Kyrgyzfriend

Getting married on/adjusting status of tourist visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

hi, my fiancée recently came over to visit me and some of her other friends for Christmas/New Years, though when she arrived, she was given 6 months stay. So since she's been given that long, she's decided to stay longer and has since then been doing some more traveling and whatnot. Now we've been engaged for quite sometime and have been talking about getting married and all that jazz, but weren't planning on doing so at this time (as we were only planning she'd be here a month, along with possible issues with visa fraud). Her one friend from back home (who now lives in The States) said that from what she's heard it's possible to get married while on a tourist visa (or almost any visa for that matter, as long as you used the visa for it's intended purpose) and suggested that it might be easier for us to do so. As she mentioned, her cousin had filled for a fiancée visa 3 years ago and they're still reviewing her papers, and if we were to get married in their country, we'd need to file three months in advance and wait for that to be processed before we'd be able to get married (that is if we were to make it legal, so I could then just apply to bring her over as my spouse). So I was wondering, is it possible for us to get married while she's on tourist visa, then just apply for a green card and if so what's all involved with that? Would we need to have an actual traditional wedding ceremony or could we just get married by the justice of the peace? As my fiancée has done a little bit of research on her own and from what she's heard is that, they would give green card based on the actual facts of our marriage (if we really got married and are living together, rather than just so she could get a green card) and so after signing papers of marriage they give about 3 months to have the wedding, and then we could apply for the green card (which she takes to mean that we would need to have an actual traditional wedding ceremony). Also if for any reason we wouldn't be able to get married at this time, would she still be able to apply for a green card or simply extend or adjust the status of her tourist visa?

hi, my fiancée recently came over to visit me and some of her other friends for Christmas/New Years, though when she arrived, she was given 6 months stay. So since she's been given that long, she's decided to stay longer and has since then been doing some more traveling and whatnot. Now we've been engaged for quite sometime and have been talking about getting married and all that jazz, but weren't planning on doing so at this time (as we were only planning she'd be here a month, along with possible issues with visa fraud). Her one friend from back home (who now lives in The States) said that from what she's heard it's possible to get married while on a tourist visa (or almost any visa for that matter, as long as you used the visa for it's intended purpose) and suggested that it might be easier for us to do so. As she mentioned, her cousin had filled for a fiancée visa 3 years ago and they're still reviewing her papers, and if we were to get married in their country, we'd need to file three months in advance and wait for that to be processed before we'd be able to get married (that is if we were to make it legal, so I could then just apply to bring her over as my spouse). So I was wondering, is it possible for us to get married while she's on tourist visa, then just apply for a green card and if so what's all involved with that? Would we need to have an actual traditional wedding ceremony or could we just get married by the justice of the peace? As my fiancée has done a little bit of research on her own and from what she's heard is that, they would give green card based on the actual facts of our marriage (if we really got married and are living together, rather than just so she could get a green card) and so after signing papers of marriage they give about 3 months to have the wedding, and then we could apply for the green card (which she takes to mean that we would need to have an actual traditional wedding ceremony). Also if for any reason we wouldn't be able to get married at this time, would she still be able to apply for a green card or simply extend or adjust the status of her tourist visa?

If you do decide to get married while she is here, file the I-130 petition along with an adjustment of status application based on the I-130 petition. If you don't get married, she has no basis for adjusting status.

There is no requirement to have a wedding ceremony. You just have to be legally married. But, be prepared to show evidence of a bonafide marital relationship.

Follow this guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They don't like that, but some people do it anyway. I think if it was me, I'd get a lawyer, they like it when you ask for permission and then wait, that's what makes them the happiest. I see nothing wrong with it, but we think different than immigration. I think they will watch you more, I heard they will put you in separate rooms and ask you questions and see if you both answer the same, to make sure you really are married.

They don't like that, but some people do it anyway. I think if it was me, I'd get a lawyer, they like it when you ask for permission and then wait, that's what makes them the happiest. I see nothing wrong with it, but we think different than immigration. I think they will watch you more, I heard they will put you in separate rooms and ask you questions and see if you both answer the same, to make sure you really are married.

Adjusting status in this case is a perfectly acceptable and legitimate path. Unless there are reasons to suspect that they married solely for immigration benefit, they will not be subjected to separate interogation. I would expect an uneventful and successful adjustment of status in this case.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline
Adjusting status in this case is a perfectly acceptable and legitimate path. Unless there are reasons to suspect that they married solely for immigration benefit, they will not be subjected to separate interogation. I would expect an uneventful and successful adjustment of status in this case.

Thanks for your help... How long does it usually take to adjust your status, and would that include getting your green card or would we have to apply separately for that?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

second that

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.