Luckygoat

Affidavit of Support questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

1. I understand that the U.S petition always have to full out a I-864 form. But my wife do not work and she never filed tax, so in the fields where it ask for income and employer info, should I just leave them blank or state none?

2. My joint sponsor has only been a permanent resident and working in the U.S for 2 years, so he only have his last 2 W-2 etc. Can he quality or do I need to send a sponsor who has atleast 3 W-2? Should I just put none on the 3rd line for tax return info?

Also can 1 immigrant have 2 joint sponsors?

Thanks alot, I am trying my hardest ensure everything is properly done before I sent out my package to avoid delays.

Came to the U.S on a F1 visa January 2008

Got engaged to my USC girlfriend Dec 2008

DEC 29th 2009 Married

JAN 27th 2010 Medical completed Jan 27th

FEB 17th 2010 AOS + I-130 package sent

FEB 25th Got emails with all receipt # ( but not able to check on USCIS site)

FEB 28th Online status check available

MAR 1st Received Hard Copy of NOA's in the mail

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAR 9th Biometrics complete via walk-in (All docs touched on USCIS site)

MAR 26th Received interview appointment (For May 6th)

APR 23rd Touched on I-130 and I-485

APR 26th Touched on all docs, EAD card production ordered

MAY 1st Advance patrol in mail

MAY 6th Interview (Request for additional information)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

June 28th Notice of approval on USCIS website

July 3th GREEN CARD INT HE MAIL!!!

Timeline

Can someone please help

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If your wife has never been required to file tax returns then she will need to include a letter citing the appropriate part of the law.

If she's been a student that is what she would put for occupation.

The cosponsor is sending either the IRS tax transcripts or their complete tax returns along with all schedules and supporting documents (W2's, 1099's, etc.) not just W2's.

Any US citizen or LPR can be a sponsor. If your sponsor meets the income requirements then another person would not be needed. You can't combine income of sponsors unless they are household members.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
If your wife has never been required to file tax returns then she will need to include a letter citing the appropriate part of the law.

If she's been a student that is what she would put for occupation.

The cosponsor is sending either the IRS tax transcripts or their complete tax returns along with all schedules and supporting documents (W2's, 1099's, etc.) not just W2's.

Any US citizen or LPR can be a sponsor. If your sponsor meets the income requirements then another person would not be needed. You can't combine income of sponsors unless they are household members.

Thanks for the response.

So it makes no sense to send in 2 joint sponsors, since their income can not be combined? And isnt the 1099 the same as the IRS tax transcript? Excuse me if im wrong this is all new to me. My joint sponsor gave me his 1099's and w2's only.

Also what do you mean by a "letter citing the appropriate part of the law".

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A 1099 is similar to a W2. The tax return document is a 1040. Double check the numbers, you may be getting them mixed up.

An IRS transcript is obtained directly from the IRS and can be used in place of a tax return and supporting documents.

Your wife needs to refer to the law/IRS guideline that exempts her from filing a tax return. For example, if her income was below the amount required for filing she would refer to that. See the instructions on page 8 of the I-864.

Or if she was unemployed and earned no income then she would write a letter stating such.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
A 1099 is similar to a W2. The tax return document is a 1040. Double check the numbers, you may be getting them mixed up.

An IRS transcript is obtained directly from the IRS and can be used in place of a tax return and supporting documents.

Your wife needs to refer to the law/IRS guideline that exempts her from filing a tax return. For example, if her income was below the amount required for filing she would refer to that. See the instructions on page 8 of the I-864.

Or if she was unemployed and earned no income then she would write a letter stating such.

Ok so i will need 1040 (which is tax return docs) and supportin doc (W2 and 1099 which I already have)?

And I would just put student for my wife occupation, place all the tax fields blank and attach a letter stating she wasnt required file taxes?

Thanks. im jus curious are the U.S spouse or foreign?

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Timeline

ok im reading the instructions now. pretty clear except its states: Do not submit copies of your State income tax returns, in the second paragraph, then goes on to say, If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you mustinclude a copy of each and every FormW-2 and Form 1099. confusing

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.