muchogrande

Canadian Common Law CR-1/IR-1?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, my wife and I are recently OFFICALLY married (Oct 21), but have been common law married in Canada for about 9 years. I assumed that we would need to do the CR-1 thing, but after reading this on the Dept of state website:

What is a “Spouse”?

A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife. Merely living together does not qualify a marriage for immigration. Common-law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration, but only if the laws of the country where the common-law marriage occurs recognizes common-law marriages and grants them all the same rights and obligations as a traditional marriage. In cases of polygamy, only the first spouse may qualify as a spouse for immigration.

I am wondering if there is any way we can qualify for an IR1. Anyone have experience with this/know where I might be able to find out more?

thanks

-m

Edited by muchogrande

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting find there, I have never heard of this.

I assume you have stated on all your immigration documents, so far, that you were 'married' on October 21st. Seems to me that fact alone will stop you from pursuing an IR1 - however I am just guessing here.

I think this is one of those questions that a REALLY good immigration lawyer would have to answer.

Please let us know what you find out if you don't get your answer here.

Timeline

One could pursue a lawyer, but in the end a lawyer "may" cost more than the fees to file the I-751

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

and thats the only real benefit over the ir-1 over the cr-1! 10 yr vs 2 yrs!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

can't hurt

Asked the question to Montreal and they said this:

Your case will be issued as an IR1 if the legal marriage date is over 2

years. Also we have just mailed your information packet this week.

Regards Op1

Still think I'll ask a lawyer.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. There isn't much of a difference between CR-1 and IR-1 -- it's just that with a CR-1 you have to spend a bit of money and fill out a few forms in two years. As intimated above, the amount you're going to spend on a lawyer, coupled with the stress of trying to get the consulate to view your case differently is likely not worth it. If Montreal has told you definitively that it needs to be a legal marriage -- NOT common-law -- no lawyer is going to change their mind.

A marriage certificate is a HUGE part of the proof required at all stages of the process -- USCIS, NVC and the Consulate. I don't think they're going to change that for you now.

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

I doubt they will change it now either, but it would be great if you asked the question of a good lawyer because it's interesting :lol:

The thing is, up to this point you have stated your marriage started in October, I doubt very much that any CO is going to change that now - however, if you don't visit a lawyer, it would be interesting to bring it up at the interview - as long as you are willing to wait while they research it.

Timeline

n/m

:blush:

Edited by lgg

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

:whistle: Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Timeline

Yeah, Im sure you people are right. The reason I was hoping to get an IR-1 is that our work has us moving around a lot, so I was concerned about the limitations that would be on her with a CR-1 (in terms of being able to leave the US for extended periods / multiple trips).

I read somewhere that she was allowed 1 year outside of the US in the 2 year wait before removal of conditions. Does anyone know where I can find solid information on that?

thanks

Timeline
n/m

:blush:

:whistle:

whaaaaaaaaatttt??

The info on maintaining PR is here, it's the same for a CR or IR:

Maintaining Permanent Residence

Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.