trailmix

2010 Tax thread - For Canada and the U.S.

227 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, just to clarify. When I filed from Canada, I only filed for myself, used the 2555 and did not include slips.

When we were in the U.S. I DID include my Husbands T4 slip with the return (along with his W2s) - if I remember correctly.

I was leaning towards including Mel's T4 in with my returns, just in case. Did you include his original, or copies?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm still extremely confused on who can use the 2555 exclusion..(see last post in zyggy's thread)

Does tax home mean just 2009 or any 330+ days in which you lived in foreign country?

I moved to the U.S. Sept 21st, and became a PR "date" 12/14/09. When does Canada treat you as a non resident? Left Canada? Or PR in the USA date?

Still confused how my lump sum pension will be treated as well.

I'm pretty sure Canada counts your leave date as the physical date you left Canada.

For the US, they base your residency a bit differently and they explain it on their site.

I'm confused about the 2555 now too.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I was leaning towards including Mel's T4 in with my returns, just in case. Did you include his original, or copies?

I sent originals, only because I had extras - they usually give you a couple of originals of each slip.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I sent originals, only because I had extras - they usually give you a couple of originals of each slip.

I think we included one of the original copies....you usually have 3 ...1 for my Cdn return, 1 for the US and 1 I filed at home

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It would be foreign income, Hapy.

OK so I was looking at the foreign earned income form and I don;t think it makes sense for unemployment benefits. If my husband is getting EI isn't that considered unearned income? He no longer has an employer...or should I put his previous employer that he was working for prior to his move. I am completely confused here!

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-16

CHECK CASHED: 2008-12-18

TOUCHED: 2008-12-23

I-129F RFE(s) : NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-04-06

NVC Left : 2009-04-13

Consulate Received : 2009-04-15

Packet 3 Mailed: 2009-04-17

Packet 3 Received : 2009-04-22

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-04-23

Packet 3 Received in Montreal: 2009-04-27

Medical : 2009-04-27

Packet 4 Received : 2009-06-08

Interview Date : 2009-07-08 Approved!

Visa Received : 2009-07-10

US Entry : 2009-07-16

Marriage : 2009-07-24

Comments : Church Wedding and Celebration on November 14, 2009.

Having civil wedding because need AP for trip to Ireland planned December 2009, couldn't risk not being able to go so civil wedding before the church wedding.

AOS, EAD and AP

CIS Office : Dover DE

Date Filed : 2009-07-29

Check Cashed: 2009-08-07

NOA Date : 2009-08-06

RFE(s) :

Received Bio Appt Notice: 2009-08-20

Bio. Appt. : 2009-08-31

AOS Transfer** : 2009-08-24

Interview Date : NONE

AP/EAD Approved: 2009-09-21

AOS Approved:2009-10-02

event.png

Timeline

So I'm still filing on my own this year as we didn't get married until the new year. However I'm filing from the states. Does this mean I should use something like ufile and send it to the international tax place? This means I can't file it online at all? I'm just wondering because 2009 isnt being filed as a non-resident, as I was in Canada through the end of the year. I guess I'm just wondering if they will get all confused because of it being filed under a US address even though I am still filing it as a resident. I know next year I will have to put my leaving date on the tax form when I file for the whole 10 days I was in Canada. This is probably a really easy answer but for some reason its all muddling in my mind. I think I've been dealing with a bit too much paperwork lately :lol:

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Never mind I found my own answer! I can't because the address is outside Canada, even though I'm filing it as a resident for this year.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Questions - since my husband is not in the States yet, and we don't have an ITIN number for him, can I file married filing separate, and do an amended tax return when he gets here? Seriously thinking about just waiting til he is here, and has a SSN. And do we have to fill something out on his bank account, if it has over $10k? (Read that in this thread, hadn't heard about it before.)

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Since no one else is biting...I'll go first!

Question: if I obtain my SSN before my wife files her taxes, will she be able to file as married-joint with me, thus receiving a reduction for the 2009 tax year?

I'm pretty sure the answer is YES to that...but I'd like a bit more feedback if anyone can provide it. :)

She has to file as married anyways. If you don't get an SSN, fill out a W-7 for an ITIN and send it and the return to the Austin address. Not filing as MFJ is leaving a lot of money on the table.

