lexrj

Bad AOS Interview Experience - a must read!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Had my AOS interview last thursday (02/11), here is what happened:

Arrived 15 minutes before the scheduled time. Me my wife and the lawyer waited about 25 minutes to get called. While we were waiting we were chatting, the subject was mostly traveling and the lawyer also told us about some of her cases and that she always had good interviews, the we had great pics, and that she knew some of the interviewers so we should be fine.

Our interviewer called us, men about 40ish. We got seated and the officer starts to ask some type of lawyer ID which she didnt have and they kinda had an argument about that because she said she never needed before and blah blah blah...You could tell the officer was being hard on the lawyer, he was nice to me and my wife.

So the interview starts and the first question the officer asked me is "how come your english is so good?" (I'm the gc beneficiary my wife is the sponsor). As soon as he asked I tough to myself, how does he know that if all I said it was hi, but I answered anyway. I explained that my father is american (thinking that would make a difference), I also did an exchange program in Texas and always studied english, plus I've been here for almost 3 years. After that it was pretty much basic interview questions like, how did we meet, where do we live, what do I do for a living (no more then 5 minutes). He then asked to see some pictures, he looked through, complemented the pics and didnt asked anything about it except for who paid for the Vegas wedding (It was me).

Then he asked for other types of documents, so I pulled up a folder and started to show him the Lease and Health Insurance. Before he even start looking he asked me, do you have copies? I said: I dont but you can keep the originals if you want (by the way my lawyer didnt send any of these documents with the paperwork). He said he didnt wanted it and that I should have those prepared, the lawyer tries to argue that wasnt common practice and ask if he can make the copies (there was a copier right behind him). He said no and finished the interview giving us a Request for Bona-fide Marriage Documents (I-72) to be mailed in no more then 30 days that he will analyze. Took my I-94 and We also signed the "Removal of Conditions Status" which explains about the temporary gc and the need to file a conditions removal after some time.

My Conclusion and Question

They must have mics on the waiting room to hear me "speaking english" and the lawyer bragging about her cases and stuff, I'm guessing they didnt like that and decided to teach the lawyer a lesson and because of that I got "screwed" at the interview.

The main thing that worries me is that because I just recently was able to get a SSN, we never had Joint Bank Accounts or Credit Cards (no point on getting one now) and the Health Insurance is pretty recent because I could not get a decent joint health insurance without SSN. Another issue is that because my wife got a DUI in 2007 (before we met), the rates are ridiculous to have Joint Car insurance policies, so we dont have it.

I'm tired of stupid lawyers (had really bad experience with them, even with the ones well recommended) and I'm going to send the documents myself, should I write those lack of documentations explanations on the package and send with the documents?

Anyone got that request before? What happened?

thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, sorry to see that you had to go through that. I've never been through this before, so I can't give you any advice, except to always make copies of originals. The fact that the lawyer didn't even send those copies that were supposed to go with the AOS package means she has no idea what she was doing. Cut her loose and do it yourself - you'll be better off :thumbs:

Naturalization Journey

----------------------------------------------------

12/18/12 - Send N-400 package to Phoenix Lockbox!

12/21/12 - Delivered and signed for by Fernando Dominguez

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

12/28/12 - E-mail notification that biometrics notice was sent!

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

04/02/13 - Interview! Passed!

May 2013 - Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
They must have mics on the waiting room to hear me "speaking english" and the lawyer bragging about her cases and stuff, I'm guessing they didnt like that and decided to teach the lawyer a lesson and because of that I got "screwed" at the interview.

I'm sorry it didn't go well for you. It sounds like you weren't denied, just requested for copies of more documents. Since you have those documents, you should be fine.

It's been suggested before that interviewees are watched and/or listened to before the interview. I don't know if we are, and it might depend on the location. But my experience was the opposite of yours, and it could be in part because we were being watched. When the interviewer finally came for us (45 minutes after the appointment time), my husband and I were in different parts of the waiting room because he'd gotten up to walk around. But earlier, we'd been holding hands and hugging, which is common for us to do. (It was a large waiting room and not very crowded.) The interviewer had hardly any questions and approved us after seeing just a couple of pieces of paper from the 6 file folders I brought. We had the impression that he'd decided to approve us before the interview started and just needed a couple of papers to validate his decision.

The interviewer apparently didn't like your lawyer, but it sounds like he was OK with you and your wife. Let us know when you have an update. :)

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Wow, sorry to see that you had to go through that. I've never been through this before, so I can't give you any advice, except to always make copies of originals. The fact that the lawyer didn't even send those copies that were supposed to go with the AOS package means she has no idea what she was doing. Cut her loose and do it yourself - you'll be better off :thumbs:

I don't know what the OP was adjusting from, but I doubt many adjusting from a K visa have that sort of paperwork when filing for AOS. I know we filed a few days after getting married, much sooner than I added my husband to my lease/insurance/accounts. So I wouldn't put too much blame on the lawyer for not originally including those documents in the AOS package.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I guess in some cases a lawyer hurts more than can help.

About the waiting room, I've known ever since the first time I went to the consulate in Brasil for a tourist visa that they watch you and listen in for any hints of fraud/bad intentions, etc. I am sure it wouldn't be different in the immigration buildings in US.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

I had the feeling too during our interview that we were being watched/tested. Ours went quite smoothly. Maybe it was because we were clinging to each other in terror the whole time. ;)

I hope the OP hears some good news soon!

24q38dy.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.