colonia

Police Certificate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey everybody,

I am new to this forum and maybe someone can help me with my question(s) regarding the police certificate needed for the K 1 visa (for which my fiance and i plan to apply by end of August):

-do I need to bring it with me to the interview or do i need to send it in earlier?

- how old/new is the police certificate supposed to be when handing it in?

Since i work in the humanitarian aid business and am going to Asia in a couple of weeks (for six months) this question is pretty important to me since I may encounter problems with getting the certificate while being abroad (in Germany you have to show up in person at city hall to have it issued).

if i need it for the interview (for which i will fly to Germany for a week or two) i could just get it then, otherwise i need to fly back to Germany just for a five minute visit to city hall.

It would be great if somebody had an answer to my question.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

As I understand it, you're the foreign fiance, right?

Since you haven't applied yet and depending on which service center will process your petition, it'll take some months till you get to the interview date. Also, scheduling interviews may take less or more time according to the embassy or consulate where it'll take place.

But in short, you'll need the police certificates for the interview. Instructions on how/when to obtain them will be in packet 3, sent by the foreign consulate to the beneficiary, after the petition's been approved and forwarded to the beneficiary's country.

As for how long they're good, it also varies according to the country you're getting them. For example, in Brazil, state certificates are only valid for one month and federal ones are valid for 90 days.

I'm not sure, but I've read somewhere that you can get the police certificates through the embassies. So, even if you're in Asia, maybe you could call the embassy from your country in whichever country you are in to find out whether it can be done.

Edited by Mew

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

How to obtain police certificates from all countries.

police certificates

Remember if you have lived in any country for a year (doesnt not have to be all at one time) (i.e. in france for 6 months one time, then 3 months later, there for 6 months) you have to have police certificate for that country.

Police certificates are only needed for foriegn national not USC.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

us doesnt do police certs anyways :D

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Timeline

Even if you were in US longer than a year you dont do one there. It is done when you do interview. By the way it does include your home country and normally that is only 6 months. Other countries are 1 year.

Last thing, I wouldnt wait until you get packet 3 many countries take month or two to send you police certificate. Check embassy website where your interview will be but I believe they are good for at least a year. Confirm that though.

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

Filed: Timeline

Hallo,

i just checked the link dwar49 has sent me: i can get my police certificate while being abroad, i just have to subit the request in written form and have it delivered to the german embassy in the country where i will be working. juhu!

good thing also to know that i wont need a police certificate for my exchange year in the US; now i just have to get one from from the Sri Lankan authorities (did 11 months of internship there) but that should be easy since my next job assignment will be in Sri Lanka (so i can take care of it on the spot).

thanks so much everybody for answering my questions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hallo,

i just checked the link dwar49 has sent me: i can get my police certificate while being abroad, i just have to subit the request in written form and have it delivered to the german embassy in the country where i will be working. juhu!

good thing also to know that i wont need a police certificate for my exchange year in the US; now i just have to get one from from the Sri Lankan authorities (did 11 months of internship there) but that should be easy since my next job assignment will be in Sri Lanka (so i can take care of it on the spot).

thanks so much everybody for answering my questions!

Good to know! Good luck! :)

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iceland
Timeline
How to obtain police certificates from all countries.

police certificates

Remember if you have lived in any country for a year (doesnt not have to be all at one time) (i.e. in france for 6 months one time, then 3 months later, there for 6 months) you have to have police certificate for that country.

Police certificates are only needed for foriegn national not USC.

They got the adresses for the Icelandic agencies wrong :wacko:

Timeline

They got the adresses for the Icelandic agencies wrong :wacko:

Contact the state department and complain. I in no way endorse the accuracy of any government site.

I do not write their info, I just point people to the supposed source of information.

Doesnt surprise me that some of the addresses are wrong though.

Like trying to call Australia from US, god help you if you get automated answering service, their beeps in their phones are different and they dont recognize US beeps.

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.