sharon1307

What happens once in the U.S?

5 posts in this topic

Hi can anyone please tell me what kind of questions they ask you at the airport once i land in the U.S? We applied for the immigrant visa I-130 and then the DS-230 and was accepted. I'm now awaiting our passport and visa pack to be returned apparently 7-10 business days. I'm currently living in the UK and married for 3 years to my husband who is American. Once

My question is, will we have another interview again at the airport? What kind of questions do they ask? I know that they will take us to the secondary processing area but is that just a formality? Or will we need all the info that we needed when being interviewed at the U S embassy in London? i know i'm probably worrying for nothing but thats what i do, i'm a worrier.

Are there any do's and don'ts? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks alot!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi can anyone please tell me what kind of questions they ask you at the airport once i land in the U.S? We applied for the immigrant visa I-130 and then the DS-230 and was accepted. I'm now awaiting our passport and visa pack to be returned apparently 7-10 business days. I'm currently living in the UK and married for 3 years to my husband who is American. Once

My question is, will we have another interview again at the airport? What kind of questions do they ask? I know that they will take us to the secondary processing area but is that just a formality? Or will we need all the info that we needed when being interviewed at the U S embassy in London? i know i'm probably worrying for nothing but thats what i do, i'm a worrier.

Are there any do's and don'ts? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks alot!

When you arrive at the airport you will be taken to a separate area to process your entry, that's when your IR1 visa will expire. They won't give you another interview but will ask basic questions to make sure that the info written on the documents that are inside the yellow envelope are correct. They will then stamp your passport with the I-551 stamp which will be your temporary "green card" until the real one arrives in the mail. They also took my husband's fingerprint, another picture and asked him to sign some things and that was that.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

I am sure you will get quite a variety of responses to this question. Here is our experience.

Entered the US through Detroit POE. I accompanied by Fiancee in the "visitors" line. We were K1 and she is from Vietnam. When our turn came we both walked to the counter together. I handed the officer both our passports and the "brown package" from the consulate. He opened the package and browsed through it. We were asked only one question and it was kind of silly. The officer asked if she was immigrating today! (well of course the answer was yes). After that he completed and attached the I94 and stamped the passport and we were on our way. The only other thing he said was "You know you have 90 days to get married, right?" And we said yes. He said welcome to the US.

When we got to Customs, the Officer there asked a few questions. Where did we meet, when are we getting married. We answered those questions and were on our way home!

For us it was very simple and the officers were very polite. No secondary processing or problems.

Hope you have a good experience too!!!!!!!!!!!!

oops - oh yes, they checked fingerprints on one hand and took her picture too.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

They normally don't re-hash the things that were gone over at the consular interview. They do need to make some entries into their computers to issue you the green card, and they've got to verify your US address where the green card will be sent. That's normally done in secondary processing, but rarely I've heard of it being done in the normal queue, depending on the POE and how busy they are.

The consulate already decided you were eligible for the visa. Basically, the POE can only turn you back if they find new information that the consulate couldn't have known about, or if they find you're carrying contraband or something like that. They don't look for a reason to turn you back, unless you somehow do something obvious that would arouse their suspicion. So the POE experience is normally quick and very easy.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

For spouse visas it is usually pretty mundane... They take immigrant to area, collect the big mystery envelope, if they have any questions about the contents they ask, many ask the address that you will be living at etc... Then you get the I551 stamp, wait about a week or two, go to the Social Security office to get SS# (it is hit or miss on the mailing of it) and wait for the GC to arrive in about 1-2 months...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.