pagipagi

Im new, and lost :( couple questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Im new to posting here... normally I dont post I just read, but because the wedding process is getting serious Im trying to find out info about the k1/k3 process. I guess Ill just ask the questions and if someone helps thanks. :)

Im under the impression that the k1 process goes like this: Application, appointment, visa, trip to usa. My question is this. After the appointment when my fiance is informed that she has recieved the approval, it said somewhere she had four months to pick the visa up. Then the she has three months to come to the usa. This may be a stupid question, but has anyone purposely waited during that four month period to pick it up so that they could arrange the time of the trip to be scheduled around a certain date? Is that possible? Did I read the directions wrong? We want a religious ceremony in her country for her family (it wont be a legal one) so we have to plan the wedding. Now we are planning it in advance by about a year, so we assume the k1 process will take less then a year. We want to make sure that we dont get the visa too early (seriously) so we end up having to redo the wedding date. I realize most people are like "get him or her over here as soon as possible" but we are both very patient. ;)

Also out of curiousity, I've looked through the pages, and I seemed to have missed the timelines. I mean I see the timelines on this site, but I hear people refering to time lines, and it almost seems that they are not refering to timelines on this site but on a government site. Am I incorrect? What timelines is everyone refering too? Where are they?

I have a k3 question but I will ask it on the k3 forum.

Thank you for your help. Sorry to be a bother. :)

Ian

:)

Filed: Timeline

Ian,

You left out the first step prior to application - petition.

I think you are confusing having 4 months "to pick the visa up" with something else, but no matter when she picks the visa up she has 6 months from the date the visa was issued to use it.

Yodrak

Hi Im new to posting here... normally I dont post I just read, but because the wedding process is getting serious Im trying to find out info about the k1/k3 process. I guess Ill just ask the questions and if someone helps thanks. :)

Im under the impression that the k1 process goes like this: Application, appointment, visa, trip to usa. My question is this. After the appointment when my fiance is informed that she has recieved the approval, it said somewhere she had four months to pick the visa up. Then the she has three months to come to the usa. This may be a stupid question, but has anyone purposely waited during that four month period to pick it up so that they could arrange the time of the trip to be scheduled around a certain date? Is that possible? Did I read the directions wrong? We want a religious ceremony in her country for her family (it wont be a legal one) so we have to plan the wedding. Now we are planning it in advance by about a year, so we assume the k1 process will take less then a year. We want to make sure that we dont get the visa too early (seriously) so we end up having to redo the wedding date. I realize most people are like "get him or her over here as soon as possible" but we are both very patient. ;)

Also out of curiousity, I've looked through the pages, and I seemed to have missed the timelines. I mean I see the timelines on this site, but I hear people refering to time lines, and it almost seems that they are not refering to timelines on this site but on a government site. Am I incorrect? What timelines is everyone refering too? Where are they?

I have a k3 question but I will ask it on the k3 forum.

Thank you for your help. Sorry to be a bother. :)

Ian

:)

Edited by Yodrak

Wow, many questions....I'll try to get them all.

The K-1 Fiance visa process is more or less as you implied.

The K-1 visa is good for 6 months after issuance. However, once she arrives in the US, you have exactly 90 days to get married.

I am sure that many people have utilized some or most of that 6 month period, for some type of planning.

That is entirely up to you.

A timeline is your processing dates, you can see mine at the bottom of this post. You can also load that information in your account through the control panel.

I applaud your patience in planning, as I have none!!! :thumbs:

If I missed something, ask away...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

As for the planning, many people had to postpone or call off wedding cerimonies, be them legally binding or not. A number of factors could make your application be processed faster or slower, so maybe it'd be a better idea to plan the religious ceremony you mentioned *after* she gets her visa.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just wanted to make sure you are very clear on one thing -- the "picking up of the visa" is when the consulate in her country schedules her K1 interview. That happens once the petition has been approved in the US, has come and gone from the National Visa Center, and eventually gets to the consulate in her country and they schedule an interview for her.

Good point.

I am actually wondering if his Fiance is from Indonesia. To my knowledge, the only origin of the word (pagi) is Indonesia or Malaysia (pagi means morning). Not sure what pagipagi means though. Neither does my Fiance.

Any other definitions of "pagi" out there?

In any case, at the Jakarta Embassy, you are expected to "retrieve" your passport within a few days after the interview.

OP, any input here?

Just wanted to make sure you are very clear on one thing -- the "picking up of the visa" is when the consulate in her country schedules her K1 interview. That happens once the petition has been approved in the US, has come and gone from the National Visa Center, and eventually gets to the consulate in her country and they schedule an interview for her.
Edited by William33

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.