RosaMystica7

Money to be making: what should be my minimum?

14 posts in this topic

My current job doesn't pay enough for me to support my fiance, but I needed something to transition me out of my being-home-sick-for-months-on-end period. It pays $16,380/year before taxes, and according to this I'm under that limit like I knew I would be.

I'd like my next job to be a keeper... 1 transition job is enough for me. ;) I'd like to go into this visa process comfortably knowing that if we can't find a co-sponsor we should be fine, considering we have very few people that we can ask about co-sponsorship. It's just the two of us, so 125% of the 2006 poverty guidelines is $16,500/year. How much over that should I be making to be comfortable about being his sponsor? I can't work more than 40 hours/week and I have no college degree (yet), so I can't expect anything too high. I was thinking $10/hr minimum, which would be $20,800/year... would that be good enough? Or should $11/hr, $22,880/year, be my minimum goal? I mean, sure I'll take the highest that I can get in a job that I'll still at least somewhat enjoy, but when the "what is the minimum salary you'll work for" question pops up, I don't want to be thinking about it and then say something that I find out later is too low.

I also need to go look at current apartment rents in the area to get an idea of how much that is, so I can work out what I'll need to support us and have enough left over for other things we might need. What do they say is the best way to go - is it rent being 1/3 or 1/2 of your salary, and are other bills included in that? I've never owned an apartment before. :blush:

But anyway, I wanted to get your opinions from a visa sponsoring, and supporting us til he can work, standpoint. :)

Edited by aselano

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

The more money you make, the better. However, if you meet the minimum, then you will be ok insofar as approval.

What is "comfortable" for you is lifestyle dependent.

The typical standard for housing expense should not exceed 40% of your total income (Gross - before tax).

My current job doesn't pay enough for me to support my fiance, but I needed something to transition me out of my being-home-sick-for-months-on-end period. It pays $16,380/year before taxes, and according to this I'm under that limit like I knew I would be.

I'd like my next job to be a keeper... 1 transition job is enough for me. ;) I'd like to go into this visa process comfortably knowing that if we can't find a co-sponsor we should be fine, considering we have very few people that we can ask about co-sponsorship. It's just the two of us, so 125% of the 2006 poverty guidelines is $16,500/year. How much over that should I be making to be comfortable about being his sponsor? I can't work more than 40 hours/week and I have no college degree (yet), so I can't expect anything too high. I was thinking $10/hr minimum, which would be $20,800/year... would that be good enough? Or should $11/hr, $22,880/year, be my minimum goal? I mean, sure I'll take the highest that I can get in a job that I'll still at least somewhat enjoy, but when the "what is the minimum salary you'll work for" question pops up, I don't want to be thinking about it and then say something that I find out later is too low.

I also need to go look at current apartment rents in the area to get an idea of how much that is, so I can work out what I'll need to support us and have enough left over for other things we might need. What do they say is the best way to go - is it rent being 1/3 or 1/2 of your salary, and are other bills included in that? I've never owned an apartment before. :blush:

But anyway, I wanted to get your opinions from a visa sponsoring, and supporting us til he can work, standpoint. :)

Edited by William33

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, if you want numbers, here is what FNMA says...

The standard used by lenders for a mortgage is 28% of your after tax income.

For total indebtedness, use 36% of your after tax income. Total indebtedness means car payment, credit cards etc. It doesn't include utilities.

If you conduct your finances in this conservative manner, you should be able to pay your utilities, eat, put gas in your car (maybe lol) and have a bit for saving and pocket money.

If you make 125% of the poverty limit you are fine. The actual guideline for the I-134 is 100% - you will need 125% when he AOS's and you file the I-864.

Hmm, okay. My mom's been handling my car payments so I have to get in on that, what's due and when. I don't have a credit card and, to be honest, I think it may be safe for me to keep it that way. I'll get one "for real emergencies" just because it sounds like a good thing to do but... the women in my family have a medical history of high credit card bills and I'd rather not catch it from them! I also have to start looking through the papers and see what decent apartments go for. Thanks for the numbers, I'll be able to play around with them once I put all of this together. :)

Hmm... so as far as getting approved, I actually only have to be making $13,200/year by the time of his interview? That's absurd, that's, like, $1100/month... that's what some apartments GO for around here. I'll probably be able to find a decent one around $800/month, but still, that'd be $300/month left over before taxes. Yeah right. I mean, I guess some guy in Paris wouldn't know about the cost of living in New York, but wow... it's called poverty level for a reason, and I can't believe they would approve me as his sole sponsor if I made only that. :blink:

So since most receptionist jobs go for $10/hr and up, and I plan on working 40 hours/week, I guess I don't have to worry about the minimum for me to accept in a job? Well, visa wise, anyway... I still have to do my research about rents and stuff. :thumbs:

8/10/08:

---seperated---

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

Filed: Timeline

I don't have any advice, not being a homeowner myself...

But I do need to ask, how on earth can you live in L.I. on $10 an hour???? I lived in a syudio in Manhattan for 5 years & my rent was insane. There was no way I could've survived on that amount of money, let alone for 2 of us!

I don't have any advice, not being a homeowner myself...

But I do need to ask, how on earth can you live in L.I. on $10 an hour???? I lived in a syudio in Manhattan for 5 years & my rent was insane. There was no way I could've survived on that amount of money, let alone for 2 of us!

