Lyn & Lisa

Importing Car to US that's Financed

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a 08 GM and I have my compliance letter to import in US. Unclear if we also need to have the loan paid off or just a letter from the bank saying we can import to US. Experience, direction, and I know it's bad news.... :rofl:

I had a GMC that was financed thru GMAC. I imported it to the US. I still had my Canadian bank account and kept making payments from it. I was never asked at anytime during importation, licensing or when getting a state title if it was paid off. I never called GMAC to see if it was alright - payments were always made on time. I would say if your bank is ok with it then that's the only place where I would see that there may be a problem with it.

Edited by neiks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They don't ask to see the title of the car, just your registration and the compliance letter (at least, that's what they asked for at the Peace Bridge in Buffalo). You'll be fine.

Now, whether or not you'll be fine when you actually try to get plates in the state in which you arrive, that's another story, and mostly depends on the practices of the DMV in that state.

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Timeline

BTW, per GMAC, you are *not* allowed to permanently bring a car to the US if it is financed through them (I called...). It may be different per loan.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, this is good news, hopefully for me too. A similar discussion was happening in the following thread today

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185250

Seems every province in Canada has different ways of dealing with car ownership (some have titles, others it just "registration") and each state in the United States is different too. ARGH!

I am just hoping my fiance' can keep paying his car payments from his canadian bank account that he will keep open and import the car to the U.S. Thanks Neiks for the information about having a car that is still being paid for in Canada while the beneficiary is in the U.S. :)

BTW, per GMAC, you are *not* allowed to permanently bring a car to the US if it is financed through them (I called...). It may be different per loan.

Opps, looks like I wasn't suppose to do that. I see their point - if they say yes, not a problem, it would be nearly impossible to reposses the vehicle once it has gone to the US. Like I said, I didn't even bother to check with GMAC - payments were still be made on time via direct withdrawl from my Canadian bank account, plus I still had a residence and a job in Canada so they could always show up there to find me if they needed to get the vehicle back if I happened not to make my payments.

Thats odd because when I called I specifically said I was moving to the USA permanently. I

updated my address for their records. A few months later living in the USA I changed my legal name on the loan document and had absolutely no problems. I still need tochange my certificate of title because my title still has maiden name, as well as registration.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

Further info,

I have a loan for my car through TD Canada trust, "loan has to be paid off before import to the US". I also called CBP for the States and they said you can import your car whenever you want to. Just need to if you want to get plates or insurance for it in the US. I guess it's all up to what bank you have a loan with or if they will change their minds.

It also depends what kind of loan it is. Personal loan versus a car loan where there is a lien against the car. I was told by the bank that you cannot import a car that has a lien against it. I needed to get a personal loan to be able to import my car.

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Timeline
I have a 08 GM and I have my compliance letter to import in US. Unclear if we also need to have the loan paid off or just a letter from the bank saying we can import to US. Experience, direction, and I know it's bad news.... :rofl:

i just imported my truck i did just pay it all off but when i filled the form at border no one ever asked if it was paid for

it actually is pretty easy to import a vehicle of course i had to gift it to my husband who is us citizen but other then that pretty easy

you do need the compliance letter and must be the original not faxed one

good luck!!!

Filed: Timeline
i just imported my truck i did just pay it all off but when i filled the form at border no one ever asked if it was paid for

it actually is pretty easy to import a vehicle of course i had to gift it to my husband who is us citizen but other then that pretty easy

It's a different story at the DMV.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.