA!!!!!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Well, I do understand that it has to be done before you take the child to the U.S. - I just think it was a bit 'big brother-ish' of the CO to hold your visa while you do this - if you know what I mean. It's really none of their business when you get your child a CRBA.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i wouldnt worry too much, it only took us 2 weeks to get our sons CRBA, now getting the appt. is another thing, but we booked our appt. about 2 weeks before just for traveling arrangements. we didnt have to have anything for his SSN, matter of fact we didnt apply for that until about 4 months after we got the CRBA. It all went very smoothly for us, only problem we had was waiting cuz we got there two hours b4 they opened. Only things we needed to bring was myself, my birth cert., paternity tests, passport, proof of domicile and last 5 years worth of w2's for evidence of support, 150 US dollars, and of course all the requested documents for our son.

.... I just checked Torontos consulate and they have appt. openings on the 26th of this month so you shouldnt have to wait too long for an appt date ( not sure what consulate you are using tho )

Edited by chrisNmanda

Our current timeline:

Met online Oct 2004

Met in person June 2006

Engaged Oct 2007

Son born Leap day 2008

Birth Abroad applied for in Toronto, ON Sept 9th 2009

Birth Abroad Certificate received Sept 24th 2009

I-129F submitted October 21st 2009

NOA1 received October 26th 2009

NOA2 received February 2nd 2010

NVC received February 19th 2010

left NVC February 22nd 2010

consulate received February 23rd 2010 ( wow 1 day !?!? )

Packet 3 received March 4th 2010

getting packet 3 ready.....

I think the OP is in Calgary, not sure how busy that consulate is, but I just PM'd her everything she is going to need, and sent a link to the site that she can book appt's on. There is time for her to do it.

And yes trailmix, I thought holding my visa hostage is a bit too much as well, but ultimately I suppose its my fault. I should have done it a long time ago, Amelia is 2 and a half years old after all...

Hope all goes well though!! I have the evidence they asked for and MOUNDS more :) gonna let them sort though it all.

Have a good night all!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Yeeesh. I'm now hoping the wife is late a bit so that we don't have to go through this. Takes a month roughly to get a birth certificate in Ontario, was planning on getting the CRBA but our interview is so close to the birth... If they refuse to give us a visa what do they need to do, schedule another interview or can you just mail in confirmation that everything is complete?

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2009-05-09

I-130 Sent : 2009-05-26

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-06-03

I-130 Approved : 2009-08-21

NVC Received : 2009-09-01

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-09-09

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-09-09

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-09-15

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-09-13

Receive IV Bill : 2009-09-24

Pay IV Bill : 2009-09-25

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-11-06

Consulate Received : 2009-11-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10-16

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-22

Interview Date : 2010-03-11

Interview Result : Approved

Timeline
Yeeesh. I'm now hoping the wife is late a bit so that we don't have to go through this. Takes a month roughly to get a birth certificate in Ontario, was planning on getting the CRBA but our interview is so close to the birth... If they refuse to give us a visa what do they need to do, schedule another interview or can you just mail in confirmation that everything is complete?

You won't need to have another interview, just need to mail in the information when you have it.

I don't know where your wife lives, but you might want to get that package together for the report of birth abroad. That way if she does have the baby a few days before the interview date you could perhaps at least file for it before she goes to the interview, might save you several weeks of waiting because Montreal is horribly slow with processing documents sent in after the interview. One would hope if you had your receipt and proof of filing that that would suffice for the interview!

Now obviously, as you mention, the birth certificate is something you will need to file for the CRBA, however if you explain your situation to them they might still accept your application pending receiving the birth certificate, I know they did this with my passport application.

Info on what you need is here:

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.asp

Actually, Im not sure what Ontario has, but here in BC we have "proof of live registration of birth". The US consulate will not take a birth certificate, check with your local consulate as each province calls the live registration something else.. HOWEVER, this helps you a little bit, because its easier to get that post birth than a birth certificate. Its just a vital statistics copy of the registration of your babies birth. It will have your handwriting on it.

I agree with trailmix 100% get everying that you can together before baby is born. Things like high school transcripts. W-2's and all that jazz. Just a quick note on that... all notarized documents cannot be notarized more than 3 months before the CRBA appt, so dont do that too early.

Good luck with new baby!!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Thanks for the pointers - the Toronto consulate (closest one to her) indicates you've got to have a full birth certificate or no dice.

That said maybe they'll have some mercy on us? Not counting on it, so far Montreal has not really been very flexible (read: two attempts to get the pregnancy put into consideration previous to our date getting scheduled).

Edited by kballtex

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2009-05-09

I-130 Sent : 2009-05-26

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-06-03

I-130 Approved : 2009-08-21

NVC Received : 2009-09-01

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-09-09

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-09-09

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-09-15

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-09-13

Receive IV Bill : 2009-09-24

Pay IV Bill : 2009-09-25

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-11-06

Consulate Received : 2009-11-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10-16

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-22

Interview Date : 2010-03-11

Interview Result : Approved

Timeline
i wouldnt worry too much, it only took us 2 weeks to get our sons CRBA, now getting the appt. is another thing, but we booked our appt. about 2 weeks before just for traveling arrangements. we didnt have to have anything for his SSN, matter of fact we didnt apply for that until about 4 months after we got the CRBA. It all went very smoothly for us, only problem we had was waiting cuz we got there two hours b4 they opened. Only things we needed to bring was myself, my birth cert., paternity tests, passport, proof of domicile and last 5 years worth of w2's for evidence of support, 150 US dollars, and of course all the requested documents for our son.

.... I just checked Torontos consulate and they have appt. openings on the 26th of this month so you shouldnt have to wait too long for an appt date ( not sure what consulate you are using tho )

ChrisNmanda - you needed to have paternity tests? Oh goodness, we certainly don't have that, but isn't his name on the birth cert/reg of live birth enough?

And what if my husband has lived in Canada for 10 years up until last year? We can provide his high school and college transcripts, to show that he was indeed domicile, but we don't have W2s.

Also, you have to provide proof of evidence of financial support for the CRBA? I didn't think that was necessary.

Yikes.

I think the OP is in Calgary, not sure how busy that consulate is, but I just PM'd her everything she is going to need, and sent a link to the site that she can book appt's on. There is time for her to do it.

And yes trailmix, I thought holding my visa hostage is a bit too much as well, but ultimately I suppose its my fault. I should have done it a long time ago, Amelia is 2 and a half years old after all...

Hope all goes well though!! I have the evidence they asked for and MOUNDS more :) gonna let them sort though it all.

Have a good night all!

Thank you so much! I will go read your message now.

and my husband is currently in the US with our daughter.

Your husband could go in and apply for your daughters US passport if they are in the US. You don't need a certificate of birth abroad but I guess he would still need her birth certificate. Never mind that won't help you.

I still don't have a birth abroad for my son born in the Canada. My husband and I just went into the passport office in the US and applied for his US passport. It came really quick and then I just took my sons' passport with me to the interview in Montreal. I believe they did ask about our son and I had to show his US passport for proof.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.