Kukolka

Family driving across the border to attend wedding

13 posts in this topic

My fiance's family (immediate family + grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins) is planning to drive down to CT for the wedding. He's telling them well in advance to make sure they have valid passports. :) If they bring the wedding invitations, and working adults bring letters from their employers, and retired adults bring evidence of a pension, they should most likely be good to cross to attend the wedding? Is there anything else they should bring? Some kind of evidence that children are enrolled in school, if this is during a school year, would a letter from the school office suffice? What if it's during summer break? Anything else they should bring that I'm not aware of? (This is all assuming no criminal records). Should they apply for visitor visas ahead of time? Should we provide them photocopies of any of our stuff from the K-1 visa process, and if so, what?

I'd like to hear from others who've had relatives cross the border in automobiles to attend a wedding. Was anyone denied, and if so, why? :s Or was it fairly straightforward, with wedding invitations and proof of strong ties to Canada?

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm interested to hear what others have to say on this as well. Mathew has a ton of family members that are planning to attend our wedding in June. It'd be awful for them to drive all the way to the border from Rouyn-Noranda and get denied. :(

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. It's really not. Make sure they have their passports, wedding invitations in hand, copy of their hotel registration, and that should be more than sufficient. It's actually NOT all that common for people to be denied entry. It's more common for those of us who are in the immigration process -- family members should be fine.

At my wedding in Buffalo, my parents and sister came down from Vancouver -- my folks and sister crossed from Vancouver, drove down to Seattle and flew to Buffalo from there. They had no problems with the border, as they were just honest. I don't believe they were asked for any proof (though they would have been able to present some if necessary). A friend of mine drove across the border into Buffalo for the wedding after-party (she accidentally missed the wedding! Thought it was on the Saturday, not on the Friday...) She, too, had no problems.

It's great to be prepared, but far more often than not, honesty and politeness will be enough to get you through the border without a hassle. Even *I* go across the border regularly, and I'm quite clearly in their system as an "immigration applicant" or something, based upon the questions they ask me. I've only been seriously concerned that they were going to turn me around or send me to secondary ONCE. And even then, they ultimately waved me through after I showed a return itinerary.

Be prepared, but don't fret about it. In all likelihood it won't be an issue. It may be to their benefit to travel one right after the other in the same lane though.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

As long as they have valid passports, I would think it wouldn't be an issue. "Where are you going? How long are you staying? Do you have any fruits, vegetables, meat, blah, blah, blah? Pop the trunk, please. The border guard takes a look and then "Have a nice day!" If they are coming from Canada, they don't even need a visa to visit, just a valid passport. Getting the passport seems to be a deterrent for some of my fiance's Canadian relatives. "It's North America, why do I have to pay to cross the border?" Good luck as you get your family ready to drive a LONG way or fly to Connecticut for the wedding.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as CBP are concerned, your family coming down are just bog-standard Canadian tourists. They just need passports. Shouldn't even need evidence of ties to Canada, just a plausible story about going down to the US for a week or three and driving back. I wouldn't expect them to need more evidence than the wedding invitations, and I'd be surprised if they even needed that.

Now if they're ferrying down some of your personal belongings, to the point where the car is obviously carrying more baggage than would normally be needed for a 2-week wedding trip, then you need some additional documentation. They'll need to be carrying a copy of your K-1 visa and entrance stamp, and a letter that goes something like this:

To whom it may concern,

My name is <NAME>. I entered the United States at <POE> on <ENTRANCE DATE>, on a K-1 Visa. My wedding will be on <DATE>. On <ENTRANCE DATE>, my parents will be entering the United States at the <POE> to attend my wedding to <USC NAME>. They will be carrying some of my personal effects, detailed on the attached inventory sheet. They have my complete permission to do so. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or my fiancee.

<NAME> and <USC NAME>

<US ADDRESS>

Daytime Phone: <PHNUM>

Cell Phone: <CELL NUM>

Attached please find a copy of my K-1 visa.

Sincerely,

<NAME>

Obviously, they'll also need the above mentioned inventory sheet.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Evidence of ties to Canada is only needed when the border officers have some other reason (visa application in progress, US spouse/fiance(e)) to suspect someone of being a significant immigration risk. Most Canadians do not need to bother, the vast majority of the time.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have crossed the border to attend a couple of weddings and it has never been an issue. My parents have crossed as well with no problems (in a separate car than me, though). It really wasn't an issue -- they simply wanted to know why we were going, when we were coming back ... the usual stuff. Like HeatDeath said, proof of ties to Canada is only really an issue when a border guard sees a reason why you might not necessarily return to Canada.

I'm sure it will be just fine :)

Edited by Dan and Ali

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. It's really not. Make sure they have their passports, wedding invitations in hand, copy of their hotel registration, and that should be more than sufficient. It's actually NOT all that common for people to be denied entry. It's more common for those of us who are in the immigration process -- family members should be fine.

Totally, agree. It's not a big deal. Thousands of people cross the border each day to visit, shop, attend family funcitons including weddings. I would not worry at all unless they are bringing their entire personal possesions with them including the couch and dining table. lol Relax!

Like the others have said it will be fine! As long as they establish they intend to return to Canada after the wedding and presenting themselves as "tourists". I had alot of family drive down from Canada for the wedding, all of them had passports and they had no problems!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

My parents, Aunt and Uncle drove down together. They did get the usual questions then the guy found out where they where headed and started with the attitude. Saying that me getting Married in the US better have the right visa cause I would be spending my Honeymoon in jail if I didn't. My Uncle set him straight, and they were let in. You may want your family to remember what type of visa you got just in case they are asked.

Danielle

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Hotel reservations, of course, thank you Wyatt's! HeatDeath, good point about them bringing my fiance's personal belongings. I don't think they will be since he'll already be here, but good to keep in mind. Thank you all for the reassurance! :)

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Timeline

Yes, make sure his family members know what type of visa he is here in the US on. My Dad came for a visit shortly after I was married and said he was visiting his daughter. They asked where I was in the States and why. When he said she was married to an American they wanted to know how I entered the States. He couldn't remember the name of the visa and kept trying to describe it to them. He finally convinced them that I had entered legally (it was a K-1) and they allowed him to enter. Ever since I have faxed him a copy of my green card that he could show at the border if asked. If you do want to make sure his parents have all of the information they might possibly need if questioned at the border you could fax them a copy of his K-1 and I-94. At the very least they should know he entered on a K-1. I honestly don't think they will have any problems, though, although it never hurts to be prepared.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Hotel reservations, of course, thank you Wyatt's! HeatDeath, good point about them bringing my fiance's personal belongings. I don't think they will be since he'll already be here, but good to keep in mind. Thank you all for the reassurance! :)

Kukolka! Congrads... I'm in CT too, so feel free to ask away with the questions if you like!!

We didn't have CDN guests in for the wedding but I agree with the rest of the thread... they will most likely be considered tourists.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.