10 posts in this topic

Hello I am new in this forum and wonder if you folks can help us. I am currently living with my bf for aprox 6 months.

We are planning to get married in the summer, could we file taxes together using his ITIN number?? I am wondering if the IO will ask for his tax returns even if he has not been working.

BTW he came on a tourist visa and overstayed without the intention of getting married

Thanks in advance, I think this forum is great

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
Hello I am new in this forum and wonder if you folks can help us. I am currently living with my bf for aprox 6 months.

We are planning to get married in the summer, could we file taxes together using his ITIN number?? I am wondering if the IO will ask for his tax returns even if he has not been working.

BTW he came on a tourist visa and overstayed without the intention of getting married

Thanks in advance, I think this forum is great

You said you are planning to get married this summer. Which means that are not married now, nor were you married during any part of 2009. Therefore, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot file taxes as "married filing jointly", for 2009. If you are referring to tax year 2010, there is a long time yet in which to file for Adjustment of Status after you are married this summer, and then obtain your Social Security card and number.

Maybe I'm missing something in your question here.

Removal of Conditions:

10-13-2011: Received Reminder Letter

11-21-2011: Sent my ROC via USPS Express Mail

11-22-2011: Package received at 10:52AM by INS EXPRESS MAIL and signed by Mario Guerrero

11-22-2011: NOA Receipt Date

11-25-2011: Check Cashed!

11-28-2011: NOA Arrived

844debe071.png

b837064a14.png

96f9494b90.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Don't worry about filing for taxes now, you have a bigger issue to deal with.

If you can, provide more info

Where is he from, how long was the overstay.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

He is from Chile and oversayed about 4 years.

Question: would they ask for his tax returns for the last years?

He has not been working, only taking care of a family member that recently passed away.

Thanks

Getting an ITIN does not change your immigration status or your right to work in the United States and I suspect if he has overstayed for as long as 4 years he will likely face a ban surely?

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
Getting an ITIN does not change your immigration status or your right to work in the United States and I suspect if he has overstayed for as long as 4 years he will likely face a ban surely?

The ban for overstaying applies only if the person leaves the country. If he remains and they marry and adjust status, the overstay will be forgiven. As long as he doesn't get in trouble with immigration before then, he should be fine.

In AOS, the income (and taxes) of the citizen is important, that of the immigrant is not.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
The ban for overstaying applies only if the person leaves the country. If he remains and they marry and adjust status, the overstay will be forgiven. As long as he doesn't get in trouble with immigration before then, he should be fine.

In AOS, the income (and taxes) of the citizen is important, that of the immigrant is not.

OP's boyfriend(fiance) is out of status, how can he adjust status without having one to begin with?I don't know how the "forgiven" logic works, it just doesn't make sense.

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Ah yes, is the original poster a USC?

http://nomoremrsniceguy.blogspot.com/

Our journey:

11th October 2012: APPROVED!

24th February 2012: Biometrics appointment

8th February 2012: Touch

24th January 2012: Biometrics NOA date (received 30th)

19th January 2012: Check cashed by VSC

17th January 2012: NOA date (received 20th)

14th January 2012: ROC delivered via USPS to VSC

13th January 2012: Filed for ROC

Earliest date to remove conditions: Friday, December 2, 2011

9th March 2010: GC in hand

1st March 2010: Interview 8.40am APPROVED!

1st March 2010: EAD arrives, along with daughters US passport

15th January 2010: Biometrics appointment

10th December 2009: Filed for AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline
OP's boyfriend(fiance) is out of status, how can he adjust status without having one to begin with?I don't know how the "forgiven" logic works, it just doesn't make sense.

And lovely alex asks:

Ah yes, is the original poster a USC?

I didn't think of the USC issue. If the OP is not a citizen, then everything is different.

But to answer Hell0W0rld -

Assuming that the OP is a citizen, "out-of-status" is an expression that usually means someone's status is expired - they overstayed a visa, or something like that. Adjustment of status is allowed in this situation. It is extremely common to adjust status in this way. When the adjustment of status takes place, an overstay is "forgiven" in the sense that it does not (usually) cause any problems after that.

When my wife and I did her AOS interview, the interviewer told us that almost everyone she saw was "out-of-status." She was a little surprised that my wife had never been out-of-status.

It isn't really a good idea to look too hard for common sense and logic in immigration laws, what is, simply is.

I am a USC and aware that his overstay will hopefully been forgiven once we get married, and adjust his status. It was basically a question about his taxes.

Thanks for your replies

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.