I have no clue - that's what I still need to look into. I've been living in my parents' house my whole life. Last time I looked, decent apartments out here were going for around $800/month. That was a few months ago, and I live in Suffolk County - the one the furthest away from the city.

I was curious about the visa requirements first... I thought it was 125% the poverty guidelines now, not at the AOS, and I assumed that I'd need to be making a reasonable amount over it. So first I wanted to figure out my minimum needed visa wise, then I wanted to research cost of living, and then I wanted to put the two together and see what I got.

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Can you get a co sponsor?

Most likely, no. We have two people that we can ask, and they most likely won't but we'll ask anyway. His family doesn't talk to him (most of them are French citizens anyway), most of mine doesn't talk to me either, and my parents and siblings already said no before I even completed my sentence. So that's why I'd like to make sure I can get by as far as being his sole sponsor for the visa.

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Most likely, no. We have two people that we can ask, and they most likely won't but we'll ask anyway. His family doesn't talk to him (most of them are French citizens anyway), most of mine doesn't talk to me either, and my parents and siblings already said no before I even completed my sentence. So that's why I'd like to make sure I can get by as far as being his sole sponsor for the visa.

Oh, I'm sorry I just thought I would ask. Sorry I wasn't trying to be nosy I was just trying to help.

Good luck to you !

Oh, I'm sorry I just thought I would ask. Sorry I wasn't trying to be nosy I was just trying to help.

Good luck to you !

Hey, nosy is good, because people here have picked up on things and told me the hurtful truth when I needed to hear it... and didn't want to. I mean, I wanted to apply for this visa in January and was getting ready to... good thing I didn't, because with sickness and other problems I wasn't able to start looking for a job until June. What would've happened if people here hadn't been nosy and convinced me to hold off on applying. :wacko: That's why I'm trying to be so careful and make sure all my bases are covered this time around!

I wish we could get a co-sponsor... then all I'd have to worry about is watching rent prices and making sure I could reasonably support us both. But I've also got that "will they approve us without a co-sponsor" worry to try to kill. *sigh* The worries seem like they're endless with this visa process.

Anywho. Your attempt to help is much appreciated! :yes:

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well here's a question I have. I know that through Morocco you're supposed to show your tax transcripts for the past 3 years, and the most recent year has to be at or above the povevrty level.

I don't know how it works in France but I assume they will want to see your tax transcripts showing that in the past year you have made more than the required amount.

I am not trying to freak you out and I hope someone can help you more on this part because like I said that's just what they require in Morocco, however, they never looked at out I-134.

Good luck,

Sarah

One thing you may want to consider is relocating to an area, that has lower housing expenses.

If I were just starting out, the last place I would want to be is in a "high rent district".

Just a thought.

In any case, good luck to you guys.

another suggestion, sorry not trying to put you down at all or anything. just my opinion, take it for whats its worthe. An please understand i am not putting you down at all. Just advice being you are asking for some. Doing this k1 proccess takes a big big commitment, almost as much as having a child, in my opinion. If you are living at your mom's house (nothing wrong with that), having your mom pay your car payments (nothing wrong with that). One may have to ask themselves are you ready to support someone? You say i am not supporting him , he will get a job, BUT your fiance is your responsiblity while here in USA. Hope you understand what i am saying. If you dont have any big commitments here in the USA, which that appears to be the case, why not go to France and be with him there? Please understand just my opinion and wish you the best of luck with everything. Love has no boundries i fully understand that.

Good luck to you !

Hey, nosy is good, because people here have picked up on things and told me the hurtful truth when I needed to hear it... and didn't want to. I mean, I wanted to apply for this visa in January and was getting ready to... good thing I didn't, because with sickness and other problems I wasn't able to start looking for a job until June. What would've happened if people here hadn't been nosy and convinced me to hold off on applying. :wacko: That's why I'm trying to be so careful and make sure all my bases are covered this time around!

I wish we could get a co-sponsor... then all I'd have to worry about is watching rent prices and making sure I could reasonably support us both. But I've also got that "will they approve us without a co-sponsor" worry to try to kill. *sigh* The worries seem like they're endless with this visa process.

Anywho. Your attempt to help is much appreciated! :yes:

K1

04/11/2006--sent i-129f

10/19/2006--fiance arrived USA

11/20/2006--Married

AOS

12/15/06-- noa1

01/12/07-- rfe

01/24/07-- 485 transferred to CA

02/03/07-- Biometrics

03/02/07-- welcome letter sent

03/09/07-- snail mail welcome letter received

03/16/07-- card production message received

03/21/07-- approval notice sent

03/23/07-- resident card in hand

Remove Conditions

1/12/09--noa1

2/04/09--Biometrics

6/05/09--Approval notice received in mail

6/28/09-- 10 year card received in the mail

Filed: Timeline
I have no clue - that's what I still need to look into. I've been living in my parents' house my whole life. Last time I looked, decent apartments out here were going for around $800/month. That was a few months ago, and I live in Suffolk County - the one the furthest away from the city.

I was curious about the visa requirements first... I thought it was 125% the poverty guidelines now, not at the AOS, and I assumed that I'd need to be making a reasonable amount over it. So first I wanted to figure out my minimum needed visa wise, then I wanted to research cost of living, and then I wanted to put the two together and see what I got.

I would def. do your research. $800/mo + bills on $20K a year leave almost nothing. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.