Oosie

I want to change my name

3 posts in this topic

My UK passport never had my name right as I have a double barreled first name and no middle name. My passport just showed the first half of my name and the initial of the second word as if it was a middle name. Of course the State Dept. and USCIS insisted on everything reading just like my passport and I'm stuck with a pile of paperwork that doesn't have my real name on it.

I just completed lifting conditions on my green card and want to get my name corrected before I apply for citizenship. I am so sick of people referring to me with only half a name and every bank, doctor's office etc. insists on using what they call my legal name.

Does anyone know how I get get things changed on my green card and SS card?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can certainly go through the legal process of getting a name changed from what is on your passport, but if you are intending on applying for citizenship and have just removed conditions why not wait and do it with the citizenship application? They do give you an option to change your name on the form. It becomes a legal name change, sanctioned by a judge, and becomes your official name on your citizenship certificate. You then use the certificate to change your name with SSA and wherever else you have your name listed.

The thing about the green card is that they have to issue the green card in the same name as is in the passport with the modification of the last name through marriage as the marriage certificate is also considered a legal document for a surname change. In order to get the green card changed you would need to get the passport changed, then apply for a corrected green card and pay a substantial fee. The fastest, easiest and cheapest method of getting your name changed is with the citizenship application.

So, why not live with the incorrect name for a few more months and take the opportunity of the citizenship application to get your name where you want it to be? They even give you the opportunity to review your citizenship document prior to taking the oath to verify that the information is correct so if they get it wrong again you would have the chance to correct it before it becomes official. Your new US passport would then have the correct name as well.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.