robhankins

Approved IMBRA Waivers

62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I think we've screwed up our case. When we received the RFE we sent it back with a copy of the court records regarding a one-off domestic violence charge. We didn't ask for a waiver because I didn't think that was "a history of violence". Personally I found the forms wording ambiguous and now I think we're destined for a denial.

I wish they would at least do that quickly so we can look forward to our other options.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've screwed up our case. When we received the RFE we sent it back with a copy of the court records regarding a one-off domestic violence charge. We didn't ask for a waiver because I didn't think that was "a history of violence". Personally I found the forms wording ambiguous and now I think we're destined for a denial.

I wish they would at least do that quickly so we can look forward to our other options.

The waiver is for filing of multiple K-1 petitions. Is this the case? If not you did the right thing sounds like.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: Timeline
Allright NOW!

We have at least one Waiver Request approved. Has anyone else who submitted a waiver request gotten touched, additional RFEs, approved or any type of action at all??

We may finally see the log jam start to break. Let's bow our heads for a moment and hope for the best. Please let this elite group know if you get any action at all. We are all sitting on pins and needles waiting for news.

When you filed the Waiver request, did you attach any of the evidence stated on the RFE, or was it just a statement?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The waiver is for filing of multiple K-1 petitions. Is this the case? If not you did the right thing sounds like.

My understanding is you need a waiver for a criminal case...Nothing wrong with writing one up and sending it now....it may get there before the denial or RFE and save you....worth a shot...right now, your just wasting time.

wolf

When you filed the Waiver request, did you attach any of the evidence stated on the RFE, or was it just a statement?

I just put the a written request. I dont have any 'evidence'. Mine is a multiple filing waiver and the previous one never came here...praying for the best soon.

Wolf

3/11/06 - 3/26/06 Visited my baby in the PI's

3/29/06 - K1 packet recieved at NSC

6/01/06 - Redirected to CSC

6/14/06 - CSC e-mailed confirmation on the reciept of file

6/23/06 - They they sent the IMBRA RFE

7/03/06 - The emailed that the IMBRA RFE went out on 6/23/06

7/03/06 - I received IMBRA RFE

7/05/06 - Touched

7/06/06 - Delivery Confirmation from the Post Office RFE recieved

7/11/06 - Email notification from CSC that IMBRA RFE Recieved

7/12/06 - Touched (but was to respond to an email that only said 'request recieved and will be processed within 30 days. argh)

7/13/06 - Touched

NOA2 September 11!!!

10/18/06 - Received at Embassy

12/23/06 - Recieved package with interview/medical schedule

01/08/06 - CFO interview/(pre-departure class) Complete

1/11/07 & 1/12/07 Medical complete

02/05/07 - Interview!!!

2/7/07 (2/8/07 manila) - Informed we are approved...3 days after interview.

2/12/07 Visa Received

2/16/07 Baby arrives in US!!!!!

4/14/07 Wedding

4/21/07 Filed AOS

My understanding is you need a waiver for a criminal case...Nothing wrong with writing one up and sending it now....it may get there before the denial or RFE and save you....worth a shot...right now, your just wasting time.

wolf

I just put the a written request. I dont have any 'evidence'. Mine is a multiple filing waiver and the previous one never came here...praying for the best soon.

Wolf

No. You only need a waiver for filing of multiple K-1's over the set numerical limit. If you have one of the criminal convictions described by IMBRA you will likely be denied a waiver (some exceptions are self defense, petitioner was exposed to extreme cruelty or violence before their offense). i.e. If the USC has a conviction but has not filed more than 1 K-1 petition, no waiver is needed and is not grounds for denial.

DEAN AND SHERYL

wolf

Wolf

No. You only need a waiver for filing of multiple K-1's over the set numerical limit. If you have one of the criminal convictions described by IMBRA you will likely be denied a waiver (some exceptions are self defense, petitioner was exposed to extreme cruelty or violence before their offense). i.e. If the USC has a conviction but has not filed more than 1 K-1 petition, no waiver is needed and is not grounds for denial.

Is there a set format for this written request?

Timeline

There seems to be some difference of opinion as to whether or not a waiver request is needed for a criminal conviction. Mine is 2 previous K1 visas in sixteen years, but I read it to say that a waiver is possible even with a criminal conviction. But you won't get a waiver if you don't request it. I don't know exactly your situation, but I would sure fire off a waiver request before you are denied. It can't hurt anything to ask for a waiver. The down side of not asking is huge.

