julesv33

Can we get married in the USVI?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance is from the UK and we have applied for a K1 Visa. My question is, can we get married in the US Virgin Islands? I have read the discussions and it sounds like it is ok to honeymoon there...but is it ok to get married there? I can't find the answer anywhere?! Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiance is from the UK and we have applied for a K1 Visa. My question is, can we get married in the US Virgin Islands? I have read the discussions and it sounds like it is ok to honeymoon there...but is it ok to get married there? I can't find the answer anywhere?! Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes. US virgin Islands are a US possession and are within the United States. Be very carfeul NOT to go to any other islands and make sure your travel does not take you anywhere except directly from the US mainland to the US virgin islands and back. If you are planning a cruisse, I would be very careful about that, better to fly directly.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
you can get married anywhere you want..but if you filed 129f this means your not yet married, so if he comes here on his 129f visa, then you go there to get married, it is ok..

I am not sure what you are implying, but be careful. You can get married anywhere you want, AS LONG AS IT IS IN THE USA. He cannot come here, then go to a foreign country to get married. The US Virgin Islands are IN the USA so they are OK, so is Peurto Rico, but no other islands in the carribean and you cannot even make a stop at any other islands.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Ok, just to clarify, yes we have filed the I-129f and he will be here on a K1 Visa. We want to get married on a beach or on an island. So, we were thinking the US Virgin Islands might be really nice. We would fly directly there, not go outside US waters and not got the the British VI. If we do get married in the USVI, will there be any problems in the future, like when he applies for residency? Thanks for any help!!

Timeline
Ok, just to clarify, yes we have filed the I-129f and he will be here on a K1 Visa. We want to get married on a beach or on an island. So, we were thinking the US Virgin Islands might be really nice. We would fly directly there, not go outside US waters and not got the the British VI. If we do get married in the USVI, will there be any problems in the future, like when he applies for residency? Thanks for any help!!

No. The US Virgin Islands are US territory, they ARE the United States. Getting married in the Virgin Islands is no different than getting married in Rhode island. Hawaii is also an island, has beaches and is in the USA.

The reason you never see a VJ "flag" for the US Virgin Islands or Peurto Rico is because they ARE the US and people from there do not need visas to come to the US. They are US citizens.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline

My wife and I visited the USVI and BVI past August for our 3rd wedding anniversary. We don't really regret doing it, but wouldn't do it again, ever. It's a third world country with poverty screaming in one's face. Let me suggest Maui on Hawaii instead. Have been there many times, cheaper, nicer, cleaner, better in every way. Even my daughter flew in from Europe in order to get married there and we all agree it's as perfect as it gets for wedding and honeymoon.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Ok, that would be great if we can get married there. We're still deciding but we want to know if it is an option. If anyone knows any different, please let me know.

And regarding the poverty, I'm not worried about that. We have both lived in developing countries before so poverty is not a problem.

Thanks for the information!

I was planning my wedding in Hawaii. Unfortunately, Hawaii seems to have some problems for K1 visa. After you are married their website states it takes 60-120 days to receive your marriage certificate. I've tried calling and I've been unable to get an actual person to talk too. Additionally, they state that an "electronic certified copy" can be purchased on their website but it will take 4-6 weeks to receive. This is for already processed Marriage certificates.... so it might be 6-120 days + 4-6 weeks? Anyway, listening to the maze of recordings for their Department of Health made it abundantly clear they have no such thing as a "rush order".

Because of this, I've opted to get married at courthouse in California then fly to Hawaii where our family will enjoy a nice destination wedding with us....

If there is anyone *from* Hawaii that can shed light on this... please speak up!

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-04
I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-04
NVC Received : 2010-01-12
Consulate Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 3 Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-22
Interview Date : 2010-02-16
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2010-02-18
US Entry : 2010-03-02
Marriage : 2010-04-21
AOS Date Filed : 2010-05-29
AOS NOA Date : 2010-06-07
Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-01
Interview Date : 2011-01-12
Approval Date : 2011-01-12
Got I551 Stamp : No
Green Card: 2011-01-22

Lifting Cond Filed: 2012-11-06

Lifting Cond NOA: 2012-11-09

Lifting Cond Bio: 2012-11-30 (early @ 2012-11-28)

Lifting Cond Approval: 2013-05-28

Lifting Cond Card: *waiting*

Timeline

That might be a good option. What I didn't want to do is get married in a courthouse then have a wedding several months or a year later. But, an option could be to get married in a US state then have a wedding in the USVI. It would be nice if it could all be in one, but I don't want it to delay any of the next steps. Not sure yet what we'll do, but thanks for the heads up!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
you can get married anywhere you want..but if you filed 129f this means your not yet married, so if he comes here on his 129f visa, then you go there to get married, it is ok..

No. you can not get married where ever you want. But you can get married anywhere you want in the USA. Do not post bad information. If you don't know, then don't post.

Edited by Sinergy

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Timeline
I was planning my wedding in Hawaii. Unfortunately, Hawaii seems to have some problems for K1 visa. After you are married their website states it takes 60-120 days to receive your marriage certificate. I've tried calling and I've been unable to get an actual person to talk too. Additionally, they state that an "electronic certified copy" can be purchased on their website but it will take 4-6 weeks to receive. This is for already processed Marriage certificates.... so it might be 6-120 days + 4-6 weeks? Anyway, listening to the maze of recordings for their Department of Health made it abundantly clear they have no such thing as a "rush order".

Because of this, I've opted to get married at courthouse in California then fly to Hawaii where our family will enjoy a nice destination wedding with us....

If there is anyone *from* Hawaii that can shed light on this... please speak up!

This is a function of the jurisdiction, of course. We were told that a Vermont certificate would take 4 weeks or more to get. I spoke to the JP that married us and told her I wanted to avoid this if possible. She said she would sign off on our marriage license and give it back to me and I could take it to the town clerk myself on Monday (we got maried on Friday) I did this and the town clerk made up the marriage certificate while I waited. We got one free and I purchased 5 more originals at $5 each.

Ask around and you may find if you are willing to do some "legwork" and hand carry the documets to the proper people, you can cut the time drastically

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I just read a website that says if we return the paperwork to the courthouse ourselves in the USVI, we can leave the island with the papers. I think I will call them to confirm, but good advice on doing the legwork ourselves! Thanks!

Timeline
I just read a website that says if we return the paperwork to the courthouse ourselves in the USVI, we can leave the island with the papers. I think I will call them to confirm, but good advice on doing the legwork ourselves! Thanks!

Yep. And a note to other VJers...this "wait time" for certified marriage certificates almost always amounts to mailing time and sitting around on someone's desk time. If YOU take the paperwork to the correct office and stand there, they will usually do it while you wait. It may involve some time driving around, but if you want the papers quickly, get after it yourself. There is not much involved on filing a marriage certificate, usually a stamp and some clerks signature, it takes about 1 minute...you wait 4 weeks for them to get around to it.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.