elmcitymaven

UK DCF -- the ins and outs and ups and downs

309 posts in this topic

What Lansbury said. :D You guys are set -- just bring a copy of the lease, maybe a bill, and the employer's letter that should be a part of your I-864 packet.

The info is on the Embassy website, but it's really hidden. Here it is: London Domicile FAQ from the Embassy Website

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I haven't posted in a bit, but I just wanted to say a big WELCOME for the new London DCFers, and send out all my best wishes for a smooth journey through the DCF process!

Reow: wish your husband luck from VJ for his upcoming medical! :)

Matt_UK: any update on the RFE? did you send in the affidavits, etc. yet?

Staceyafreeman: for some information on shipping companies, check over in the United Kingdom subsection on the Regional Forums. There are a couple of threads there dealing with shipping by sea, and also a thread (think it's entitled something to do with Parcelmonkey) that deals with reasonable companies that ship by air. Good luck!

Hellojulie and Tavvy: CONGRATULATIONS for the approvals! Thanks for keeping us posted, and thanks for the thorough review, HJ! Very helpful!

Londonhornet and Hokie97: BEST OF LUCK with your upcoming interviews! Be sure to post back and let us all know how it goes! Jenny, I'm not sure about if you'd want to bring "proof" of your relationship-- I'm one of the "just in case" types, so I'll probably bring some wedding photos, letters, etc. (that will probably never be looked at). Tell them to just look up your blog, for proof. (lol) :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

jhphi I will probably take a few photos now that you mention it. What will it hurt? Besides my back carrying all this stuff in :) Better to have it and it not be looked at than to have to send it later. I've gotten so anxious now that I started making my husband read the instructions as well just to make sure I didn't mis-read something.

I have a question for you all. It's regarding the Leaving The UK forms. Does anyone have any experience with these? I printed out the P85 today, but none of it applies to my husband. He does not own property or have insurance and is not leaving to work. He has been on benefits, so his taxes are already paid for... Is there anything else that we need to fill out? We will contact all the benefits people as soon as we set our move date so all of that can be canceled.

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

September 30, 2007 - I joined a country music website that he ran

March, 2008 - Started chatting online

October 15-27, 2008 - I came to the UK to visit, got engaged during surprise trip to Paris

February 14, 2009 - Married in Virginia

February 28, 2009 - Passport with new name arrived

March 3, 2009 - Biometrics appointment, Fed-Ex'd Spousal VISA package to courier

March 5, 2009 - Courier delivered to Embassy in LA

March 6, 2009 - VISA approved

March 7, 2009 - VISA in hand, bought airline ticket

March 8, 2009 - Arrived in U.K.

October 2009 - Decided to move family to the US

November 6, 2009 - Mailed I-130 to London

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

January 6, 2010 - Packet 3 received

January 13, 2010 - DS-2001 mailed

January 25, 2010 - Medicals completed

April 16, 2010 - Interview - It's a YES!

June 7, 2010 - Move to Virginia!

http://jennysadventuresinengland.blogspot.com

March 29, 2011 - Husband walked out on our marriage

April 29, 2011 - Husband moved himself and the children to Wyoming to be with the best woman from our wedding, who he'd only met the one time, at our wedding

December 14, 2011 - Divorce finalized

Jenny,

Wish I could help on that one, but I haven't looked into that at all yet (it's stuck in my "stuff to do before moving" folder). Maybe post the question as its own topic over in the United Kingdom thread of the Regional Discussion subforum? It might get some good advice over there, as it's not just DCFers who would need to do this. Good luck!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all!

I just stumbled upon the DSF option...I didn't know anything about it until today! Does the London embassy tend to keep it quiet? I find it very strange that I haven't read anything about it on the website..also we had a chat with someone at the embassy the other day about options and he didn't mention this, but instead recommended the K1. We're not married yet but are going to be soon and if this really only takes about 3 months to process in most cases this is actually a much cheaper option than K1...am I right about the processing time? I'm still trying to figure all this out but does anyone know whether admission to a graduate school and opening a bank account etc would qualify as evidence for intent to re-establish domicile? I've never really lived in the US as I was born and raised abroad by American parent so that's the tricky part for us.

Sorry that's all a bit sketchy...oh the newfound opportunities!

What Lansbury said. :D You guys are set -- just bring a copy of the lease, maybe a bill, and the employer's letter that should be a part of your I-864 packet.

The info is on the Embassy website, but it's really hidden. Here it is: London Domicile FAQ from the Embassy Website

I was hoping to get a little domicile advice. We are still waiting for our approval (NOA2) which hopefully will come in the next week as they are 'processing' our date now. I am the USC and I wasn't planning on returning to the states until we move back together this summer. I don't have a residence or job in the states but have some prospects. My question is... what is likely to be needed for the domicile question? Should I head back a bit early and get a job lined up or would a letter from our current landlord with intent to move, job applications, moving quotes, etc be enough? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My question is... what is likely to be needed for the domicile question? Should I head back a bit early and get a job lined up or would a letter from our current landlord with intent to move, job applications, moving quotes, etc be enough? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I second that question :) am wondering about the same thing!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My question is... what is likely to be needed for the domicile question? Should I head back a bit early and get a job lined up or would a letter from our current landlord with intent to move, job applications, moving quotes, etc be enough? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The best answer I can give is it might be enough. You need to be able to show that you have taken positive steps towards your return to the US. When you get back to the States where are you going to live. Buy or rent contact a Realtor or rental agency and have them start looking, be able to show you have done this.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Can anyone advise whether or not I have to take a form I-134 (completed or not) to the interview?

Hi! The form that's required for our situation is the I-864. The instructions for the I-134 say do not use form I-134 if the alien being sponsored requires form I-864.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for all of your help jhphi :D .

Art of confusion - DCF is taking a lot longer than three months at the moment, looking at other London DCF on this forum and my own experience I would say its more like 5 months, would others agree with me?

Good luck everyone

xx

4 - 5 months has been pretty much the average over the last few years. Sometimes it is quicker than that but that is because the I-130 stage is shorter. I've seen the I-130 take anything from 2 - 13 weeks to get approved.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Our interview is scheduled for about five months and a week after we sent our I-130. We got held up for six weeks due to the RFE letter getting lost on the way to us, but you should check out the timelines of some of the other London DCFers listed in this thread.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.