GregBu

Advice/Answers please

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, as of very early December we have our NOA1 (California Service Center). We're waiting on our NOA2 (grrr).

My wife graduates from Grad School in very late May. If she doesn't have her Visa by then, what are her options? Our plans had been for her to move down here once she had graduated.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, she can't move down there without her visa. She can visit, but she'd have to go back to Canada for the interview.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline
No, she can't move down there without her visa. She can visit, but she'd have to go back to Canada for the interview.

Keeping in mind that she'd need to go back to Montreal for her Interview...how long could she visit for without running into any trouble with the I-130 process?

Timeline

^^^^

yepper...

I guess your options are to wait?

I don't know what else to tell ya.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

So, as of very early December we have our NOA1 (California Service Center). We're waiting on our NOA2 (grrr).

My wife graduates from Grad School in very late May. If she doesn't have her Visa by then, what are her options? Our plans had been for her to move down here once she had graduated.

Please fill in your timeline and profile information. It helps us know more how to advise you and also contributes to the VJ database that tells a more realistic story for anyone going through the same process after you. Give some, get some if you see what I mean.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Keeping in mind that she'd need to go back to Montreal for her Interview...how long could she visit for without running into any trouble with the I-130 process?

She can visit for up to 6 months. But, keep in mind that this is up to the discretion of the border guard. She'll need to prove ties that she is just a visitor and not taking up residence... so she'll need to show proof of ties to Canada if asked, a job, a lease, things that show she has ties in Canada. The immigration receipts will help, but they will not guarantee he entry.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

the longest a person can stay is 6 months HOWEVER the time alloted for a stay is at the discretion of the border agent. she would have to show proof of ties to canada ie. return ticket, lease agreement/mortage information, letter from her employer, utility statements etc.etc. and even then they may only grant her a month or even less. my advice: suck it up and wait..it hurts and it can be lonely but its by far the best way to go about it. imho.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

I know it's hard when you make plans and think it will all be together for that time. My husband and I hoped to be married in June, and it ended up in September. We first thought everything would be through fast! Boy..were we wrong!!

It will come through!! Hang in there!! She can come visit for sure, but as others said, lots of ties back to Canada, and it's up to CBP how long she could stay for. They do have the final say.

When going on this journey, we need to learn to be flexible....

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline
Please fill in your timeline and profile information. It helps us know more how to advise you and also contributes to the VJ database that tells a more realistic story for anyone going through the same process after you. Give some, get some if you see what I mean.

I think I filled that in correctly. Please tell me if I missed something.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't want to frustrate you or make the situation even worse, but I'd just like to add that unless all hell freezes over she won't have her visa by May. Wait times for an interview in Montreal are 4-5 months right now. Hopefully they will improve by the time your case is complete with NVC, but you still have a lot of processing to go, then with the interview wait time added in, you're probably looking at your wife moving to the US in the Summer/Fall.

But the others are right, she can visit for 6 months if you are both smart about it and are prepared with substantial evidence she will return to Canda.

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Timeline
I don't want to frustrate you or make the situation even worse, but I'd just like to add that unless all hell freezes over she won't have her visa by May. Wait times for an interview in Montreal are 4-5 months right now. Hopefully they will improve by the time your case is complete with NVC, but you still have a lot of processing to go, then with the interview wait time added in, you're probably looking at your wife moving to the US in the Summer/Fall.

But the others are right, she can visit for 6 months if you are both smart about it and are prepared with substantial evidence she will return to Canda.

Yeah, I'm so silly...when the processing time for I-130s, according to the USCIS.gov website table, when I check timelines, said 5 months.

There was nothing to suggest otherwise, so I thought that if they acknowledged our filing in early December, then by the end of May we should be set.

*sighs*

Thank you all for the info and advice.

Timeline

well, it looks like you're going for a CR1 visa according to your timeline! :)

It's a K1 fiancee right? that's your first change. Don't worry, it seems a little daunting and stuff now but you'll be fine and seriously? This site is amazing for support and information.

Just change your timeline to reflect your correct visa type and I think you're good...

best of luck to you, eh?

LGG

I think I filled that in correctly. Please tell me if I missed something.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline
well, it looks like you're going for a CR1 visa according to your timeline! :)

It's a K1 fiancee right? that's your first change. Don't worry, it seems a little daunting and stuff now but you'll be fine and seriously? This site is amazing for support and information.

Just change your timeline to reflect your correct visa type and I think you're good...

best of luck to you, eh?

LGG

Hmm...we were married on August 20, 2009, do I still need to change something?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.