Questions - since my husband is not in the States yet, and we don't have an ITIN number for him, can I file married filing separate, and do an amended tax return when he gets here? Seriously thinking about just waiting til he is here, and has a SSN. And do we have to fill something out on his bank account, if it has over $10k? (Read that in this thread, hadn't heard about it before.)

Again, you have to file a W-7 with a tax return, so file as married filing joint now and get the W-7 in. If he will be here before October, you can file for an extension and then file once he has the SSN. Do your taxes as MFJ, and if you won't owe, just file the extension and wait.

OK so I was looking at the foreign earned income form and I don;t think it makes sense for unemployment benefits. If my husband is getting EI isn't that considered unearned income? He no longer has an employer...or should I put his previous employer that he was working for prior to his move. I am completely confused here!

EI is considered earned income. If he is in the US, the benefits are taxable and should be reported as other income or under unemployment benefits. He can take the taxes Canada takes out as a foreign tax credit.

Sending in your T4s is not necessary and really shouldn't be done./ When it comes to forrign income, you're on the honor system. If you get audited for it, you have the proof in the form of the T4. Make sure you keep a copy of how you converted the CDD into USD

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
Considering that my wife didn't earn any income in the U.S., and only payed taxes in Canada, wouldn't that be her tax home?

No... Her tax home is specifically defined by the US/Canada tax treaty. If your wife spend more than 6 months in the US or has a Green Card, the US is her tax home.

Oooh, thank you! I agree with Ashen... I've read through most of the other tax thread, but it is incredibly long and perhaps, partly, outdated.

So, this will be the first time I file taxes myself... I usually just hand them off to the woman who does the taxes for my parents' business. Is ufile.ca still the best option for a first- (and last-) timer? Hubby uses TurboTax, but I assume that's a U.S. only program?

Also, regardless of what program I use, I assume I can't efile it? I have to mail it in to the International Tax Office in Ottawa, right?

If so, about how long should I allot myself for mailing time? I know my former employer tends to be a bit lax in sending out T4s.

THe thread is not outdated. All the info in there is still valid. Nothing in the tax code has changed for 2010 that pertains to that thread.

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Thanks a lot for chipping in to this thread, Zyggy!

It looks like the timing for my arrival in the U.S. will be beneficial -- I should have my SSN before April 15th, and we can file married-joint as a result.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline
I'm still extremely confused on who can use the 2555 exclusion..(see last post in zyggy's thread)

Does tax home mean just 2009 or any 330+ days in which you lived in foreign country?

I moved to the U.S. Sept 21st, and became a PR "date" 12/14/09. When does Canada treat you as a non resident? Left Canada? Or PR in the USA date?

Still confused how my lump sum pension will be treated as well.

What you choose as your leaving Canada date is open to interpretation and there has been no guidance on what they want. Being conservative, I usually take the approach with the least risk, which is the date you left Canada to take up residence in the US. One could argue that you are not technically a resident until you receive the Green Card which is much later. But if CRA finds against you, you will owe for the interim.

What do you mean by lump sum pension. Do you mean cashing in an RRSP?

As to whether you can use the 2225, it is quite clear, if you lived outside the US for 330 out of any consecutive 365 day period, not necessarily a calendar year, you can use it to exclude income for the period you were a non-resident.

Edited by zyggy

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Is that 330 out of 365 days outside the U.S. a litmus test for using form 2555? My wife arrived here at the end of March, and didn't work, or receive EI this year. She only worked for 2.5 months in Canada. I was having trouble determining whether or not we should use the 2555 or 1116. Could you shed some light?

Timeline
Is that 330 out of 365 days outside the U.S. a litmus test for using form 2555? My wife arrived here at the end of March, and didn't work, or receive EI this year. She only worked for 2.5 months in Canada. I was having trouble determining whether or not we should use the 2555 or 1116. Could you shed some light?

Exactly. If she lived in Canada for 330 days between March 2008 and March 2009, she can use the 2555 for January to March 2009.

Ok, my tax issues aren't regarding Canadian income (got that all out of the way a couple of years ago, thank goodness), but I saw that Réjean's name was misspelled on his 1099-G from Missouri Unemployment and one of his W-2s. Does anyone happen to know if we have to wait to file until we get those amended with the correct spelling of his first name?

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.