Cheg

Visa Waiver Program.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Okay, i live in England, so am eligable for the VWP. I have been in America for 10 days this year, and was planning on using up the last 80. My question is: Are the 90 free days im allowed in America, per year? Or per lifetime? Or how does it work? Do i get 90 new days come january first of the new year? All the government sites dont go into detail about this, wondering if anyone here knew.

The 90 days you are allowed on the VWP are per visit... that is the longest time you are allowed to remain in the USA on any one visit.....

The more visits you make to the States the more chance you will have of being asked more in-depth questions about your visit... and run the risk of being refused entry...The Customs and Border Protection Officers work on the idea that everytime you enter the States you have intent to immigrate.... it is up to you to prove you have strong ties to your home country....

As you have not said what the purpose of your visit is I cant tell you anything else that could be of help....

Kezzie

The VWP was developed to cut down paperwork and processing between reciprocating freindly countries and the USA. So it is used instead of applying through the embassy for a processed visa it is intended for use by visitors/tourist/business folk.

As stated the maximum allowable on any one visit is 90 days (I personally always left day 88/89 to allow for any delays) there is no restriction on the number of times you can use the VWP but as stated the more often you use it the more suspicious immigration at POE may become of your intent. But as I discovered if you stay for more than or close to six months in any 12 month period (not claendar year) then it raises MASSIVE flags with immigration (think about it you would then be living more than six months in USA instead of UK so hard to claim residence in the smaller portion country)

With what you have said the day days makes a further trip appear no problem (but do look at last 12 months not just this year) but as also stated any trip is always at the discretion or suspicions of the officer who examines you at entry.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

You may want to have proof that you intend to return to the UK at the POE. I'm not just talking about a return ticket (how many half-used tickets are there floating around out there) but some sort of rental agreement or proof of mortgage to show you have a place to return to, letter from your employer stating what date they expect you to return to work. Without those, you might still get in, but you run an even bigger risk of being denied entry.

Well, the plan is:

I go over on a 90 day VWP visit - for tourism, wink wink.

During that visit, we send the k1 application to be processed.

I come home after 90 days, the interview for me (if accepted), wouldnt be too far away, and then i can come back, with the K1, for 90 days, and we can show our love for each other and get married.

But, the problem with the ties: I gave up my job to do this, and i'm 19, so live at home. What sort of ties to home could i use?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would definitely not lie to the Border officers about the reason for your trip. Tell them you are visiting your girlfriend and that you intend to return to your home country after your visit. Make sure you have proof of ties to your home country such as your most recent pay stubs and mortgage/lease documents. If you are caught lying to the Border officers, you will make your life a living hell. The one thing they don't tolerate is lies because it makes them suspicious about what else you might be lying about.

Good luck.

Well, the plan is:

I go over on a 90 day VWP visit - for tourism, wink wink.

During that visit, we send the k1 application to be processed.

I come home after 90 days, the interview for me (if accepted), wouldnt be too far away, and then i can come back, with the K1, for 90 days, and we can show our love for each other and get married.

But, the problem with the ties: I gave up my job to do this, and i'm 19, so live at home. What sort of ties to home could i use?

If you do not have a job, that may be a definite red flag that you are intending to stay in the U.S. And the fact that you live with your parents isn't good for entry purposes either because to the Customs Officer, you really have no reason to return to your home country.

That is not to say that you will be denied entry, but you should definitely be prepared for it until you have your K-1 Visa in your hand.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iceland
Timeline

I went to the US three times last winter to stay with my fiancee, shortest visit was 11 days the longest was 46 days. I stated the intent of my stay each time I arrived and never had any problems. Sure got a lot of questions but they were easily answered.

People's fiances have been denied entry for not having sufficient ties to their country or insufficient proof that they will return.

Is it at all possible to get a letter from someone who might be willing to give you a job upon your return to the UK? Like maybe a family friend? Something, anything you can show at the POE to prove you're not just saying you'll leave after 90 days.

I mean, yeah it's possible you'll still get in regardless, but I woudn't bet on it. Good luck either way.

Tell the truth.

Rule one tell the truth

Rule two only answer any question asked

If they ask why you are in USA say visiting girlfriend. If it arises say you are intending filing a K-1 it shows you know what you are doing and intend doing everything properly.

Your description of your sequence of visits is slightly odd yes you can come for a 90 day visit (they may well ask what funds you have with you to fund your visit I was asked this on on eoccasion) as you say you will file your K-1 and then return .... depending on which service centre you are using tends to dictate the timeline .... but once you then return it isnt for 90 days it is for GOOD you just have to marry within 90 days of entering to fulfil the requirements of the K-1 Visa.

Another piece of advice when you visit do not bring anything you wouldn't bring on holiday (even though you know eventually you will move here) I was once stopped and interrogated and they searched my lugae looking for things out of the ordinary. And as a matter of interest I had no "evidence" of my return to the UK even though I had a flat and job I had no eveidence with me. I told the truth had a very rough ride with three immigration officers who eventually believed me and allowed me to enter.

Good Luck with your Journey

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!