I used a plain letter with all petitioner and beneficiary information, receipt number, A#, etc as heading. Then

Paragraph that this is formal request for IMBRA waiver

Introduction - Synopsis

Situation - Description

Reason to grant waiver - reasons with notes of attached evidence and documents

Conclusion - Powerful closing statement

I took the extra effort to include a notary space and had it notarized, just to be more official and to be sure then knew I was sincere about it.

There seems to be some difference of opinion as to whether or not a waiver request is needed for a criminal conviction. Mine is 2 previous K1 visas in sixteen years, but I read it to say that a waiver is possible even with a criminal conviction. But you won't get a waiver if you don't request it. I don't know exactly your situation, but I would sure fire off a waiver request before you are denied. It can't hurt anything to ask for a waiver. The down side of not asking is huge.

I used a plain letter with all petitioner and beneficiary information, receipt number, A#, etc as heading. Then

Introduction - Synopsis

Situation - Description

I took the extra effort to include a notary space and had it notarized, just to be more official and to be sure then knew I was sincere about it.

03/20/2006 - I-129F - Sent FedEX

03/28/2006 - NOA 1 (Receipt) - NOA issued from CSC

07/03/2006 - RFE (Receipt) - RFE Received

07/07/2006 - RFE and Waiver Request - RFE arrived at CSC

09/01/2006 - NOA2 - USCIS Email - Approved w/Waiver

09/22/2006 - Electronic Version - Manila - Embassy Received

12/13/2006 - Packet 4 Received via DHL

12/21/2007 - Medical St. Lukes

12/22/2006 - St. Luke's canceled medical in progress - required additional tests in Jan for upper respiratory congestion.

12/28/2006 - Interview Canceled because of congestion and cough during medical at St. Lukes

01/09/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/10/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/11/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/12/2007 - St. Luke's for pulmonary exam - EVERYTHING CLEAR

01/15/2007 - St. Luke's for vaccinations and release of medical to USE

02/26/2007 - Interview APPROVED - 11+ months for K1 Visa

03/05/2007 - Visa in hand

03/05/2007 - CFO Completed

03/06/2007 - Arrived in Dallas

04/29/2007 - Married in Dallas

A USC criminal conviction alone is not grounds for denial therefore no waiver is required. I confirmed this with 2 different immigration attorneys also.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Timeline
A USC criminal conviction alone is not grounds for denial therefore no waiver is required. I confirmed this with 2 different immigration attorneys also.

It seems this case may fall under one of the IMBRA restricted areas. If so, he has to have a waiver or he will be declined. If it were mail fraud, I agree no waiver would be required. For his sake, I hope he files a waiver. You can encourage him not to file a waiver, but I won't.

12/22/2006 - St. Luke's canceled medical in progress - required additional tests in Jan for upper respiratory congestion.

12/28/2006 - Interview Canceled because of congestion and cough during medical at St. Lukes

01/09/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/10/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/11/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

It seems this case may fall under one of the IMBRA restricted areas. If so, he has to have a waiver or he will be declined. If it were mail fraud, I agree no waiver would be required. For his sake, I hope he files a waiver. You can encourage him not to file a waiver, but I won't.

I'm not encouraging anyone not to file a waiver. File away as far as I'm concerned ,it certainly can't hurt. At this point we don't know whether he has multiple K-1's or just criminal conviction or both.

But, again a USC conviction alone is not grounds for denial period! Why would need a waiver for something that is not grounds for denial? Think about it. It's not rocket science.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm not encouraging anyone not to file a waiver. File away as far as I'm concerned ,it certainly can't hurt. At this point we don't know whether he has multiple K-1's or just criminal conviction or both.

But, again a USC conviction alone is not grounds for denial period! Why would need a waiver for something that is not grounds for denial? Think about it. It's not rocket science.

our immigration attorney also said the same as Dean, we don't need a waiver request if we don't have multiple K-1. we have waited for the news from CSC since we sent our RFE.

Well, the IMBRA makes us scared for denial :crying: , but we have positive attitude (try to be positive)... if we have any progress, we will keep you updated...

Wish all of us the best... (F):star:

Robert (U.S.A.)------^--^------Waenphetch (Thailand)

September 27' 2005 -------------------------(Met online)

May 16' 2006---------- (Mailed application from Chiangmai, Thailand) to NSC

June 9' 2006--------- (NOA 1 Receipt date) ---CSC----

September 7' 2006------------(NOA 2 Receipt date)

December 20' 2006 (7 a.m.) -----------INTERVIEW Approved IMBRA discussed[/color]

December 24' 2006 ---------- POE - LA

December 26' 2006 ------------ Civil Marriage

December 28' 2006 ------------ Applied for SSN

January' 19' 2007 ------------- SSN Received

AOS Chicago

December 29' 2006 ----------- Mailed I-485

January' 5' 2007 -------------- NOA Receipt date (MSC)

January' 23' 2007 ------------ I-485 Transferred to CSC

January 26' 2007 ------------ Biometric done

February 7' 2007 ------------ Case pending at CSC

October 19, 2007 ------------ Approved email from CRIS (welcome notice sent on Oct 18)

March 14, 2007 ------------ Mailed I - 765

May 4, 2007 ----------- I-765 approved

May 30, 2007 ----------- got a great job at www.swipeclock.com as an Accountant

Timeline

our immigration attorney also said the same as Dean, we don't need a waiver request if we don't have multiple K-1. we have waited for the news from CSC since we sent our RFE.

Well, the IMBRA makes us scared for denial :crying: , but we have positive attitude (try to be positive)... if we have any progress, we will keep you updated...

My fiance had a waiver request sent even if it was just a very slight domestic violence he had committed many years ago. Yes, that's right it wont hurt sending waiver request. Im glad I told my fiance to file a waiver request together with the RFE to make it sure. Got approved Aug 14th, and as far as Rob said we were the first one who got the approval that falls under RFE Imbra with waiver request. I think it helped a lot.

Timeline

Jan 22, 2007 Arrived in USA

Jan 27, 2007 Wedding Day

---- AOS -------

March 31, 2007----- Submitted AOS and EAD package

April 6, 2007 ------ Package received at USCIS

April 11, 2007 ----- NOA1 ( AOS and EAD )

April 25, 2007 ------ Biometrics

April 26, 2007 ------ Touched

May 21, 2007 ------- NOA 2 ( AOS )

June 13, 2007------- Receive email from Cris, EAD Card Production ordered

June 14, 2007 ------ EAD touched

June 18, 2007 ------ EAD touched

June 21, 2007 ------ EAD email from Cris, USCIS has sent notice on the mail that EAD is approved

June 23, 2007 ------ EAD card received in the mail

July 11, 2007 ------- Initial interview ( Denver, CO ) approved- Thank God

July 17, 2007 ------- Received Welcome Notice in the mail

July 18, 2007 ------- Email Notice from Cris " Production of Card Ordered"

July 27, 2007 ------- Green Card received- God is so Good!

115590570280508.gif

Timeline

My fiance had a waiver request sent even if it was just a very slight domestic violence he had committed many years ago. Yes, that's right it wont hurt sending waiver request. Im glad I told my fiance to file a waiver request together with the RFE to make it sure. Got approved Aug 14th, and as far as Rob said we were the first one who got the approval that falls under RFE Imbra with waiver request. I think it helped a lot.

OK, we all seem to agree that non-IMBRA specified criminal cases don't require a waiver. My point is that criminal cases falling under IMBRA specific crimes like domestic violence DO require a waiver request in order to be approved. Such is the case in point; domestic violence. He must rush a waiver request unless he wants to be denied. This was the subject of his question, a "one off" domestic violence case.

Introduction - Synopsis

Situation - Description

Introduction - Synopsis

Situation - Description

There is no criminal conviction. Thank you for the information though.

OK, we all seem to agree that non-IMBRA specified criminal cases don't require a waiver. My point is that criminal cases falling under IMBRA specific crimes like domestic violence DO require a waiver request in order to be approved. Such is the case in point; domestic violence. He must rush a waiver request unless he wants to be denied. This was the subject of his question, a "one off" domestic violence case.

No, I'm sorry Rob you are wrong! You can be a convicted murderer and not need a waiver as long as you are not filing multiple K-1's. I've talked to a couple on another forum last night, he has a conviction in his past that does fall under the IMBRA specific convictions. He did not file a waiver (no need, no multiple K-1's) and they filed on 4/25/06 and just got their NOA2 on 8/3/06. Lovebug did not need to file a waiver in their case since this is his only K-1. They filed the waiver anyway, no harm, no foul. They were approved because they should have been approved not because the waiver was granted. I was once very confused on this part of the law. I'm not anymore. Again I have also confirmed this with 2 immigration attorneys and if you will notice above littleone's attorney also confirmed the same thing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.